Bummed by a test ride

Pterodactyl I'm so very pleased you still have the Crapislava. You'll be able to give your piles a break and ride it to Phillip Island. I'll be riding my C90. I've got it running on 2-stroke irony.
 
I'm wondering why this thread is still rolling. I think co6aka is attesting to insult the the CB 1100 perhaps having to much time on his hands. Sounds like he needs to roll to a bike forum that sparks his interest or perhaps he has no interest just a mere connection to the internet. I see no need to defend the way my bike sounds or runs I'm a happy boy.

Have a charming day..
 
co6aka,

The video that you are referring to is mine. I should note that not only was my CB1100 pretty new back then, but so was the GoPro camera that I was using. I had the camera mounted to the handlebar using four extension pieces. This created quite a bit of added vibration noise when I revved the engine more. This is not actually reflective of what the CB1100 sounds like in my opinion. And as many have pointed out, the sound in the video is pretty horrible to begin with. I'm still figuring out the whole GoPro thing to be honest.

On the flip side, you can watch this video that was made after I installed my Staintune. On this one you can hear more of the exhaust due to the camera mount position. While the video is short, my revs reach into the zone that you're referring to without any sounds of strain that I can detect:


Regardless of any of the videos, you felt what you felt on your test ride and that's really what matters. That's what test rides are for and in this case I'd say that you were fortunate to be able to do so if for no other reason than to determine that the CB1100 isn't the bike for you. We don't all like the same things.
 
^^^^^^ Well said Guth. You are far more reasonable than me and I can only admire you for it. I do like the sound of the Staintune and the engine. Certainly no sound of Straintune there :).

Cheers
 
co6aka_imp said:
Can someone pls tell me point blank if the engine response and sound as shown in virtualGuth video (7:35-8:15) normal and typical of CB1100? Because this was pretty much my experience on the test ride, and I didn't like it.

Normally this might be considered splitting hairs and overly nit-picking, but we all know that Honda engineers spent an obsessive amount of effort to get it 'just right'. So I just want to know if this is the expected end result? Because if it is normal, and expected, I would like to know if a pipe or a tune can change it.
I'm not sure why I'm respondeing to your question, this thread should have been closed some time ago. But maybe this will clear things up for you, if not maybe its time to move on to some other forum to dis-like there ride.

 
The thread is still open because it has not gotten out of hand. There has been no name calling, no obscenity laced tirades, just good reasonable responses to some pretty weird (Imo) questions. Our members have shown that even though someone doesn't care for our particular motorcycle of choice, that we have obviously found the motorcycle that is the right choice for us. I have enjoyed reading the defenses for the CB 1100 that our membership has posted up. Rational, logical and truthful, if not somewhat emotional. There has only been one word I recall that I had an objection to and in this case it was being used as a proper name so not much I could do about that lol

Not sure where the OP is actually going with this at this point. Like dUh, we can see his dislike for revvy bikes, and on the other hand his dislike for non revvy bikes. I've wondered if this is an old forum member who shared a similar yin/yang in the past, only using a different alias (no mention of the obviously superior W800 though, and I'm sure he would have slipped that in somewhere by now lol). He is sure to tire of not getting the responses he is looking for, or decide the CB 1100 is not right for him after all, and go elsewhere.

Will keep an eye on it and if it's obvious this is getting worse or that the OP is just trolling I will lock it down. If the members quit responding it will die on its own, but obviously some still feel the need to defend the big CB.

If you disagree with what I said, PM me and we can discuss it, but I get enough grief around here as it is for shutting down threads too early (or at all).
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Nice vid CIP. 0 - 100 in? Yeeeehah!

Cheers
I think I finally figured out why me mileage is so good. I'm in 6th gear by the time I hit 40mph. :P

Not that I CAN'T hit the ton, mind you, but it would take me about 10 minutes. :sleepy:
 
Taken at face value the gentleman is in transition from a bike type that he liked at one point but now, not so much; to something new, yet does not have a real firm grasp of what he wants so he uses the only metric he has - his high strung racer bikes. It appears there were a lot of aspects of the former that he really liked which is making moving on difficult because he's not sure what he'll like on a different bike.

I suspect, still assuming he is on the level with us, he may end up with three or more bikes in fairly quick order until he finds a new direction to go in.

Otherwise, we need to come clean on the Rev Oil we use to make our bikes sound this way. :angel:
 
Rev oil? :rofl: oh lord thats funny

Same here Short Timer.... Actually it's taken me two years and I haven't got there yet. :-/
 
I rode the CB1000R and the CB1100. The 1K would rev as high as you like. The 1100 was designed to just lope along at pretty low revs. It felt a little odd to me at first. But after I got used to it, I thought it was great. I've even taken a second test ride to shake out my test rides on the Valkyrie, CB500, NC700, CTX700, CBR250, VFR800 and a couple others, just in case I was a little confused at that point. Each was great. But, having been on the planet for half a century now, the CB1100 is the most ME. - They could have made the engine smoother and faster. But the idea was a relaxing ride and not the other way around. The VFR is fast. The CB1000R is fast and will rev to the moon and keep building power. But then if you are not building a front bias machine, you're likely low siding at some point, or like a lot of Harley riders, just not getting the heavy beast to slow down as fast as it speeds up! The CB1100 is designed to be exactly what it is and they spent a lot of time making it just that way, and discussing horsepower, cams, vibes, sound and so on.
 
Thread starter
Wow. Guth, you just sold me a bike... Staintune, of course!! This is *it*. What a rush! I watched every YouTube video with it, and unless they've been edited, I absolutely love the sound.. so deep and sonic, like the baseline of Bach fugue :cool: WOW. Pls don't tell me U edited it with reverb or something...

Does it require PCM remap, or just slips on?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Hmmm Oregon...virtualGuth... Wonder who that might be?
To some of us, he's always 'virtual'. Although, to play to RandyB's prejudice, I kept worrying he'd run flat out into someone coming the other way as he kept riding on the wrong side of the road. :P

ClassicVW_imp said:
You're not the only one, firstfour. It is perfect for me too.
Well, I may be the only one, but I love my CB just as it is. It is, for my purposes, perfect. Honda hit the bull's eye with me. :D
+1
You're not the only one, firstfour. It is perfect for me too.
I think that makes it +3.
To some of us, he's always 'virtual'. Although, to play to RandyB's prejudice, I kept worrying he'd run flat out into someone coming the other way as he kept riding on the wrong side of the road. :P

ClassicVW_imp said:
You're not the only one, firstfour. It is perfect for me too.
Well, I may be the only one, but I love my CB just as it is. It is, for my purposes, perfect. Honda hit the bull's eye with me. :D
+1
You're not the only one, firstfour. It is perfect for me too.
I think that makes it +3.
DITTO here!
 
co6aka_imp said:
Can someone pls tell me point blank if the engine response and sound as shown in virtualGuth video (7:35-8:15) normal and typical of CB1100? Because this was pretty much my experience on the test ride, and I didn't like it.

Normally this might be considered splitting hairs and overly nit-picking, but we all know that Honda engineers spent an obsessive amount of effort to get it 'just right'. So I just want to know if this is the expected end result? Because if it is normal, and expected, I would like to know if a pipe or a tune can change it.
co6aka_imp said:
Wow. Guth, you just sold me a bike... Staintune, of course!! This is *it*. What a rush! I watched every YouTube video with it, and unless they've been edited, I absolutely love the sound.. so deep and sonic, like the baseline of Bach fugue :cool: WOW. Pls don't tell me U edited it with reverb or something...

Does it require PCM remap, or just slips on?
So, co6aka, work with me here. Treat this thread as a sort of group therapy session. I wondered when I first saw the first post I've quoted whether the problem was revs or noise. Now I'm really wondering.

Which is it? Or will we spend hours being helpful only to have you move the goal posts again? Doesn't matter, I guess; it's been fun so far.

The Staintune sounds good. I've heard one. But it doesn't make the bike rev any harder.
 
co6aka_imp said:
Wow. Guth, you just sold me a bike... Staintune, of course!! This is *it*. What a rush! I watched every YouTube video with it, and unless they've been edited, I absolutely love the sound.. so deep and sonic, like the baseline of Bach fugue :cool: WOW. Pls don't tell me U edited it with reverb or something...

Does it require PCM remap, or just slips on?
Mate, are you subtly stirring the pot here, or am I an overly sensitive and easily bruised little thing?

The stock CB does not REQUIRE anything. Not one single little thing. On the other hand, you may choose to do what you WANT to it to suit your own needs, both physical and psychological. There would be innumerable threads on this forum illustrating that.

Cheers, and don't forget, post pictures of the new bike. Any particular colour in mind?
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
co6aka_imp said:
Wow. Guth, you just sold me a bike... Staintune, of course!! This is *it*. What a rush! I watched every YouTube video with it, and unless they've been edited, I absolutely love the sound.. so deep and sonic, like the baseline of Bach fugue :cool: WOW. Pls don't tell me U edited it with reverb or something...

Does it require PCM remap, or just slips on?
Mate, are you subtly stirring the pot here, or am I an overly sensitive and easily bruised little thing?

The stock CB does not REQUIRE anything. Not one single little thing. On the other hand, you may choose to do what you WANT to it to suit your own needs, both physical and psychological. There would be innumerable threads on this forum illustrating that.

Cheers, and don't forget, post pictures of the new bike. Any particular colour in mind?
Mate, are you subtly stirring the pot here, or am I an overly sensitive and easily bruised little thing? The stock CB does not REQUIRE anything.
I am thinking you read something different into what he was asking, or either I did. I understood him to be asking about the Staintune exhaust. Once it is installed, does it require a remap, or just slip on and you are done.
 
Thread starter
I am trying to figure out if this is the bike I will enjoy; it's no easy task, given very limited exposure to it.. While i loved it, there were some things I didn't like... One thing that stood out clearly was the raspy, unhappy tone of the engine as it revved up past the sweet spot of 3K rpm. That was a very tangible impression; most of the videos that i watched seemed to confirm it. So I asked here, and got a bit more than I asked for :D

From the feedback, and esp. the videos of aftermarket ehaust, it seems that the Staintune pipe is perfect solution to my problem. I had been considering a black Moriwaki pipe on an all-black bike for aesthetic purposes, but, for me, the Staintune sound can't be beat: it is simply music to my ears.

i also know what subtle customizations to do, to make the bike visually perfect to my tastes, so we are getting there. There are some other concerns about the ride itself that I am not sure I should be asking... Some people are taking it here a bit personal. Maybe a second test ride would help.
 
OK, no worries mate. My sincere apologies if I have caused offence.

I have fitted a Staintune. Not because I wanted the noise but because I wrote off the OEM in a lowside. But that's another story. Staintune doesn't cater for the IEV so the actuating cable needs to be removed. Great sound but tends to pop on decelleration. The best solution to this is to do a PAIR valve mod. Much better. As far as performance is concerned it doesn't NEED remap(PCV), or flashing. However some on the forum have done done so to enhance performance and remove both speed and rev limiters. There are many posts, and threads,on this subject on the forum. CIP57, Ridem32 and others are the Gurus of Grunt. Refer to their posts and threads. Probably a good idea to have a careful read of these before too much discussion on this thread. You know, preparation leads to informed discussion. My own view, for what it's worth, is that I am happy with the CBs stock performance. And I have ridden bikes with a lot of horses so that is not an issue. I just like the CB for what it is. If I want more thrills I will get EBR to re-engine it for me ;). Now that would be a WILD CHILD.

Cheers
 
Back
Top