Can anybody think of a bike with these properties?

postoak_imp

Been there
Thread starter
1) Naked or near naked
2) 4 cylinder
3) Cruise control
4) Gear Indicator
5) Wet clutch
6) Some forward body lean (10 - 15 degrees)
7) Standard foot position
8) Shaft or belt drive
9) Less than 100 HP

I can't think of one but maybe you guys with more experience can.
 
Yamaha MT 10 (my son has one) it also has the best sounding motor in the world IMO


edit..missed the shaft or belt drive part. The MT 10 has a chain

You can always get an FJR and leave off the bags..it has all of the above (note I have touring windshield on in this pic and not the sport shield which is 8" shorter I run all summer lol)

0a27600dee204d076a0708dc1b55b144.jpg
 
Thread starter
I use my gear indicator and cruise control constantly. I can do without a fuel gauge, traction control, and rider modes.

I added a HP qualification which eliminates the FJR1300 and the Ducati Diavel.
 
GS850G

I like your list of requirements. Mine would be similar, though I'd also add fuel injection and ABS. The ol' Suzuki had neither.
 
Thread starter
Oops, I forgot, must have tach. I believe you are correct, no such animal.

What 2-cyl (or 3-cyl) would meet all these requirements? Cruise control and/or foward lean angle usually eliminates them.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
GS850G

I like your list of requirements. Mine would be similar, though I'd also add fuel injection and ABS. The ol' Suzuki had neither.
Also didn't have cruise, but it was a great bike. I had an 81. Root beer brown. Loved it.

97062642ef7bf356e1e678671eb5a42d.jpg


I'd love a bike with all of poastoaks requirements.
 
Thread starter
m in sc - that's a good point if they aren't common I should do a rethink without that requirement. I was just looking at the Throttlemeister which is a very clean and simple solution for an aftermarket cruise control.
 
I've decided final drive is not something to be considered in a motorcycle buying decision if the machine ticks all/most other boxes. If you are really averse to chain maintenance, Gold Oxide has posted some good info on automatic chain oilers than run very clean.
 
m in sc_imp said:
1983 nighthawk cb650.
Since m_in_sc's response was posted before the model year restriction, I will ...

(+1)

I would also suggest the '84 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk /w aftermarket throttle lock.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
If cruise is out of the equation, then one twin that checks all of the boxes is the Moto Guzzi V7iii (750cc, 48 hp, shaft drive).
I looked at the V7 and V9 but they're dry clutches and most reviewers say the clutches engag very fast and it was hard to make smooth launches.

If we drop the drive shaft requirement and the cruise control requirement then the Z900RS comes closest to the requirements.
 
postoak_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
If cruise is out of the equation, then one twin that checks all of the boxes is the Moto Guzzi V7iii (750cc, 48 hp, shaft drive).
I looked at the V7 and V9 but they're dry clutches and most reviewers say the clutches engag very fast and it was hard to make smooth launches.

If we drop the drive shaft requirement and the cruise control requirement then the Z900RS comes closest to the requirements.
I looked at the V7 and V9 but they're dry clutches and most reviewers say the clutches engag very fast and it was hard to make smooth launches.

If we drop the drive shaft requirement and the cruise control requirement then the Z900RS comes closest to the requirements. You're right, my mistake -- the V7 has a dry clutch.
 
2018 softail lowrider fits once you said 2 cyl. if by lean you mean upper body and you have short arms like me. cruise is optional, but there is a factory cruise available.
 
O ring and X ring chains are reliable and require little maintenance and have made shaft drive less an issue with me. I would like to see more models with throttle by wire and electronic speed control.
 
Thread starter
I guess I did my research properly when I bought the FJR1300 -- there really isn't a better bike for me. My main problem with it now (after installing mirror extenders) is that the clutch lever is the hardest to pull of any bike I've owned and using it isn't good for the hand I had surgery on last year. I can convert the clutch to the one on the 2016 (which has a much easier pull and a slipper function) for about $500 and I think I'll go ahead and do that.
 
Well the FJR is a great bike. A little heavy, but it does a yeomans job at all riding circumstances ( except off road). If you can get the clutch to suit you, it will ssrve you well.
 
Back
Top