Can someone tell me

Thread starter
Every bike from my 1965 Honda 50, to my CBR900rr, to my 1991 Sportster, even my 1969 BSA 441 Shooting Star were cool to me. And another 30 in between. Motorcycles are just plain cool
 
Mikestib1_imp said:
Every bike from my 1965 Honda 50, to my CBR900rr, to my 1991 Sportster, even my 1969 BSA 441 Shooting Star were cool to me. And another 30 in between. Motorcycles are just plain cool
Agreed...all bikes ARE cool....it's a bike's ranking on the "cool" scale which seems to be at issue, but really, it's not even about that. I think it's more about Triumph's decision, conscious or otherwise, to make their retro bike the flagship of their line and Honda's decision not to.
 
justinlself_imp said:
Triumphs are my #1 contender for new bike in Spring. I loved the CB1100 test ride but the biggest concern I have is the low exhaust/ground clearance with mild offroad. Triumph esp the Scramblers seem to avoid this issue. We'll see how my test ride fares in Spring. Might end up with a '14 CB here at work, might not!
Rode a Scrambler for 5 days this fall. Made me miss the CB. Bonnevilles were on my radar when a purchased the CB (new), but they cost just as much for about half the bike. Just didn't make sense. The CB is exquisite.

But yes, Honda just ships 'em and puts 'em on the website. Hardly enough to build brand identity / awareness!
 
Brand awareness.... this is a screenshot of the first thing you see on Triumph's page.
b671b64e31f0771cc0c5736190965b2d.jpg


Here's Honda's.
ea20302499614c733c8a310c38e22f4f.jpg


Triumph wants you to think "Triumph" in everything you do. Honda would like it if you bought a bike or ATV from them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It's the same in the UK. Whenever there's a 'Retro' comparison in the bike press, the CB is nowhere to be seen. It's as tho it doesn't exist.
Journalists spraff on about weedy Ducati Scramblers and Triumph Street Twins but never a mention of the only, other than as mentioned Guzzi, air cooled bike around.
Do I care? Not one jot.

I popped in for my usual coffee at the Bike Shed this morning, after dropping the girlfriend off to work. The only bike that people we snapping and looking at was my CB1100.
There was a GT550 custom, Guzzi Le Mans, Triumph Something. All good bikes, but people talk to me about the CB... It's a mystery.
There are endless posts and pics on the Triumphs but the CB is something of a rarity. They look and then scratch their heads and say 'Is it air cooled?' 'What's it like?' 'They only made them for two years didn't they?'

It's the enigma! I've found people want to know about it but are afraid to ask! Even more afraid to buy one...
If you buy a Triumph Retro then it's official, you are cool. You have a membership to hipster land and yes, you have become 50% more attractive to the opposite sex. But, as in the self doubt of Prufrock, do you dare to own a Honda CB1100? And have the people look at you and question your judgment

Be careful what you wish for, one of the best things about the CB is it's lack of marketing. It's a riders bike, made for people that enjoy this type of motorcycle for what it is. It's not a fashion statement, it's a bike to ride and enjoy.
It's by far and away, for me, the best bike I've ever owned. The best kept secret in motorcycling and please lord, let's keep it that way....
 
All good points via Beardy and Empty and others. Triumph is a focused brand and manufacturer. Honda probably cares more about lawnmowers, generators and 125cc bikes in India than they do about the CB. You never see anyone with a Honda Lawnmower t- shirt.

And it is cool to have a bike that confounds people a bit. If Triumph becomes too popular, and too many Bonnies crowd bike night, those who care about cool might move on. As the great Yogi Berra said about a once 'cool' bar in NYC, 'Nobody goes there any more...it's too crowded.'


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Well hey, we know what the CB is all about and in roughly twenty years when the world catches up to us. Well, I say too late suckers! :excited:
 
Capo_imp said:
All good points via Beardy and Empty and others. Triumph is a focused brand and manufacturer. Honda probably cares more about lawnmowers, generators and 125cc bikes in India than they do about the CB. You never see anyone with a Honda Lawnmower t- shirt.

And it is cool to have a bike that confounds people a bit. If Triumph becomes too popular, and too many Bonnies crowd bike night, those who care about cool might move on. As the great Yogi Berra said about a once 'cool' bar in NYC, 'Nobody goes there any more...it's too crowded.'


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:P

44fb768c0876be6eca6e30a3e44eb4d9.jpg
 
:rofl: If only I had a Honda lawnmower.
 
CB1100DLX_imp said:
Stating the obvious but Thai-rumph and H-D sell "lifestyle". Honda not so much.
Very true. I have a 2014 CB1100 standard and a 2014 HD Ultra Classic. I go into my local Harley dealer the other day and see my old salesman which I haven't bought a bike from in about six or seven years, the one prior to my current one. I get a big hug from him, he asked me to have a seat. Proceeds to show me pics of his bike, tells me about his vacation and asks how my family is doing without ever asking me about buying anything. I do small business there still like buy the shirts for friends or family and mail them or buy a part or two here and there but I always get treated like a friend in all harley dealerships. I've never er gotten that type of treatment or respect in any other motorcycle shop anywhere ever and I've owned about twenty bikes. Five being Harleys and not all bought from the same dealership. That helps keep customers around.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I've also owned one Triumph. I had a 2009 America. It was o.k. but never really loved it. I moved on quickly from that one. I am still very interested in the new Triumphs. Love the T120 and they have a new bike coming out called the street cup which is a street twin all done up as a cafe racer which looks awesome IMO. Love my CB but there are a lot of other bikes which are eye catching. With HD it's a strange thing. It's like getting accepted into a club which you didn't even join. They have BBqs at the dealer, rides, events, family days and all sorts of nonsense. I know it's all marketing but it's still fun at times, I can't deny that. Yes the bikes come at a price but Ive sold them for big money too. It all comes down to what and how you feel when riding your bike, how it handles and how it performs. Does it move your sole and make you want to ride all the time.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I've owned 5 modern Triumphs a 1995 Speed triple, a 1999 Daytona, a 2003 Speed four, an America, and a Scrambler. All have been sold. I'm keeping the CB1100 and I don't care if people buy Harleys or Triumphs.
Heck, every one of my last 50 bikes are gone, so you know how old I am. Loved and nitpickedd every one. They all had character and soul, as much as we each put in to them
 
pdedse_imp said:
If only this had been done on a Honda, things would be different:

Seriously? A WWII movie featuring an escaped US prisoner on a "JAP" bike? You have to remember where we were when that movie was made. England was an Ali. Japan was the enemy. Nuff said.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
 
OK I'm in late 20s and live in Canada so maybe things are different in the states, but here goes. :s

I am yet to see people who hate Honda motorcycles. Not that I can remember.
In my opinion, Honda is far superior to Triumph.

Back in my teenage/high school days, I've seen Honda RC51 and Fireblade roaring on the street, I've seen Honda racing in Moto GP, World Superbikes, Isle of Man TT, just like anyone else did.

To me, Triumph is slow, old man's bike. Low tech, nothing special, blah blah blah...
I knew the manufacture named Triumph existed, just because I've seen them sitting at the dealership, but they were nowhere near attractive compare to RC51 or Fireblade.

Sure, I'm no longer a teenager, I've grown up and learned to appreciate Triumph's history and all the other vintage/classic looking bikes.
So I know that motorcycle isn't about Supersport and know that Triumph is well respected motorcycle manufacture, but to me, Triumph is just...nah. At least back in my younger days.
 
Back
Top