Bummed by a test ride

I do find it interesting my Street Triple and my CB 1100 are two totally different machines with one purpose. Get you from point A to point B it depends on how you want to get there. I'm a pilot My plane is a 1949 Piper Vagabond I also fly other planes but my top choice is the Piper. Because I enjoy the ride yes it does take longer to get there from here but it is always the journey along the way. Same can be said about motorcycles.

Thanks,
 
Thread starter
Here's what I am talking about. Take a look then at this guy's video...


4:00-4:30 normal cruising, quite enjoyable
7:37-8:15 revving up - ???
 
co6aka_imp said:
Yes, 'lazy revs' would be a good way to call it. It is also the subtle feedback from the engine as it revs up, and the 'strained' sound it makes... And how it completely relaxes going back to 3000 rpm. Perhaps I was expecting a little sharper throttle response, and a more happier sounding engine as it revs up. Perhaps the gearing is more relaxed too, compared to more 'sporty' bikes?

I checked the dyno charts for the Cb1100, FZ09 (too sensitive/ too strong), and Triumph 675 (perfect feel), and the torque curve is flat for all; for the CB1100 torque starts sloping down at about 6500rpm, but pretty much all three bikes have a very linear power curve, with essentially the same slope. In fact, i did not feel the lack of power at any time, just its relaxed delivery and somewhat 'strained' sounding engine.
co6aka_imp said:
Here's what I am talking about. Take a look then at this guy's video...


4:00-4:30 normal cruising, quite enjoyable
7:37-8:15 revving up - ???


In addition to my last post:

Mate you should tell us a little bit about yourself here:

New Members

That way we can get a clearer idea of what you need in a bike. The CB doesn't sound like it's for you. Despite being populated by CB lovers this forum has a lot of experienced bikers who have ridden a broad spectrum of bikes, past and current. They are also a helpful mob. Hence my suggestion of a Sprint GT.

Cheers
 
Hmmm Oregon...virtualGuth... Wonder who that might be?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hmmm Oregon...virtualGuth... Wonder who that might be?
To some of us, he's always 'virtual'. Although, to play to RandyB's prejudice, I kept worrying he'd run flat out into someone coming the other way as he kept riding on the wrong side of the road. :P

ClassicVW_imp said:
You're not the only one, firstfour. It is perfect for me too.
Well, I may be the only one, but I love my CB just as it is. It is, for my purposes, perfect. Honda hit the bull's eye with me. :D
+1
You're not the only one, firstfour. It is perfect for me too.
I think that makes it +3.
 
He certainly drives a lot of places I'm familiar with. I should have known that since we both bought our bikes at the same dealership.
 
co6aka_imp said:
Yes, 'lazy revs' would be a good way to call it. It is also the subtle feedback from the engine as it revs up, and the 'strained' sound it makes... And how it completely relaxes going back to 3000 rpm. Perhaps I was expecting a little sharper throttle response, and a more happier sounding engine as it revs up. Perhaps the gearing is more relaxed too, compared to more 'sporty' bikes?

I checked the dyno charts for the Cb1100, FZ09 (too sensitive/ too strong), and Triumph 675 (perfect feel), and the torque curve is flat for all; for the CB1100 torque starts sloping down at about 6500rpm, but pretty much all three bikes have a very linear power curve, with essentially the same slope. In fact, i did not feel the lack of power at any time, just its relaxed delivery and somewhat 'strained' sounding engine.
I think there is the answer for you. I suggest getting a Triumph 675.

I just remembered you didn't like the styling of the new ones, so perhaps a nice, low miles used one could do the trick?

co6aka_imp said:
Here's what I am talking about. Take a look then at this guy's video...


4:00-4:30 normal cruising, quite enjoyable
7:37-8:15 revving up - ???
The "straining" you describe must be a subtlety that is lost on me. Sounds fine as far as I can tell. :huh:
 
Maybe I am having an off day.
You’re not happy of other bikes needing to be revved high, yet you don’t like that the CB seems strained in higher rev’s. I interpret this as your tired of pulling higher RPM’s but then when you find a bike that doesn’t have to live on the high end, you fault it for not liking it ?? Why are you trying to ride around at max RPM’s anyways when you did say, you’re tired of bikes needing to be ran in its higher RPM range?

1)The CB changes over time as it goes through its break-in period.
2)The only time I hear a strain from my CB, (EXAMPLE imagine LOWER MPH) is when I think I’m in 2ND and rolling into the throttle and then realizing I’m still in 4th. Yeah, it doesn’t really like that so much, but it still does what I ask it to. My gut reaction to eliminating a strained CB motor sound, downshift, twist the throttle, and hang on.
3)Going from bike to bike, sometimes you have to change your riding style just a bit, to give the machine a chance to shine under its own parameters. If you’re not willing to do that, then you are going to have a hard time finding another bike that isn’t the first bike you ever liked and got used to.
4) The CB is not a Sport Bike and the comparisons to a Sporty or Sport bike – is always going to leave something to be desired. Just pick up any US Motorcycle magazine and you will get the same comments from them about the CB not being as sporty as (insert some other sporty bike). The CB is not a Sport Bike. The CB is not a drag bike. Why must everyone try to compare a CB1100 to a GSXR1000(insert any similar bike of your choice here), just because they are 4 cylinders and 1,000CC Bikes. The CB was never designed, or intended to be a Sport bike cruising around in its upper RPM band.

What I find really odd, is that you posted a link to Ashonbikes review of the CB. Even that review itself “Spin it into the red line above 9,000rpm and it feels flat, but that's not what the bike is about,” “This is very much a low and mid-range engine” confirming that the CB is not about high rev riding. If you look into more reviews, they all say the same thing. The CB was never designed, intended, or even seems to be happy about riding around at max RPM ranges …. So I find it odd that you would even question or look for yet even more confirmation that the CB doesn’t like every day riding at 9,000 RPM as you state “Thus i spent most of the ride at 3K RPM, out of the ~9K available on tach.” in your post.

The CB is a Retro Standard bike. You either accept it for what it is with all its unique characteristics(Not anything like a sport or sportier bike), and love it, or walk away from it. Those that have stuck with it, have found that the CB is a very capable bike, and unless your just doing drag race runs, is only limited by the riders capabilities.

I by no means am wanting any answers to these questions. Seriously. I rarely post replies, due to the fact I have a tendency to sound abrasive or even douchbaggish when I’m really not intending that. I just see you waffling on your posts about not liking high RPM bikes, yet don’t like the CB motor because its dislike of high RPM riding. I am just trying to point out what you yourself have said, in hopes that you sit and think - what do you really want from your motorcycle, and what can you live with? Ultimately it’s your money and your decision. I wish you luck.

I'm going back to my corner to be quiet
 
dUh!_imp said:
Maybe I am having an off day.
You’re not happy of other bikes needing to be revved high, yet you don’t like that the CB seems strained in higher rev’s. I interpret this as your tired of pulling higher RPM’s but then when you find a bike that doesn’t have to live on the high end, you fault it for not liking it ?? Why are you trying to ride around at max RPM’s anyways when you did say, you’re tired of bikes needing to be ran in its higher RPM range?

1)The CB changes over time as it goes through its break-in period.
2)The only time I hear a strain from my CB, (EXAMPLE imagine LOWER MPH) is when I think I’m in 2ND and rolling into the throttle and then realizing I’m still in 4th. Yeah, it doesn’t really like that so much, but it still does what I ask it to. My gut reaction to eliminating a strained CB motor sound, downshift, twist the throttle, and hang on.
3)Going from bike to bike, sometimes you have to change your riding style just a bit, to give the machine a chance to shine under its own parameters. If you’re not willing to do that, then you are going to have a hard time finding another bike that isn’t the first bike you ever liked and got used to.
4) The CB is not a Sport Bike and the comparisons to a Sporty or Sport bike – is always going to leave something to be desired. Just pick up any US Motorcycle magazine and you will get the same comments from them about the CB not being as sporty as (insert some other sporty bike). The CB is not a Sport Bike. The CB is not a drag bike. Why must everyone try to compare a CB1100 to a GSXR1000(insert any similar bike of your choice here), just because they are 4 cylinders and 1,000CC Bikes. The CB was never designed, or intended to be a Sport bike cruising around in its upper RPM band.

What I find really odd, is that you posted a link to Ashonbikes review of the CB. Even that review itself “Spin it into the red line above 9,000rpm and it feels flat, but that's not what the bike is about,” “This is very much a low and mid-range engine” confirming that the CB is not about high rev riding. If you look into more reviews, they all say the same thing. The CB was never designed, intended, or even seems to be happy about riding around at max RPM ranges …. So I find it odd that you would even question or look for yet even more confirmation that the CB doesn’t like every day riding at 9,000 RPM as you state “Thus i spent most of the ride at 3K RPM, out of the ~9K available on tach.” in your post.

The CB is a Retro Standard bike. You either accept it for what it is with all its unique characteristics(Not anything like a sport or sportier bike), and love it, or walk away from it. Those that have stuck with it, have found that the CB is a very capable bike, and unless your just doing drag race runs, is only limited by the riders capabilities.

I by no means am wanting any answers to these questions. Seriously. I rarely post replies, due to the fact I have a tendency to sound abrasive or even douchbaggish when I’m really not intending that. I just see you waffling on your posts about not liking high RPM bikes, yet don’t like the CB motor because its dislike of high RPM riding. I am just trying to point out what you yourself have said, in hopes that you sit and think - what do you really want from your motorcycle, and what can you live with? Ultimately it’s your money and your decision. I wish you luck.

I'm going back to my corner to be quiet

IMHO, this is why matters of taste are not science or technology and there are no clear metrics or boundaries. For me the CB1100 was a set of gives and takes that just happen to have more gives (especially the '14 Deluxe). I went around and around weighing my contradictory feelings about the bike and finally landed on 'buy'.

I general, this thread has shown wisdom of a lot of accumulated experience and I think that's great !

It's so tiring when forums get into a mode of:
1. I hate your bike
2. What do you mean, my bike is badazz
3. Well I think it's for morons
4. Your mama
5. Your daddy
6. Your sister
7.
..
9999. ...
 
Douchbaggish? Is that what dUh! Stands for? That is funny right there. Abrasive or not if you were a salesman I would end up buying the bike either out of intimidation or your honest description of a well balanced classic machine. Thumbs up :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
 
Thread starter
Can someone pls tell me point blank if the engine response and sound as shown in virtualGuth video (7:35-8:15) normal and typical of CB1100? Because this was pretty much my experience on the test ride, and I didn't like it.

Normally this might be considered splitting hairs and overly nit-picking, but we all know that Honda engineers spent an obsessive amount of effort to get it 'just right'. So I just want to know if this is the expected end result? Because if it is normal, and expected, I would like to know if a pipe or a tune can change it.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I don't know if you borrowed someone's bike or took a test ride at a dealership, but you are lucky you found out now that you two aren't a match made in heaven. I don't know if it's a regional thing or an individual thing or what, but Honda dealerships I've asked have said they do not allow test rides.
I've NEVER been turned down when requesting a test ride.Gold Wing,VALK Rune,CBR 1000 and YES CB 1100.You poor guys.
 
co6aka_imp said:
Can someone pls tell me point blank if the engine response and sound as shown in virtualGuth video (7:35-8:15) normal and typical of CB1100? Because this was pretty much my experience on the test ride, and I didn't like it.

Normally this might be considered splitting hairs and overly nit-picking, but we all know that Honda engineers spent an obsessive amount of effort to get it 'just right'. So I just want to know if this is the expected end result? Because if it is normal, and expected, I would like to know if a pipe or a tune can change it.
It sounds like a CB1100 to me:beerchug:
 
co6aka_imp said:
Can someone pls tell me point blank if the engine response and sound as shown in virtualGuth video (7:35-8:15) normal and typical of CB1100? Because this was pretty much my experience on the test ride, and I didn't like it.

Normally this might be considered splitting hairs and overly nit-picking, but we all know that Honda engineers spent an obsessive amount of effort to get it 'just right'. So I just want to know if this is the expected end result? Because if it is normal, and expected, I would like to know if a pipe or a tune can change it.
The audio in the video is plain awful and my bike sounds nothing like that. Go to 6:12 of this video to hear what it should sound like:

 
Going back to the video, and looking at the odometer, the bike is showing 500 miles. Again, the sounds of the bike change as it settles in during its break in period. I can hear more transmission gear noises in the video, more than a strained engine sound. With over 4000 miles, I no longer hear a lot of those noises anymore, but watching the video, I know at one time mine made those same sounds. So, in a way - yes; thats a normal sound you will hear from a CB until it gets broke in.

Engine response - I cant see any lurching or iratic behavior between the tach and engine sounds. That's a tough one to try an pinpoint, because we don't know what Guth is doing with the throttle. My opinion, I do see him shifting a lot more than probably necessary, but again, 500 miles on the odometer are showing - got to give everyone time to really learn their new ride.
 
AzBob_imp said:
co6aka_imp said:
Can someone pls tell me point blank if the engine response and sound as shown in virtualGuth video (7:35-8:15) normal and typical of CB1100? Because this was pretty much my experience on the test ride, and I didn't like it.

Normally this might be considered splitting hairs and overly nit-picking, but we all know that Honda engineers spent an obsessive amount of effort to get it 'just right'. So I just want to know if this is the expected end result? Because if it is normal, and expected, I would like to know if a pipe or a tune can change it.
The audio in the video is plain awful and my bike sounds nothing like that. Go to 6:12 of this video to hear what it should sound like:

:rofl: Yep, I heard that "sound" just after 6:12, especially when I first got it. Still do now and then under heavy throttle application... :clap:

This video also gives some idea of how the CB sounds: :thumbsup:

 
I don't think that sound is unusual or bad. Mine only has 1300 miles on it so it sounds similar.
Motorcycle sounds are so difficult to reproduce on a video. I hear different sounds depending where I stand in relation to the bike, different if you have a windshield, different if you are wearing a helmet and what type of helmet, so just what IS an accurate representation of the bikes sound? Hard to say, much less reproduce accurately.
 
co6aka_imp said:
Can someone pls tell me point blank if the engine response and sound as shown in virtualGuth video (7:35-8:15) normal and typical of CB1100? Because this was pretty much my experience on the test ride, and I didn't like it.

Normally this might be considered splitting hairs and overly nit-picking, but we all know that Honda engineers spent an obsessive amount of effort to get it 'just right'. So I just want to know if this is the expected end result? Because if it is normal, and expected, I would like to know if a pipe or a tune can change it.
Normal and typical of CB1100? Want to be told point blank? OK, here goes:

This bike can only be described as a complete travesty. An insult to the honourable history of motorcycle evolution. Why? Lets start with the engine, if you can reluctantly bring yourself to describe it as such - completely underpowered for the task, more suited to a CT90 frame but only with riders not in excess of the 101lbs of fun class. Styling - prehistoric, as ugly as the north end of a south bound camel. No amount of botox in the form of mail order farkling can save this wrinkled crone. Suspension - solid, mate, solid, almost brick like, virtually non-adjustable and that produces handling remarkably similar to my 1950 Rumanian built Crapislava Special (solid tyres, cast iron rims and unsprung). Colours - words like nauseating, loathsome, gross, gut-churning and emetic spring to mind. Obviously chosen by a latté sipping, pointy toed shoe wearing set designer for the Australian ballet. Dealer service and support - laughable, totally inadequate except for excellence in the black art of money gouging. Honda - The Power of Schemes seems appropriate. Ever wonder why they are reluctant to give test rides? Obvious I would have thought. Service departments (did I just say service? I must be hallucinating) populated by pimply faced, flat headed, dull eyed pseudo mechanics who wouldn't even know what grade oil to use.

There is more, much more. So why would I buy such a grotesque pile of underpowered dung? I didn't. I still curse the day it fell off the back of a truck over-loaded with unsaleable stock bound for a beach on the sub-continent where it was to be broken up, smelted down and made into low grade knife, fork and spoon sets for the knock-off market in Bangkok. Due to being in what might be called an impecunious and necessitous circumstance (temporary I can assure you so all those outstanding loans will be honoured), I have had to endure 38000 miserable kilometres on this execrable excuse for a motorcycle; when I can coax more than 5kmph from the evil apparatus I'm being exposed to the elements by that almost unendurable and certainly inescapable wind blast - no screen, not even the all conquering National Supersize Road King, can help; my hearing being inexorably destroyed by the high pitched shrieks from that straining excuse for a power (please don't laugh) plant; my haemorrhoids raw, bleeding and abraided by the seat-that-has-no-mercy. At my age only death can release me from this motorcycling hell. Mercifully, with the handling of this treacherous beast that may not be far away.

Mate, don't feel guilty about nit-picking. So my advice, mate, is to get another bike, not a CB. There it is. Point blank and with the full metal jacket.

Cheers, especially to all my brothers in CB motorcycling perdition.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
co6aka_imp said:
Can someone pls tell me point blank if the engine response and sound as shown in virtualGuth video (7:35-8:15) normal and typical of CB1100? Because this was pretty much my experience on the test ride, and I didn't like it.

Normally this might be considered splitting hairs and overly nit-picking, but we all know that Honda engineers spent an obsessive amount of effort to get it 'just right'. So I just want to know if this is the expected end result? Because if it is normal, and expected, I would like to know if a pipe or a tune can change it.
Normal and typical of CB1100? Want to be told point blank? OK, here goes:

This bike can only be described as a complete travesty. An insult to the honourable history of motorcycle evolution. Why? Lets start with the engine, if you can reluctantly bring yourself to describe it as such - completely underpowered for the task, more suited to a CT90 frame but only with riders not in excess of the 101lbs of fun class. Styling - prehistoric, as ugly as the north end of a south bound camel. No amount of botox in the form of mail order farkling can save this wrinkled crone. Suspension - solid, mate, solid, almost brick like, virtually non-adjustable and that produces handling remarkably similar to my 1950 Rumanian built Crapislava Special (solid tyres, cast iron rims and unsprung). Colours - words like nauseating, loathsome, gross, gut-churning and emetic spring to mind. Obviously chosen by a latté sipping, pointy toed shoe wearing set designer for the Australian ballet. Dealer service and support - laughable, totally inadequate except for excellence in the black art of money gouging. Honda - The Power of Schemes seems appropriate. Ever wonder why they are reluctant to give test rides? Obvious I would have thought. Service departments (did I just say service? I must be hallucinating) populated by pimply faced, flat headed, dull eyed pseudo mechanics who wouldn't even know what grade oil to use.

There is more, much more. So why would I buy such a grotesque pile of underpowered dung? I didn't. I still curse the day it fell off the back of a truck over-loaded with unsaleable stock bound for a beach on the sub-continent where it was to be broken up, smelted down and made into low grade knife, fork and spoon sets for the knock-off market in Bangkok. Due to being in what might be called an impecunious and necessitous circumstance (temporary I can assure you so all those outstanding loans will be honoured), I have had to endure 38000 miserable kilometres on this execrable excuse for a motorcycle; when I can coax more than 5kmph from the evil apparatus I'm being exposed to the elements by that almost unendurable and certainly inescapable wind blast - no screen, not even the all conquering National Supersize Road King, can help; my hearing being inexorably destroyed by the high pitched shrieks from that straining excuse for a power (please don't laugh) plant; my haemorrhoids raw, bleeding and abraided by the seat-that-has-no-mercy. At my age only death can release me from this motorcycling hell. Mercifully, with the handling of this treacherous beast that may not be far away.

Mate, don't feel guilty about nit-picking. So my advice, mate, is to get another bike, not a CB. There it is. Point blank and with the full metal jacket.

Cheers, especially to all my brothers in CB motorcycling perdition.
Normal and typical of CB1100? Want to be told point blank? OK, here goes:

This bike can only be described as a complete travesty. An insult to the honourable history of motorcycle evolution. Why? Lets start with the engine, if you can reluctantly bring yourself to describe it as such - completely underpowered for the task, more suited to a CT90 frame but only with riders not in excess of the 101lbs of fun class. Styling - prehistoric, as ugly as the north end of a south bound camel. No amount of botox in the form of mail order farkling can save this wrinkled crone. Suspension - solid, mate, solid, almost brick like, virtually non-adjustable and that produces handling remarkably similar to my 1950 Rumanian built Crapislava Special (solid tyres, cast iron rims and unsprung). Colours - words like nauseating, loathsome, gross, gut-churning and emetic spring to mind. Obviously chosen by a latté sipping, pointy toed shoe wearing set designer for the Australian ballet. Dealer service and support - laughable, totally inadequate except for excellence in the black art of money gouging. Honda - The Power of Schemes seems appropriate. Ever wonder why they are reluctant to give test rides? Obvious I would have thought. Service departments (did I just say service? I must be hallucinating) populated by pimply faced, flat headed, dull eyed pseudo mechanics who wouldn't even know what grade oil to use.

There is more, much more. So why would I buy such a grotesque pile of underpowered dung? I didn't. I still curse the day it fell off the back of a truck over-loaded with unsaleable stock bound for a beach on the sub-continent where it was to be broken up, smelted down and made into low grade knife, fork and spoon sets for the knock-off market in Bangkok. Due to being in what might be called an impecunious and necessitous circumstance (temporary I can assure you so all those outstanding loans will be honoured), I have had to endure 38000 miserable kilometres on this execrable excuse for a motorcycle; when I can coax more than 5kmph from the evil apparatus being exposed to the elements by that almost unendurable and certainly inescapable wind blast - no screen, not even the all conquering National Supersize Road King, can help; my hearing being inexorably destroyed by the high pitched shrieks from that straining excuse for a power (please don't laugh) plant; my haemorrhoids raw, bleeding and abraded by the seat-that-has-no-mercy. At my age only death can release me from this motorcycling hell. And with the handling of this treacherous beast that may not be far away.

Mate, don't feel guilty about nit-picking. So my advice, mate, is to get another bike, not a CB. There it is. Point blank and with the full metal jacket.

Cheers, especially to all my brothers in CB motorcycling perdition.
Priceless.

I hate myself for my cycle-choosing incompetence.
 
Back
Top