Bummed by a test ride

Gentlemen,

I love running my CB11 up through the gears at full throttle all the way to redline in every gear. Unlike a couple sport bikes I've owned where similar behavior made me feel like I was courting death the big CB is fast enough to be thrilling without scarring the hell out of me. I bought the bike for its air cooled character and I think it feels and sounds amazingly good when ridden hard. Three years of ownership and though I've got a garage full of motorcycles, I like the CB11 best by far. Cheers.

Chip
 
Chip, I'd really like to have a go at what you are doing.

When you do that, how do you deal with the fact that the next gear is actually going to slow you down at first? Do you add in some throttle to speed-match? For example, if I shift from 1st to 2nd at 52 mph, its going to be like I applied the brake.
 
postoak_imp said:
Chip, I'd really like to have a go at what you are doing.

When you do that, how do you deal with the fact that the next gear is actually going to slow you down at first? Do you add in some throttle to speed-match? For example, if I shift from 1st to 2nd at 52 mph, its going to be like I applied the brake.
Not if you don't roll off the throttle.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

I love running my CB11 up through the gears at full throttle all the way to redline in every gear. Unlike a couple sport bikes I've owned where similar behavior made me feel like I was courting death the big CB is fast enough to be thrilling without scarring the hell out of me. I bought the bike for its air cooled character and I think it feels and sounds amazingly good when ridden hard. Three years of ownership and though I've got a garage full of motorcycles, I like the CB11 best by far. Cheers.

Chip
You mean 1st thru 3rd :)
 
CIP57_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

I love running my CB11 up through the gears at full throttle all the way to redline in every gear. Unlike a couple sport bikes I've owned where similar behavior made me feel like I was courting death the big CB is fast enough to be thrilling without scarring the hell out of me. I bought the bike for its air cooled character and I think it feels and sounds amazingly good when ridden hard. Three years of ownership and though I've got a garage full of motorcycles, I like the CB11 best by far. Cheers.

Chip
You mean 1st thru 3rd :)
You mean 1st thru 3rd :)
Good point. And I do believe this bike has plenty of power, at least for us old farts that ride it :biker:
 
Stay on the throttle? So lightning quick shifts then? I can't do that and besides I don't want to abuse my gears and forks that way. But I can rev-match. I'll try that tomorrow.
 
postoak_imp said:
Stay on the throttle? So lightning quick shifts then? I can't do that and besides I don't want to abuse my gears and forks that way. But I can rev-match. I'll try that tomorrow.
I guess rev-matching is what I mean. I preload the shifter a bit and then pull the clutch in and let it out as fast as I can. It seems to work well and I don't feel like it causes any drama for the transmission or anything.
 
CIP57_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

I love running my CB11 up through the gears at full throttle all the way to redline in every gear. Unlike a couple sport bikes I've owned where similar behavior made me feel like I was courting death the big CB is fast enough to be thrilling without scarring the hell out of me. I bought the bike for its air cooled character and I think it feels and sounds amazingly good when ridden hard. Three years of ownership and though I've got a garage full of motorcycles, I like the CB11 best by far. Cheers.

Chip
You mean 1st thru 3rd :)
You mean 1st thru 3rd :) How do you know he didn't have a reflash and remove the speed limitation? :thumbsup:
 
postoak_imp said:
Chip, I'd really like to have a go at what you are doing.

When you do that, how do you deal with the fact that the next gear is actually going to slow you down at first? Do you add in some throttle to speed-match? For example, if I shift from 1st to 2nd at 52 mph, its going to be like I applied the brake.
Ladies and Germs,

Sign up for a track day and take the New Rider school. Better way to learn than on an Internet forum.

Regards,

Wolf Fang
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Chip, I'd really like to have a go at what you are doing.

When you do that, how do you deal with the fact that the next gear is actually going to slow you down at first? Do you add in some throttle to speed-match? For example, if I shift from 1st to 2nd at 52 mph, its going to be like I applied the brake.
Ladies and Germs,

Sign up for a track day and take the New Rider school. Better way to learn than on an Internet forum.

Regards,

Wolf Fang
Ladies and Germs,

Sign up for a track day and take the New Rider school. Better way to learn than on an Internet forum.

Regards,

Wolf Fang Or, borrow a friend's bike :rofl::rofl:
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Chip, I'd really like to have a go at what you are doing.

When you do that, how do you deal with the fact that the next gear is actually going to slow you down at first? Do you add in some throttle to speed-match? For example, if I shift from 1st to 2nd at 52 mph, its going to be like I applied the brake.
Ladies and Germs,

Sign up for a track day and take the New Rider school. Better way to learn than on an Internet forum.

Regards,

Wolf Fang
Ladies and Germs,

Sign up for a track day and take the New Rider school. Better way to learn than on an Internet forum.

Regards,

Wolf Fang Or, borrow a friend's bike :rofl::rofl:
Ladies and Germs,

Sign up for a track day and take the New Rider school. Better way to learn than on an Internet forum.

Regards,

Wolf Fang Or, borrow a friend's bike :rofl::rofl: Greetings All,

You are TOO funny, dude!

Toodles,

Wolfie
 
I will say from my limited ride time on the new bike so far it is very tame. Not underpowered..but certainly less of a ramp up in power as the revs climb than my '82 KZ750 LTD 4 cyl.

Heck, even my original '76 CB750 came on the pipe better..to steal some 2 stroke terminology.

So yea- put me in the group that will buy cams for this engine if and when they ever become available.

:)
 
Back
Top