Battery

linuxology_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Has anyone replaced their battery on the CB1100? Did you typically wait for it to die or do you replace it as a maintenance action? If maintenance action what is your methodology in time.
 
Test your battery each time you do an oil change or more frequently if you wish. When you notice it starting to weaken and losing performance, pop in a new one. Why wait 'til it inconveniently dies and leaves you stranded. That said, the DLX's battery is still measuring up fine ;)
 
You can buy a decent battery tester for $30 anymore.
 
Wait until it dies.

The modern AGM (Absorbed glass mat) batteries (or just "mat" batteries) will live for 5 to 8 years typically (yes, got 8 years out of one).

Usually refereed to as Maintenance Free or Sealed batteries.

The down side is they are expensive; the YTZ14S is $196 at Revzilla. The up side is they last 5 to 8 years.

Don't go for the cheaper old tech wet lead acid battery. These batteries are NOT maintenance free, they require you check the water (acid) levels annually... which most owners rarely do.
The other major downside is that they must breath! They have a breather hose that will spit acid all over your paint and chrome! Bad, very bad for your bike.

Buy and use a trickle charger. This will help extend the life of your battery.
All my bikes (I have 4) are on trickle chargers at all times. I personally use a timer to turn on the chargers overnight for 4 hours.
You can also just leave the charger on 24/7 and rely on the chargers brain to adapt.

Bottom line; Just go ride and enjoy your CB1100 and don't worry about the battery.

TINK
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Test your battery each time you do an oil change or more frequently if you wish. When you notice it starting to weaken and losing performance, pop in a new one. Why wait 'til it inconveniently dies and leaves you stranded. That said, the DLX's battery is still measuring up fine ;)
My experience with the modern AGM batteries is that they will just up and die on you one day. :@ Typically they do not show a decrease in performance over time.

My ST1300 battery died suddenly last summer when I was 100 miles from home. I managed to bump start the bike and get home on the alternator. :angel:

I'm told that the AMG battery death is caused by an internal short that kills it.
 
TINK_imp said:
Wait until it dies.

The modern AGM (Absorbed glass mat) batteries (or just "mat" batteries) will live for 5 to 8 years typically (yes, got 8 years out of one).

Usually refereed to as Maintenance Free or Sealed batteries.

The down side is they are expensive; the YTZ14S is $196 at Revzilla. The up side is they last 5 to 8 years.

Don't go for the cheaper old tech wet lead acid battery. These batteries are NOT maintenance free, they require you check the water (acid) levels annually... which most owners rarely do.
The other major downside is that they must breath! They have a breather hose that will spit acid all over your paint and chrome! Bad, very bad for your bike.

Buy and use a trickle charger. This will help extend the life of your battery.
All my bikes (I have 4) are on trickle chargers at all times. I personally use a timer to turn on the chargers overnight for 4 hours.
You can also just leave the charger on 24/7 and rely on the chargers brain to adapt.

Bottom line; Just go ride and enjoy your CB1100 and don't worry about the battery.

TINK
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Test your battery each time you do an oil change or more frequently if you wish. When you notice it starting to weaken and losing performance, pop in a new one. Why wait 'til it inconveniently dies and leaves you stranded. That said, the DLX's battery is still measuring up fine ;)
My experience with the modern AGM batteries is that they will just up and die on you one day. :@ Typically they do not show a decrease in performance over time.

My ST1300 battery died suddenly last summer when I was 100 miles from home. I managed to bump start the bike and get home on the alternator. :angel:

I'm told that the AMG battery death is caused by an internal short that kills it.
That was exactly what happened to my stock AGM battery. Started up just fine and rode to the post office. Mailed a letter, came out, hit the starter and nothing happened.

AGM and flooded cell batteries are only good for a few years here in the desert heat. If I get to year 3, I feel lucky. I've been running a lithium ion battery for almost a year now. Supposedly not as susceptible to heat related failure, plus it has a built in capacity meter for periodic health checks.
 
When buying a new battery, look for a business that deals only in batteries. There is an Interstate Battery dealer in Waycross who carries Yuasa and other power sports batteries. Bought my last Yuasa battery from him for a Moto Guzzi and saved nearly half over web order when including shipping.
 
I wait until they die. No-name replacements for the CB1100 are $40-$50 on Amazon. Similar batteries have worked just fine on my other bikes.
 
I agree with many others. Testing your battery bi-annually and ensuring to use a charger for everyday health maintenance are my preferred route. As soon as I detect any drop in performance during a load test I order a replacement. I've used an Optimate 6 battery charger on my last few motorcycles and I've owned batteries for 6+ years before I proactively replace them. I also clean and treat the battery terminals each time I change the oil (once per year) I've actually never had a battery "die" on me yet due to Dailey maintenance charging.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Say....anyone know if it's possible to pop-start a CB? (more specifically, a CB with a dead battery?)
It is quite possible. When I was stranded at the post office (see above), I managed to bump start it on whatever charge was left in the battery and get home.

No special procdedure. Ignition on, kill switch on, sidestand up. With the bike in 3rd gear I was able to bump start it after a short (but strenuous) push.
 
Do you need the fuel pump to be able to cycle? In other words, what if the battery is completely dead?
 
If the battery is completely dead, you're out of luck. No fuel pressure, no engine computer and no spark.

When mine died, I could turn the key, the gauges cycled and the fuel pump came on. When I'd hit the starter button everything went dark and then recyled when the button was released. It doesn't take much juice to power the ECM and fuel pump, so for most dying batteries there should be enough residual power to get a bump start.
 
Thanks, Flyn. Presumably,once you get it going, the alternator puts enough juice into it to keep the ECM etc functioning.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Do you need the fuel pump to be able to cycle? In other words, what if the battery is completely dead?
Supposedly you need >=9v to run the ECU and pump, so if you have a totally dead battery push starting won't work.

I guess if the hill was long enough to get the alternator going to build voltage though...
 
Right. But, if you've enough juice to cycle the fuel pump, you'll be fine for a jump start.

Me? I'm impressed with Flynrider's athleticism. When Pterodactyl flattened his battery at a coffee stop one day, it took a couple of quite burley chaps to push it fast enough to get it going. If there weren't a downhill bit, I'd be in strife!
 
I have to admit, it was not a piece of cake. The parking lot was completely flat and it was about 100 degrees out. My first few attempts were thwarted because I'd left the side stand down (I hate that safety switch).

If you use a higher gear than 1st, you can get it to turn over without having to build up a lot of speed. In first gear the rear tire will just slide unless you've built up some substantial speed. In third gear the engine turned over quite easily at just a few mph.
 
I was always taught not to use 1st for jump starting.
 
Whatever happened to the good old days when all motorcycles had one of these. My kawasaki Z1 has both kick and electric leg...Only because it had a habit of boiling the battery dry.
 
I will admit I kinda (okay, fully) wish that bikes still had kickers. There is something about kicking a bike to life vs just hitting a button that makes the man/machine interaction that much better. Yamaha made the new SR400 kick-start only, but other than that, I think the idea is dead.
 
Back
Top