Bike down, now what!

Depends on two things as I see it.
1. Your pocketbook.
2. If you clean it up and it doesn't "blend into the woodwork" in a week or so, I'd look into a new one. I note the cap that fits into the side of it (item #2 on the Bike Bandit link) is more than $40.
 
Active, if you go the at home repair as per the thread you PMd me about, and Guth graciously restored, I have a further suggestion. Since that thread I have painted the side covers twice due to stone damage from gravel roads. If you want to make a really good job remove the side covers, file and polish out the damage, filling if required, etch prime, then apply (rattle can) high heat ceramic paint. This then requires curing in an oven. A household oven is suitable. The result is a really hard finish that resists stone damage. The photos below were from a job I did "in situ". Perfect? Maybe not but certainly good enough for a bush mechanic.

Primed
59313fbe2bc1d830184f0c626136ad21.jpeg


Before final polish
3b596bb4f942f2993b65d6a67d6e7ec8.jpeg


Done
71a3cdad0ce5f17b3a02e88dc054a4b1.jpeg


0db53496b42b12338db43723e22107df.jpeg


My thread was posted after I low sided on a dirt/gravel road. I haven't managed to repeat that tricky manoeuvre since then, or even dropped the bike, but if I had to replace side covers every time they were stone damaged then I would be somewhat out of pocket. Even at the "cheap as" prices quoted above.

Small stone chips on the tank (Candy Glory) can be disguised well with enamel nail polish. The best part about this is camping it up with the girls at the cosmetics counter :D.

c2645f8972ad9ba9cfd9318e3e0d4441.jpeg


Cheers boys from the bush mechanic.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Very nice job. In situ? How'd you fit the bike in the oven?
It's a shrinky-dink.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Very nice job. In situ? How'd you fit the bike in the oven?
Didn't fit. I used heat lamps and didn't ride it for a week. Next time it's the covers in with the pizza. Just have to distract Darling for a moment or two.

c59c26339abade02d0a28b0a16a973af.jpg


Cheers
 
so what color nail polish matches the tank?
 
Those are nice looking hands for a bush mechanic :angel:
 
hey I was serious. I have plenty of little rock chips that need to be touched up
 
I was stop at a light when I first got my cb1100 and wasn't used to the weight / high CG. The front wheel was turned and the bike started to move/lean, needless to say once the weight gets over the CG, it is a slow lean to the ground. Bent right brake lever (replaced) and some relatively deep scratches on the engine cover. Because the covers are so thick, I was able to buff all of them out with a drill and the red buffing/grinding compound - not wax compound. Likewise on minor scratches to muffler. I would try that first before you purchase a new replacement part.
 
The ferret_imp said:
hey I was serious. I have plenty of little rock chips that need to be touched up
Yeah, sure...:D

You can get touch up paint at the dealer ya know :cool:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
hey I was serious. I have plenty of little rock chips that need to be touched up
Yeah, sure...:D

You can get touch up paint at the dealer ya know :cool:
Yeah, sure...:D

You can get touch up paint at the dealer ya know :cool:
He just wants his toenails to match. :P
 
Now US members of the forum know why Pterodactyl didn't take off his gloves in the US last year.
 
Back
Top