Bike down, now what!

activedirt_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I attempted a very slow but sharp U-turn on the Blue Ridge Parkway without informing my passenger of what I was about to do. No good thing was about to happen. I got the bike stopped but it still hit the ground on the left side. No one was hurt. I have now come to this forum looking for advise on what I should do if anything. My biggest questions are (1) can I replace this cover myself and is that advisable? (2) Can this affect my warranty and/or my extended warranty? (3) When that cover is removed does such a removal allow engine oil to drain out? (4) Are there any other reasons to have this replaced or just leave it as is.

Ok and yes I now know why so many forum members purchase engine guards.

 
What a bugger! I've done a similar thing. My cover is silver so I've just left it.

Somewhere else on the forum there's a discussion about taking this off. Can't remember where though.
 
From what I can see, it is repairable. Sand the scratches out, mask it off, get a can of rattle paint that matches and give it a few thin coats. The main thing no was hurt.
 
capttwb136_imp said:
From what I can see, it is repairable. Sand the scratches out, mask it off, get a can of rattle paint that matches and give it a few thin coats. The main thing no was hurt.
There's a post from Pterodactyl (maybe in the how to section) about doing just that.
 
I would replace that and get some crash bars if I were you. It would drive me crazy with those scratches on that cover if it were my bike. You are lucky that was all the damage you did.

The cover will cost you around $90 + shipping and you will need to seal it. They don't tend to use gaskets any more and there are none listed in the parts list. I checked both the list for the cover and for the crankcase.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bd6f870021404ec5a28/left-crankcase-cover

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28bdef870021404ec5a2d/crankcase
 
Replace and install case savers. Don't look back, but remember the lesson. It will be cheap enough! :D
 
That cover is pretty easy to replace. It's the stator cover and it's sealed behind there, so no oil will come out when removed.
 
Retsel_imp said:
Bondo, sand, paint, done! The beauty of a painted surface!
Why go cheap when it's only about $100 to do it correctly? On top of that trying to bondo that with HONDA cast into the cover, he'll never get it right. Even a professional would take a TON of hours of prep to make it look right trying to bondo that and make it look good. It's easier and cheaper just to replace it and be done with it.
 
Actually, that's the great thing about these bikes. Replacement parts aren't terribly expensive compared to other brands. Drop a BMW and see how much those parts cost! A fairing panel for my K1200RS is $1800. An exhaust header for my F800GT is $1200. A stator is over $500. Heck, even an oil filter is almost $20. BMW = "Bite My Wallet"

My friend dropped my CBR250R and scratched the exhaust. The replacement cover wasn't even $30.
 
I agree with Retsel. Replace the cover. I've done it a couple of times on other Honda bikes.
The part isn't all that expensive and the bike will look like new again.
Nobody but you will know the cover was replaced.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, get some engine guards too.
 
Rocky_imp said:
I agree with Retsel. Replace the cover. I've done it a couple of times on other Honda bikes.
The part isn't all that expensive and the bike will look like new again.
Nobody but you will know the cover was replaced.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, get some engine guards too.
There...FTFY. :D
 
Randy B_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
I agree with Retsel. Replace the cover. I've done it a couple of times on other Honda bikes.
The part isn't all that expensive and the bike will look like new again.
Nobody but you will know the cover was replaced.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, get some engine guards too.
There...FTFY. :D
There...FTFY. :D
Thanks Randy.
Sorry about that :D
 
Back
Top