Break-in guide??

Kawiboy_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I just read the owners manual and did not see much regarding proper break in . I saw a mention to take it easy for the first 300 miles, and I know that there is a break in service at 600 miles, but is there an RPM limit related to mileage??.
 
Kawiboy_imp said:
I just read the owners manual and did not see much regarding proper break in . I saw a mention to take it easy for the first 300 miles, and I know that there is a break in service at 600 miles, but is there an RPM limit related to mileage??.
I don't see one in my manual, so nope.
 
Kawiboy_imp said:
I just read the owners manual and did not see much regarding proper break in . I saw a mention to take it easy for the first 300 miles, and I know that there is a break in service at 600 miles, but is there an RPM limit related to mileage??.
Just vary your rpms on occasion and stay away from long extended trips on the freeway for 300 miles
 
I didn't see an official break-in recommendation either but kept my rpm's below 4K, shifted through the gears a lot and varied engine speed until the 600-mile service. I guess we'll see in about 20 years if that was an appropriate break- in.
 
Thread starter
Very odd for Honda to not state everything in great detail. My 2011 Ninja 1000 manual was uber specific on RPM vs miles....as a mechanic , a lack of info makes me nuts!
 
It's the 21st Century ;) when I picked Erics CB up in Ohio, I drove it 100 miles at 65 and upped cruising speed by 5 mph every additional 100 miles til I was cruising with traffic at 80. I varied speed ocassionally, let off the throttle to wash the cylinder walls with oil, all the old school stuff. But, just like cars, i don't think there is such a thing as "break in" any more. Old habits are hard to break, and most of us here are old!
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
It's the 21st Century ;) when I picked Erics CB up in Ohio, I drove it 100 miles at 65 and upped cruising speed by 5 mph every additional 100 miles til I was cruising with traffic at 80. I varied speed ocassionally, let off the throttle to wash the cylinder walls with oil, all the old school stuff. But, just like cars, i don't think there is such a thing as "break in" any more. Old habits are hard to break, and most of us here are old!
Sh*t!?! When did that happen?
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
It's the 21st Century ;) when I picked Erics CB up in Ohio, I drove it 100 miles at 65 and upped cruising speed by 5 mph every additional 100 miles til I was cruising with traffic at 80. I varied speed ocassionally, let off the throttle to wash the cylinder walls with oil, all the old school stuff. But, just like cars, i don't think there is such a thing as "break in" any more. Old habits are hard to break, and most of us here are old!
Uh..typo? did you possibly mean to say 5 mph? lol
 
I suspect, my opinion, that Honda is less concerned about their uber tight tolerances on their engine and more concerned with transmission break-in, thus for the first 300 miles they focus on those crazy Americans not trying to do jackrabbit starts out of the dealership.

Maybe the traditional break-in warnings don't apply here because the engine is not expected to wear-in like older designs and are already perfectly mated off the line? That is the only thing that makes sense to me.

To add, perhaps unnecessarily so, back in the day we called such engines "detailed" engines where the parts are perfectly measured and mated, resulting in no wear on break-in and more durability in racing applications, for which most of this expensive process was dedicated. I suspect we all have 'detailed' engines.
 
Well, even with the new technology, there is still some break in. Im a firm believer in break in, and once break in hits (after 500 miles, normally) run the dog snot out of it. Thats what these are built for. Perfect example, my Vw Rabbit, 2008, bought it with 12k miles in 2008. Currently at almost 200k miles with 190psi of compression in all cylinders. Regular maint. and just run it to the max. Still runs like a top, and just had its first oil leak.lol
 
True story. I bought a new truck and knowing I was to pull a horse laden tailer with her the next day I put 450 gentle miles on her that night before, running up and down I-24 to Nashville, around the loop and back down and again. Not a bad way to spend an evening with a new truck. I still have the truck with 279,000 plus miles on her. I also put Mobile One in her every 6-7 thousand miles. Yes, I have now changed this into an oil thread.
 
Oh boy! Oil thread! We still need a popcorn eating smiley :)
 
NightRider_imp said:
True story. I bought a new truck and knowing I was to pull a horse laden tailer with her the next day I put 450 gentle miles on her that night before, running up and down I-24 to Nashville, around the loop and back down and again. Not a bad way to spend an evening with a new truck. I still have the truck with 279,000 plus miles on her. I also put Mobile One in her every 6-7 thousand miles. Yes, I have now changed this into an oil thread.
Yes, but what tires were you running, and did you wax it with Pledge, or clean the exhaust with Optiganz?
 
What octane gas did you run in it?
 
DGShannon_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
True story. I bought a new truck and knowing I was to pull a horse laden tailer with her the next day I put 450 gentle miles on her that night before, running up and down I-24 to Nashville, around the loop and back down and again. Not a bad way to spend an evening with a new truck. I still have the truck with 279,000 plus miles on her. I also put Mobile One in her every 6-7 thousand miles. Yes, I have now changed this into an oil thread.
Yes, but what tires were you running, and did you wax it with Pledge, or clean the exhaust with Optiganz?
Yes, but what tires were you running, and did you wax it with Pledge, or clean the exhaust with Optiganz?
Me ? STP.
 
NightRider_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:
NightRider_imp said:
True story. I bought a new truck and knowing I was to pull a horse laden tailer with her the next day I put 450 gentle miles on her that night before, running up and down I-24 to Nashville, around the loop and back down and again. Not a bad way to spend an evening with a new truck. I still have the truck with 279,000 plus miles on her. I also put Mobile One in her every 6-7 thousand miles. Yes, I have now changed this into an oil thread.
Yes, but what tires were you running, and did you wax it with Pledge, or clean the exhaust with Optiganz?
Yes, but what tires were you running, and did you wax it with Pledge, or clean the exhaust with Optiganz?
Me ? STP.
Yes, but what tires were you running, and did you wax it with Pledge, or clean the exhaust with Optiganz?
Me ? STP.
STP? Haven't you heard Marvels Mystery Oil is superior?
 
Back
Top