Can someone tell me

Mikestib1_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I really don't understand why the Triumph classics are so loved and the CB1100 so hated. I own a 2013 CB and also have owned a 2014 Triumph Scrambler. The Triumph had weak brakes, decent torque, crude suspension. Are Americans just in love with all things British? I'm baffled. Honda has a racing heritage second to none. Heck they built a 6 cylinder 250. I don't get it. The CB is as true to its roots, the 69 CB750K0, as any of these Triumphs. Must be the Honda is not hip enough.
 
Could it be that the Triumphs have been around a lot longer and have the RAT club and an active forum and at least some factory support? They seem to have done some things to fan the flames for the bike that Honda has not done.

I owned two of the air cooled bikes and while they were nice they aren't even in the same class as the CB.

Price may also have been a put off. My 2012 and 2013 were a good deal less expensive that the CB...but the bikes pale in comparison to the CB. Also, for me, now that they are water cooled Triumph is dead to me =-)
 
Who hates a CB1100? No one I know. There are some who wish it had more power, and think maybe a little heavy, but those are the only complaints I have heard.

For the most part the guys that actually bought them love them.
 
Thread starter
Triumph basically copied Harley marketing with their classic. RAT rather than Hog. As the CB was manufactured in Japan rather than Thailand it had to cost more. The fact that Honda sells millions of motorcycles world wide makes them a lot of money but also makes them non exclusive.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Who hates a CB1100? No one I know. There are some who wish it had more power, and think maybe a little heavy, but those are the only complaints I have heard.

For the most part the guys that actually bought them love them.
I agree, I haven't seen any hate per se, just wishes for it to be better in some areas. I love mine and will be keeping it for the duration. The way it came out of the box satisfies all my needs.
I also own a 2006 Triumph Bonneville and love it for what it is, but it doesn't hold a candle to the CB.
There is no comparison between the two and there never was or will be. As good as the new generation of Triumphs may be, I don't think they can hold a candle to the CB either, but that's just an opinion and is based on no experience or knowledge.
But I'll let you in on a little secret, if I didn't already have the Bonnie I would be looking at newer generation very hard.
 
Thread starter
Maybe hate was the wrong word. But the CB 1100's sure languished in showrooms in the US. So unloved is better. I love mine and as it sat awhile a 2013 I purchased a month ago new at a $4000 discount from original list. Doesn't hurt that my wife thinks it's the best looking bike of the last 13 bikes I bought in the past 13 years. This one's a keeper.
 
As a multiple Triumph and CB owner, I can speak to it a bit. It isn't hate, it's just that Triumph hit it out of the park with a broadly appealing line of bikes, supported by good marketing and massive accessory/ aftermarket support. And yes, right now, British bikes and the entire cafe / retro scene is favorable to Triumph, as is the tilt to European bikes in general after the 2008 crash caused the Japanese brands to go into the fetal position for 5 or 6 years. Motorbikes are not rational purchases, so trying to compare them on specs or even someone else's rationale is a waste of time.

Honda has done virtually nothing to elevate the CB other than dump it in US showrooms with no promotion at a higher price than the market will bear. Even how they dealt with the moto press. One of my journalist friends told me of a Honda rep handing him the keys in a parking lot to a launch bike in '13 and saying 'just be careful.' No prep, not conversation, nothing.How involving.

The CB is a beautiful bike, and you should be proud to own it. But the market is the market. I'd be happy with the $$ savings and the ability to stand out a bit.
 
Triumphs are my #1 contender for new bike in Spring. I loved the CB1100 test ride but the biggest concern I have is the low exhaust/ground clearance with mild offroad. Triumph esp the Scramblers seem to avoid this issue. We'll see how my test ride fares in Spring. Might end up with a '14 CB here at work, might not!
 
Not to derail, but I think you could add Moto Guzzi to the bastion of the unloved. Terrific motorcycles, strong racing pedigree (from the 50's), great styling and engineering, but zero marketing support in the US and an even weaker dealer network. Like the CB in certain respects, the brand deserves better.
 
Thread starter
Honda produces so many bikes in so many countries it's naive to think they'll spend a lot of money on the CB 1100 which is sort of a halo bike only sold in a few markets. Their revenue comes from Asia where the motorcyclists have limited income. I've owned 2 Guzzi's when I lived in Baltimore with dealer support. A 2000 Jackal and a 2003 Ballabio. Loved them both, plus you could do most of the maintenance at home. Don't expect I can do a valve adjustment on my Honda. On top of it all, Honda has become an automobile company
 
Triumph has spared no expense in marketing their products, attended the Bobber party last week locally and saw several of their new models - quite nice looking with classic styling. Pricing seemed quite a bit excessive to me, hard pressed to get out the door with a new bike for less than $16K.
Guzzi makes a very nice bike but there is basically no dealer network in my area.
I seem to want every motorcycle I see!
 
Mikestib1_imp said:
Triumph basically copied Harley marketing with their classic. RAT rather than Hog. As the CB was manufactured in Japan rather than Thailand it had to cost more. The fact that Honda sells millions of motorcycles world wide makes them a lot of money but also makes them non exclusive.
actually

MSRP on the Honda CB1100 DLX was $ 10,399

MSRP on the Triumph T120 in solid color is $11,750 and for the 2 tone $12000
 
Thread starter
Actually the 2017 CB 1100 shouldn't be less than the Triumph. But with a strong dollar and a weak pound and yen,who knows? But then no Harley or Indian should cost more than a Ducati. We buy what we buy. As far as I know the 2017 price is TBD, on their site. Was price and is price are not comparable
 
true but all we have to go by at this point
 
The ferret_imp said:
Mikestib1_imp said:
Triumph basically copied Harley marketing with their classic. RAT rather than Hog. As the CB was manufactured in Japan rather than Thailand it had to cost more. The fact that Honda sells millions of motorcycles world wide makes them a lot of money but also makes them non exclusive.
actually

MSRP on the Honda CB1100 DLX was $ 10,399

MSRP on the Triumph T120 in solid color is $11,750 and for the 2 tone $12000
actually

MSRP on the Honda CB1100 DLX was $ 10,399

MSRP on the Triumph T120 in solid color is $11,750 and for the 2 tone $12000

The 2014 DLX was $11,899.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
No matter, at least Honda committed to a 2017 model and some teaser flat trackers, I'm keeping my 2013
I like the Honda/ Triumph thing. Reminds me of the sixties and the Harley vs Triumph. There's a seat for every butt, or something like that. The more bikes on the road the better for all.
 
Want my take? Of course you do. LOL

In another thread, someone mentioned "cooler" or some derivative of the word "cool" and I think that person had a point that may be relevant here.

The Triumphs and Honda motorcycles which we are comparing are both retro-modern bikes. Both retain the model name (more or less) from their respective inspiration bike (Bonneville and CB). Both are trying to reach potential customers who remember or at least appreciate the original bikes. I contend, that the Bonneville was always the "cooler" bike at least in the US because a) they were here long before the CBs and b) they ultimately were the rarer of the two bikes (in the 70s and 80s at least). I would contend that Honda CBs became so popular because they were the affordable and reliable alternative to the Bonneville so, in a way, the original CB750 may have been a "retro-modern" version of the aging 1960's Bonnevilles. My point is that the Triumph may have been considered the "cooler" of the two bikes back then and so they just might be considered the cooler of the two bikes by those same folks 50 years later. Maybe/Maybe not. Just my opinion.

There may be another reason that the Bonneville gets more notoriety than the CB now, and that's the marketing of it as Capo has so often and so intelligently mentioned in the past. One thing that Capo has alluded to that might be worthy of a deeper look is the strong emphasis that Triumph as put on their retro bike(s) as opposed to Honda's. Here's a test for you: What's Honda's "Flagship" motorcycle? What's Triumph's "Flagship" motorcycle? Let me guess... Goldwing and Bonneville, right? Not sure if the manufacturers would agree, but I bet that most everyone reading this would answer that way. When I Google Triumph Motorcycle USA and click on 'images', the first picture I see is a Bonneville. When I do the same with Honda Motorcycle USA, I get an F6B first. It is clear to me that Triumph is trying to carve out a niche in the 'standard bike' market and Honda is just trying to have at least one bike in that arena. Again....just my opinion on the matter. I love my 2013 CB and I like owning Hondas. I think they're cool.
 
Back
Top