BMW R18

I like it. I am not a "cruiser" rider and have no desire to own one, but I do think it is my favorite cruiser.

I have been repulsed by Harley pipes since I turned 25 years of age, and I am almost perfectly 180 degrees from what their marketing department has defined as their demographic so it isn't a stretch for me to look at a Harley competitor with a more positive disposition.

I doubt I will see R18 riders cosplaying a pirate at my local pub, so that's a plus. And pickups festooned with R18 stickers seems unlikely. I don't expect to see trucker wallets hanging from thick chains with a BMW roundel either.

So all that appeals to me.

But right now I am looking at electric bicycles so this doesn't really get much of a rise out of me either way.

Can't decide between a Specialized Turbo Vado limited, or a 2021 Giant Explore E+.
 
Olyrider_imp said:
I like it. I am not a "cruiser" rider and have no desire to own one, but I do think it is my favorite cruiser.

I have been repulsed by Harley pipes since I turned 25 years of age, and I am almost perfectly 180 degrees from what their marketing department has defined as their demographic so it isn't a stretch for me to look at a Harley competitor with a more positive disposition.

I doubt I will see R18 riders cosplaying a pirate at my local pub, so that's a plus. And pickups festooned with R18 stickers seems unlikely. I don't expect to see trucker wallets hanging from thick chains with a BMW roundel either.

So all that appeals to me.

But right now I am looking at electric bicycles so this doesn't really get much of a rise out of me either way.

Can't decide between a Specialized Turbo Vado limited, or a 2021 Giant Explore E+.
Me too. Mainly because I can ride one on lots of trails which are closed to dirt bikes. I might have to sell the DRZ...
 
Hill start it's like a parking brake that releases on take off.

When sitting still, depress the front brake hard sets it. You can release it the same way or with a little extra rpm and throttle it releases automatically when taking off on a hill.

I use it as a parking brake more often when I want to free my front brake hand without sitting on the rear brake with my foot.
 
I have never been a huge BMW fan, always thought they were too big and bulky looking, but my BIL is a huge Bmr fan. When I was looking for a bike with a windshield and hard bags, the one I have came up on craigslist pretty near me, at a great price, so I went to look at it. It is big and heavy, but it rode great, I liked the seat, and it was just what I wanted for a bike to tour on. I bought it, and now I like it a lot. It's my tour ride, and the Honda is my city bike. Only problem, I'm not touring much at all now. People move away, interests change, etc. I'm planning on moving to TX, and was going to sell the Bmr, but it doesn't look like the move is going to happen any time soon. I may change my mind and take it to TX, if we ever get there.
About the R18, i generally like it, except for those upside down slash cut pipes, but I would probably get a Bonneville Bobber at $12k instead of the BMW R18 at $17k.
 
I just put the thing through a test ride today. I have to say, there's something bada$$ about it. I personally love the looks, with the exception of the pipes. No accounting for taste though. I still have and love the looks and feel of my R1200C. There's a complaint on the interweb that the R18 drags pegs too soon. Maybe I'm not that much of a he-man, but I tried hard to drag and notta. I really dig the overall vibe.

My only holdback is the exhaust. If I get this, I'll be getting rid of my '18 Triumph Speedmaster. I have never really bonded with the ride of that, but the sound is to die for.... In comparison with the sewing machine sound of the R18. And then there's the looks. Vance and Hines purportedly makes a BMW branded straight pipe, but dealers won't be getting that for quite some time.

I'm more into naked bikes, so imagine this without the touring bags and screen. I'm considering getting the bike and replacing the pipes when available....

613a150e2f939f3f51703ba05e475e08.JPG
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Das Auto hat etwas an sich.
Something indeed. To calibrate my (poor) taste, I still ride this thing around 22 years on....

950380cf317ccbdbe5999cfd73ee873d.jpg


Nothing beats my CB, but I do like BMWs for a change of pace.....
 
Last week I got to see the R18 in real life, better looking then the pictures! The size of cylinder heads and exhaust look out of proportion, with the rest of the bike, even more than the 2d views. Loved all my Bmrs ,but this is not my style bike .
My faithful GS share space with the CB , they complement each other and equally share my affection.

[attachment=12636]
 
Picking mine up today. I know that they're not everybody's cup of tea, but I can't help but like them (and the way they ride.) As Oly says, I don't do pirate, stickers or wallet chains, so what's a guy who likes cruisers to do?
 
Cool, man! I haven't seen an R18 on the road yet, but the local BMW dealer puts a few out on the sidewalk on the weekends, and I tend to cruise by on my local errands to look at them. It's an imposing bike, but for style, it hits the high notes for me in the cruiser department. I'm looking forward to seeing them out there.
 
tommymck_imp said:
Picking mine up today. I know that they're not everybody's cup of tea, but I can't help but like them (and the way they ride.) As Oly says, I don't do pirate, stickers or wallet chains, so what's a guy who likes cruisers to do?
be sure and post up some pics for us sir
 
Hopefully you noticed this BMWNA promotion before you signed on the dotted line:

Until April 30th get 0% APR financing plus a $2,000 trade-in credit on the R 18 and R 18 Classic.
 
The ferret_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
Picking mine up today. I know that they're not everybody's cup of tea, but I can't help but like them (and the way they ride.) As Oly says, I don't do pirate, stickers or wallet chains, so what's a guy who likes cruisers to do?
be sure and post up some pics for us sir
be sure and post up some pics for us sir
Here 'ya go. I picked it up and put 75 miles on it this afternoon. It's a real pleasure to ride on both twisty country roads and the highway. Cosmetically I happen to like the straight pipes way more than the fish tail ones.

4d24f5dad321c0e72e82b355eadc0a94.jpg


56a42d8396aa4e14177901e738fe3728.jpg


f237c9c735d233f6cb09d9efe68b0ae4.jpg


89fc565d4ea18e64602d78b03a126f97.jpg

LongRanger_imp said:
Hopefully you noticed this BMWNA promotion before you signed on the dotted line:

Until April 30th get 0% APR financing plus a $2,000 trade-in credit on the R 18 and R 18 Classic.
Yeah...good deals to be had. I got the trade credit (plus a real decent deal on the trade) but I hate financing...even at 0%. I know it's stupid, but I just don't like financing toys.
 
tommymck_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
Picking mine up today. I know that they're not everybody's cup of tea, but I can't help but like them (and the way they ride.) As Oly says, I don't do pirate, stickers or wallet chains, so what's a guy who likes cruisers to do?
be sure and post up some pics for us sir
be sure and post up some pics for us sir
Here 'ya go. I picked it up and put 75 miles on it this afternoon. It's a real pleasure to ride on both twisty country roads and the highway. Cosmetically I happen to like the straight pipes way more than the fish tail ones.

09fe2f137766541cc486157bf81c4f1b.jpg


b6e970f40f0d9da3e7ccb2ecd08de726.jpg


9a676f9b3ce6c7bb0b901913e9a17c94.jpg


894cee9e98563831a6df730643596103.jpg

LongRanger_imp said:
Hopefully you noticed this BMWNA promotion before you signed on the dotted line:

Until April 30th get 0% APR financing plus a $2,000 trade-in credit on the R 18 and R 18 Classic.
Yeah...good deals to be had. I got the trade credit (plus a real decent deal on the trade) but I hate financing...even at 0%. I know it's stupid, but I just don't like financing toys.
It's not stupid, I don't think so. I never buy something I have to finance, though our social systems are build on this financial mechanism. Always spending money you don't have yet.

I only buy cash or don't buy. Wether I can afford it or can't. Hate to have obligations I can choose over a long period of time for 'toys', if motorbikes are toys and not necessities. Normal monthly obligations while living in whatever society are more than enough for me like renting a flat, paying insurances etc. .
 
Cool. Is it a beast torque wise?
 
I agree 100 % with you not financing TOYS ! You do not NEED toys but you want them. Wants gets you in more financial problems than needs do.
 
Financing at 0 % in a normal market means you can let your money earn you more money.

At today's rates and in these political climes if you can afford to pay for anything cash, that's probably a good idea.
 
Those exhaust pipes are magnificent. Nice buy, Tommymck. I hope you enjoy it.
 
Back
Top