BMW R18

From the rear it reminds me of my Triumph Thunderbird 1600, tommymck. From the front it looks like a capable battering ram!

Comment on finance: if interest rates are artificially low (they are) and inflation is higher than our governments admit (it is), then it's not that bad to be a debtor (like our governments). You pay back with currency that has lower value than when you borrowed it. As long as the inflation rate is greater than the interest rate, you win.
 
Teacher, I think I need a case study to understand your argument, please.
 
The R18 is interesting to say the least. I think it was smart for BMW to offer the "classic" version without the fishtail pipes as I can see why some (including myself) would find them unappealling. They are certainly getting a lot of attention in the press and people are sure talking about them.

On the other hand, for half the price you could pick up a leftover Moto Guzzi Eldorado 1400; at least right now as Guzzi has discontinued the big block 1400s for 2021. Yes, it's 400 CCs less and lacks the BMW prestige and overall better dealer network that BMW offers, but for half the price!!......a no brainer to me. The Guzzi is over 50 lbs. lighter, will out handle the R18, and looks far better IMO. But to each his own. Guzzi couldn't give away thye 1400 Californias in the US but that's a completely different story.

4617c5ab29b64f670a357080ce755f31.jpg
 
In 2019 the local Triumph dealer salesman left and went to work for the local BMW dealer. It was only a matter of months when he came off his GS, pulling the cylinder the head clean off and spilling the oil all over the roundabout. It was a low speed accident but the bike was written off. Two Lessons from this episode 1) flat twins need engine bars and 2) once a Triumph salesman....:@

Imagine how wide this bike is going to be with engine bars, do they do them as an accessory? Oh, the salesman is now back working for Triumph, I wonder why? :s
 
RE Beemer going down: I reckon the plan is to not go down and spill precious [BMW] oil on the road.

RE Eldorado: Yeah, no BMW prestige, ... but it has Moto Guzzi legacy and soul.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Teacher, I think I need a case study to understand your argument, please.
I'm not a finance guy, but I'll give it a try. Let's say you borrow $10k at 3% for 5 years with monthly payments:
fb9dd3b658377b8d1178ce18ff7b2789.png


If the real rate of inflation is 0%, then the lender makes a gross profit of $781.21 on the transaction. If the real rate of inflation is 3%, the lender breaks even, because the value of the $781.21 in interest evaporates at the end of the 5-year period because the currency has been losing value at the rate of 3% per year.

Now, if the real rate of inflation is 6%, the break-even payment plan for the lender would look like this:
6c679fc5b99163aabafd1b48d028c3cf.png


But, if the lender was unwise enough (or artificially propped up enough with fiat currency) to lend you the money at 3% while inflation moves ahead at 6%, the lender actually loses roughly the difference: $1599.68 - $781.21 = $818.47. To get precise figures, you'd need to do a net present value calculation on the 60 payments for the future cash flows. If you run the 3% cash flow with a 6% discount rate, you see the negative impact on net present value.
 
Or you could get the lighter, faster, better handling and far less expensive Honda Rebel 1100 for around 8-9K less dollars, enough to buy a NC750X too.
Beemer is prettier though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cool. Is it a beast torque wise?
I've never been really adept at "feeling" torque directly. From the standpoint of anywhere between 2K and 4K in any gear, if you twist the throttle, the thing gets up and goes no questions asked, and you always seem to be naturally in the right gear.... Yes, it seems to have plenty on tap. And I have the sense that I could pull a tree stump out with the thing. But it's no acceleration demon, which is more the sort of thing that you "feel" directly. It's plenty for me in any case.
Roper_imp said:
Hey, Tommy, was there a lot of heat on your shins? Or was it manageable?
The heads are cool enough that you can lay your bare hands on them without any discomfort at all. They are warmer than the ambient air, but not by all that much. Temperature isn't a problem in the slightest.
Indypikes_imp said:
The R18 is interesting to say the least. I think it was smart for BMW to offer the "classic" version without the fishtail pipes as I can see why some (including myself) would find them unappealling. They are certainly getting a lot of attention in the press and people are sure talking about them.

On the other hand, for half the price you could pick up a leftover Moto Guzzi Eldorado 1400; at least right now as Guzzi has discontinued the big block 1400s for 2021. Yes, it's 400 CCs less and lacks the BMW prestige and overall better dealer network that BMW offers, but for half the price!!......a no brainer to me. The Guzzi is over 50 lbs. lighter, will out handle the R18, and looks far better IMO. But to each his own. Guzzi couldn't give away thye 1400 Californias in the US but that's a completely different story.

4617c5ab29b64f670a357080ce755f31.jpg
No question that the R18 isn't as cost effective as lots of other options. There's no question that if you like the looks / vibe of the Guzzi, it's a way better deal. I play guitar, and have always liked Les Pauls. They definitely aren't best from a bang for the buck perspective, and a PRS SE single cut will arguably sound as good, be set up as good or better, and some like the looks better....for less than half of the price. Still and all though, the Les Paul is just more fun for me to play, and I play it better just because I like it better. The R18 is the same sort of thing for me.
Tev62_imp said:
In 2019 the local Triumph dealer salesman left and went to work for the local BMW dealer. It was only a matter of months when he came off his GS, pulling the cylinder the head clean off and spilling the oil all over the roundabout. It was a low speed accident but the bike was written off. Two Lessons from this episode 1) flat twins need engine bars and 2) once a Triumph salesman....:@

Imagine how wide this bike is going to be with engine bars, do they do them as an accessory? Oh, the salesman is now back working for Triumph, I wonder why? :s
I've had three other BMW boxers, and to date I haven't dropped a single one, or had any damage to the heads or anything else on the bikes. Engine guards are available, but ruin the looks to me. I know it's like the saying for pilots who fly single engine retractables. There are those who have landed gear up, and those who will. As GO says, the plan isn't to drop the thing though, and in any case, I'm not sure that the odds of mechanical damage (as opposed to cosmetic damage) is any greater with a boxer than with any other bike.

And as to the financing stuff, you guys are definitely correct that it's a better deal to take the loan, but the amount over...say...a 5 year period doesn't justify the hassle of having an outstanding loan for that period for me....but again that's more my weirdness about not liking loans unless they are really necessary. Definitely not a sound financial strategy, but the numbers are small enough that I can justify it...
 
Thank you, teacher. That is clear and helpful. Paul Simon's observation, "When numbers get serious, they leave a mark on the door" has always resonated with me.

So here's the plan: I'm going to lay out $21,476 to import a CB1100 RS from Japan. I could pay cash but the dealer will take $20,000 if I finance it through their usurer at an outrageous 3%. As the Bank of Stichill is offering me 5.98% on my meagre savings, I'm going to take the finance. As one balance goes down, the other goes up and I should actually be a tad shy of $1,900 cash in front at the end of it all.

Except, I woke up and I'd been dreaming.

Apropos of nothing at all, my monthly credit card statement once told me that if I incurred no further charges on the card and paid only the minimum monthly payment, it would take me 'more than 83 years 3 months' to pay it off and total interest would be 'more than $106,197,608.00'.
 
:rofl:

It's always about six of one, half dozen of the other when it comes to a 0% interest rate vs. a lower price for cash.

Oh yes, the credit card companies are more than happy to let you maintain your principal balance and pay usurious interest in perpetuity. My approach is to get a no-fee cash rewards credit card and pay the balance in full each month. The nice thing about credit cards: if there's fraud, it's their dime that was stolen, not yours. Whereas fraud on your debit card could drain your entire bank account, leaving you standing out in the cold.
 
Yes, that's my strategy too, Stichill. I think the notice was a terrible mistake in their system. They've never acknowledged it. When I worked it out on their numbers, I don't think I'd ever have paid it off.
 
I’d jump on that Bank of Stichill 5.98% offer, but deposits at his institution aren’t covered by the FDIC. Instead, I think my cash would be siphoned off to the Stichill Charitable Foundation (aka the Stichill Motorcycle Fund), never to be seen again. Cormanus, FDIC is similar to the FCS in your fair country.
 
When I looked up FCS Google said it was a Fin Control System for surfboards. I looked further. In light of your advice, I might have to resort to the original plan and pay cash. It's a pity after the headache I gave myself working it all out. :D
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I’d jump on that Bank of Stichill 5.98% offer, but deposits at his institution aren’t covered by the FDIC. Instead, I think my cash would be siphoned off to the Stichill Charitable Foundation (aka the Stichill Motorcycle Fund), never to be seen again. Cormanus, FDIC is similar to the FCS in your fair country.
Shhh! :)
 
Back
Top