Bucket List ride

Ferret,
I very recently retired (June 1, 2014) and am looking forward to riding my 2009 ST1300 on my own Bucket List ride. I live in So Cal, so the PCH routes are in my back yard. I'm looking to ride across the USA west to east and visit as many of my friends as I can. Perhaps we can get together for a cup of coffee if and when I pass through Ohio.
TINK

 
Great photo, Tink. Congratulations on your retirement.
 
Thread starter
TINK_imp said:
Ferret,
I very recently retired (June 1, 2014) and am looking forward to riding my 2009 ST1300 on my own Bucket List ride. I live in So Cal, so the PCH routes are in my back yard. I'm looking to ride across the USA west to east and visit as many of my friends as I can. Perhaps we can get together for a cup of coffee if and when I pass through Ohio.
TINK
Absolutely
 
ferret great trip and pictures. I used to take long trips in my 40s and 50s and really enjoyed it. Now because of old mistakes I can only
ride about 30 or 40 miles before I have to stop and take meds to try and kill the pain. So it really is nice to see details of your trip.
 
Ferret... great report on [/u]what seems like a fabulous trip! Good shots too.
I am planning a similar trip (in my head) for when I retire in a few years. I'd like to ride totally cross country and back... trying to stay off interstates where possible. A northern route out and a southern route back. But as I said...retirement is still a few years away, so the route, timing, and even the bike I'll ride are still inside my head. How do you guys like riding long distances in the ST? It seems like you've got no way to stretch out your legs...
 
Thread starter
LOL I have short legs, and generally sit in one position. Some guys install these wings that mount on the tip over bars to offer an alternate leg position.

The ST is made for trips like this. Liquid cooled V4 Shaftie just goes about the business of travelling great distances with ease and the electrically adjustable windshield is the cats meow. 7.7 gallon fuel tank. Love my ST for travelling.
 

That's a great picture, a great bike, a great riding suit. Aerostich, right? It looks like you're in the hills, maybe Running Springs, or up towards Idylwild?

Anyway, I'm curious how that picture was taken.
 
Awesome stuff Ferret. You truly are a motorcycle nut.

By the way, I was able to swing a leg over a st1300 a while back and I am a sawed off runt and that sucker is heavy or at least it felt that way to me. Once you get rolling does that just kinda go away?
 
Thread starter
The ST is a handful at walking speed, or pushing it around in the garage, due to weighing 717 pounds gassed up, but once you are past walking speed there is no issue, the weight seems to disappear and the weight actually makes the bike feel very planted on the highway. Handles well for such a large motorcycle. I had my seat shaved down an inch because I have stubby legs as well.

Great motorcycle.
 
TINK_imp said:
Ferret,
I very recently retired (June 1, 2014) and am looking forward to riding my 2009 ST1300 on my own Bucket List ride. I live in So Cal, so the PCH routes are in my back yard. I'm looking to ride across the USA west to east and visit as many of my friends as I can. Perhaps we can get together for a cup of coffee if and when I pass through Ohio.
TINK

Nifty outfit! And great action shot, how was that taken? Did you pass a pal in a car leaning out the window?

Nifty outfit! And great action shot, how was that taken? Did you pass a pal in a car leaning out the window?

Edited to add, are those rubber gloves? :dodgy: you kinky tinky!
 
Thread starter
Probably deer skin gloves. I wear deerskin gloves a lot, they are awesome. Soft, supple, great feeling with them, and they are both cool and warm at the same time. Mine are black though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Probably deer skin gloves. I wear deerskin gloves a lot, they are awesome. Soft, supple, great feeling with them, and they are both cool and warm at the same time. Mine are black though.
No Kevlar? no double leather patches? No armour? I wouldn't mind wearing them for a push bike ride, wouldn't want to crash a 250kg bike wearing them at 80 mph...

..just saying, like.
 
My deerskin gloves are double-patched on the knuckles and palms. Some armour can too easily shatter into the skin on impact which could be worse than a fracture. I do give up some bone protection without the armour, but I feel protected regardless. (heh...I said "bone protection"). Oh and my bike doesn't weigh 250kg...it weighs 551lbs...I think the difference could be important in a fall. ;)
 
Thread starter
Tortuga_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Probably deer skin gloves. I wear deerskin gloves a lot, they are awesome. Soft, supple, great feeling with them, and they are both cool and warm at the same time. Mine are black though.
No Kevlar? no double leather patches? No armour? I wouldn't mind wearing them for a push bike ride, wouldn't want to crash a 250kg bike wearing them at 80 mph...

..just saying, like.
No Kevlar? no double leather patches? No armour? I wouldn't mind wearing them for a push bike ride, wouldn't want to crash a 250kg bike wearing them at 80 mph...

..just saying, like.
Yes, sometimes I live life on the edge. The other day I rode in blue jeans too
 
EmptySea_imp said:
My deerskin gloves are double-patched on the knuckles and palms. Some armour can too easily shatter into the skin on impact which could be worse than a fracture. I do give up some bone protection without the armour, but I feel protected regardless. (heh...I said "bone protection"). Oh and my bike doesn't weigh 250kg...it weighs 551lbs...I think the difference could be important in a fall. ;)

Well you've convinced me to stop worrying about gloves.

To be honest I always use the Moët comfortable and thinnest I can find.

I went a few winters wearing some glorious Kangaroo skin Weise gloves which were like Michael Jacksons wanking glove after softening up in a few rain storms.

When people challenged me as to why I refused to wear winter Gore Tex items I would explain that I preferred feel at the levers to warmth. Then when they were out of site, I'd pull over and fondle the exhaust pipe for a few minutes to thaw out! :D

Good to see my bike is heavier than yours, albeit by 0.155 lb.
 
"Waypoints for those that like to follow along on google,
starting in Cincinnati Ohio
Indianapolis Indiana
St Louis Missouri
Oklahoma City Oklahoma
Amarillo Texas
Albuquerque New Mexico
Kingman Arizona
Barstow California
Bakersfield California
St Luis Obispo California
Santa Cruz California
Sacramento California
Reno Nevada
Salt Lake City Utah
Laramie Wyoming
Colorado Springs Colorado
Kansas City Kansas
St Louis Missouri
Indianapolis Indiana
Cincinnati Ohio"

Don't forget Winona, LOL.
 
Thread starter
Sue where was Winona..I must have missed it lol
 
Back
Top