Bike damage list

PowerDubs_imp said:
My muffler is on the right side, all my damage is on the left.

Hard to say if an air vest would have made any difference. I think my whole body and insides got twisted and shook up pretty good.

I’m pretty sad- I still love riding, but never want to go through this pain again, or worse.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You were in the Army for awhile, correct?

The you must have heard the following phrase at some point:

"Pain is only weakness leaving the body!"

Some days I have a lot more weakness to get out me than others.
 
Thread starter
Kiowa, if you are interested- maybe you can come up for the final dyno day.

Would be neat to have same day bone stock vs modified comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PwerDubs
I was distracted for about 3 weeks.
Which bike did you crash, the one with the new cams?
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Kiowa, if you are interested- maybe you can come up for the final dyno day.

Would be neat to have same day bone stock vs modified comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, I could do that. Let me know when.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
PwerDubs
I was distracted for about 3 weeks.
Which bike did you crash, the one with the new cams?
Yup
Yup
But still able to dyno, it appears.
Sorry for damage to you and to the bike.

Got to find the post about Ferret's mishap to also offer condolences.
Think I saw a thread about a third rider also going down.
Lots of catching up to do.

Let's hope the saying of things happening in threes holds for this and everyone else stays upright for many years to come.

Last Friday, I had an apprehensive moment at a rest area along Nevada highway 6 from the ghost town of Warm Springs to Tonopah. Deep pea gravel in the entire area. Had a little side slip, even with the scrambler tires. Good reminder for caution!
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Yea. I am still in great pain in many places, and tonight is a week.

Right now last week I was in the trauma unit, so I keep telling myself I am slowly getting better.

I am out of work for many weeks, and no work = no pay.

I never want to be in this pain again or worse.

I am going to trailer the bike back to the local dyno shop once I am able to do so and will perform some final runs to see what Guhl’s ecu tuning did.

Somebody is going to get a very cool, comfortable, well sorted bike.

e1290ab09a011c1380ae5c4de519e336.png
Sad to hear that Josh, but your call mate. I would say that I've been injured before and it takes it's toll mentally as much as physically.
I'm one of those people that expects to be bouncing around again in a few days and when I'm not I get depressed about it. Also, if they've been giving you strong pain killers the comedown off them can take the shine off you.

Give it a while, you might bounce back sooner than you think.
 
Thread starter
I've taken no pain killer other than a few tylenol. I've heard too many horror stories.

I have 5 spots on my torso that are knives when I move, cough, sneeze, laugh, breath the wrong way. Just left of sternum, pretty much same just left of spine on my back, lower back, and side ribs under left armpit and then again above belt line on my abs.

My left leg has a sharp pain with pressure mid tibula. My leg is yellow and purple like a calico cat. They claim it isn't broken, but I think they may have missed a few spots. ;)
 
Josh, I think you should look after yourself, do not neglect injuries...uncured become problem later on..even worse..
Good luck, wish you well and hope next health report will be better
:thumbsup:
 
I understand. At 68 I'm not bouncing back from my little off, as easy as it was, like I expected to. It is a bit depressing. I quit taking any pain meds, and the dull ache in my left arm (the broken one) kept me awake until 6 am. Tonight I'm taking a pill lol. Weird laying there in the dark not being able to sleep, just staring at the darkness feeling the ache of something not quite right. My right knee is still giving me fits as well. I go to ortho doc for arm exam Friday. May request an MRI on the knee.

If you have pains, it's best to get them checked out and KNOW it's normal trauma, and not something bad trauma.

Men's Fall Trip coming up Oct 8. Not sure I will be ready.
 
Sorry to hear you are giving it up but I can completely understand. I have the same thought quite often. Just haven’t taken to step to pull the trigger. I wrecked a Yamaha 750 Special in 1980. Too fast around a sharp curve and hadn’t ridden for several years. As if wrecking a fairly new bike wasn’t bad enough, it was compounded by a visit from my parents the following day who were unaware I had purchased another bike. The scratches, scrapes and bruises on my face told them the story. It now keeps me “honest” when I start to get a little brazen when riding. For that reason, I long ago adopted “Arrive Alive” to my riding philosophy.

And, to what the ferret and KiowaEagle stated, I once read that more home accidents involve a ladder than any other tool or device.

Stay safe and try to find a hobby that you enjoy. I’ll miss your posts on the unique things you were doing to your Cb.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I understand. At 68 I'm not bouncing back from my little off, as easy as it was, like I expected to. It is a bit depressing. I quit taking any pain meds, and the dull ache in my left arm (the broken one) kept me awake until 6 am. Tonight I'm taking a pill lol. Weird laying there in the dark not being able to sleep, just staring at the darkness feeling the ache of something not quite right. My right knee is still giving me fits as well. I go to ortho doc for arm exam Friday. May request an MRI on the knee.

If you have pains, it's best to get them checked out and KNOW it's normal trauma, and not something bad trauma.

Men's Fall Trip coming up Oct 8. Not sure I will be ready.

How do you even get back on the bike now aware of how quickly, painful, and possibly permanently something can happen?

I was always aware a crash could happen which is why I always wore the most armor I could- and I still got messed up pretty bad at low speed and no contact with anything.

Now that it has happened, my perspective fundamentals have changed completely.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It's simple. I've been riding on the street for 53 years. I'm a very good contientious motorcyclist. I'm not afraid of riding a motorcycle. What happened to me was a freak accident. I WILL be more careful in choices of where/how to turn around in the future.

I get a million times more pleasure out of riding than the pleasure I would recieve from the percieved safety of not riding. Not riding would give me no pleasure.

As soon as I am able I will be back on two wheels, every day in all conditions, all year. I can't imagine NOT riding. It's not in my make up not to ride.

I have been hurt worse than this climbing trees.

Don't get me wrong, I know something bad can happen anytime I climb on two wheels, or....anytime I climb in the car to go to the store, or go down a flight of steps carrying the laundry, or climb a ladder to clean the gutters, or run across a street. Watch the news, bad things happen to people through no fault of their own. People fall, drown, get electrocuted, get shot or cut by unscupulous individuals and some just fall over from heart attacks. Emergency rooms are filled everyday with people who for the most part were not riding motorcycles. Can't let fear paralyze you from enjoying life.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I understand. At 68 I'm not bouncing back from my little off, as easy as it was, like I expected to. It is a bit depressing. I quit taking any pain meds, and the dull ache in my left arm (the broken one) kept me awake until 6 am. Tonight I'm taking a pill lol. Weird laying there in the dark not being able to sleep, just staring at the darkness feeling the ache of something not quite right. My right knee is still giving me fits as well. I go to ortho doc for arm exam Friday. May request an MRI on the knee.

If you have pains, it's best to get them checked out and KNOW it's normal trauma, and not something bad trauma.

Men's Fall Trip coming up Oct 8. Not sure I will be ready.

How do you even get back on the bike now aware of how quickly, painful, and possibly permanently something can happen?

I was always aware a crash could happen which is why I always wore the most armor I could- and I still got messed up pretty bad at low speed and no contact with anything.

Now that it has happened, my perspective fundamentals have changed completely.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know much about your history, but is this really your first real accident?

perhaps it's different if you get your first big accident early vs. late. My first serious go round was about 6 months in, and i was hurt relatively bad. The bike got replaced faster than I healed, and I was back on the highway before the bandages came off. I knew i could get hurt, and i had no idea how badly until that happened to me, but it never once entered my mind that "riding" was the reason it happened to me. my choice of vehicle wasn't at fault for what happened to me. it was the driver that pulled out in front of me. it was my stupid rear end for kissing pavement in a polo shirt. it was my lack of experience that didn't do me any favors in the way I reacted to being cut off like that. having had it happen was almost liberating. when I got back on for the first time i told myself that if i felt anxious or spooked or unsteady i'd just park it and give it up, maybe go back to scooters or something, but i didn't feel any of that. i just felt like it was good to be back.

i guess i'm saying that if your feelings of anxiety don't leave you when you get back on, then you know what's best. but don't make that decision without getting back on.
 
In other words you can either live your life doing what you enjoy or live your life playing the odds. There is inherent risk in riding a motorcycle just as in everything else in life. Only you can decide whether the risk is worth taking versus the enjoyment you receive from doing it. There is no right or wrong answer and even if you didn’t have your accident no one here would think any less of you if you stopped riding.
 
I fractured my spine, April 1963 in Honda 50 Super Sport (CA110) versus 18 wheeler collision.
I repaired the bike, but my parents did not like me riding it while wearing a body cast and required me to sell it (age 16).

I went another 18 years before crashing, again. Although the forks caved in, my injuries were relatively minor. I rode the bike back to my shop.

In many years of off-road desert riding, I have flipped bikes (actually the same bike, I think), twice. Knocked the wind out of me, but picked 'em up and got back on.

Not trying to ride after a drop/crash may bring a lot of regrets.

My CB1100 went to the dealer today, for the previously agreed upon $5,000 (have to return tomorrow to finish paperwork): 12,523 miles in < 10 months.

I put over 1,000 miles on it since my second mini-stroke (if that is what it was) of Aug 9-10.

However, I am more concerned that I may hurt someone else, although the biggest issue, thus far, has been dust in my left eye, despite goggles.

I am grateful for 17 bikes in 55 years, but I am not expecting to get another.
 
like most other dangerous pursuits (sky diving, rock climbing, down hill skiing, bicycle riding, or nearly any sport..my good friend's son just blew out his knee in playing high school football..multiple surgeries 8 mo-12 mo recovery), if you are determined (destined even) to participate in that activity, there is little short of death that will keep you from doing so. Get hurt, heal up, get back to it.

Now if it was just something you needed to try... and got hurt, then you might not be so eager to participate again.
 
The ferret_imp said:
like most other dangerous pursuits (sky diving, rock climbing, down hill skiing, bicycle riding, or nearly any sport..my good friend's son just blew out his knee in playing high school football..multiple surgeries 8 mo-12 mo recovery), if you are determined (destined even) to participate in that activity, there is little short of death that will keep you from doing so. Get hurt, heal up, get back to it.

Now if it was just something you needed to try... and got hurt, then you might not be so eager to participate again.
Like others, I'm just happy that things aren't worse than they are.

Ferret - what happened to you?

Beerman
 
mtneers_imp said:
Sorry to hear you are giving it up but I can completely understand. I have the same thought quite often. Just haven’t taken to step to pull the trigger. I wrecked a Yamaha 750 Special in 1980. Too fast around a sharp curve and hadn’t ridden for several years. As if wrecking a fairly new bike wasn’t bad enough, it was compounded by a visit from my parents the following day who were unaware I had purchased another bike. The scratches, scrapes and bruises on my face told them the story. It now keeps me “honest” when I start to get a little brazen when riding. For that reason, I long ago adopted “Arrive Alive” to my riding philosophy.

And, to what the ferret and KiowaEagle stated, I once read that more home accidents involve a ladder than any other tool or device.

Stay safe and try to find a hobby that you enjoy. I’ll miss your posts on the unique things you were doing to your Cb.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've heard that. That's why I always use a rickety chair. :P
 
Back
Top