Basic Maintenance: Installing RLETs on a CB1100 (All Models)

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
1Rightfully so, I was strongly encouraged to install RLETs on my motorcycle. Finding the OEM part was easy enough, but I did have some trouble sourcing an installation procedure which did not involve cursing, heartache, and bloody fingers.

The procedure I used below was definitely improvised. I suspect there is a truly professional procedure which is better. Feel free to mock this improvisation and set the record straight. 

That said, here is how I managed to get two RLETs installed in about an hour.

Step 1: Order twice as many RLETs as you plan to install. It is easy to split a seam no matter how you install them. I ordered mine from Partzilla. The compatible OEM Part Number is 95010-16001. I recommend you ignore the warning about the part not fitting a CB110. This OEM part will fit.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/95010-16001

Step 2: When you receive the RLETs, unwrap the package and confirm that all of the rubber seams are in tact. Take a 5/16 socket and insert it into the center of the RLET:


5PO3f7T.jpeg


Step 3: Heat some water in a glass until it is almost boiling. Place the RLET into the glass. Let it it “simmer” for 15 minutes. Heat more water and replace the water in the glass. Let the RLET “simmer” for another 15 minutes. Be careful with the glass, water, and RLET. Everything absorbs heat and can burn you.

sePHhzr.jpeg


y7LM3Le.jpeg



Step 4: Remove the RLET from the water. Remove the 5/16 socket from the RLET. Spray an aerosol based oil like PAM or something similar into the opening of the RLET. Try to keep the oil “inside” the RLET. Do everything you can to keep the oil away from the rubber on the RLET which faces outward. Oil on the outside of the RLET will make it difficult to push down onto the handlebar in the next step:


kLVYCwA.jpeg


dcA3HcN.jpeg


Step 5: Take a good pair of needle nose pliers and “pry” open the RLET. This task requires as much “feel” as strength. Open slowly, stretching the already softened rubber. When you have an adequate opening, slip it over the lever where you want to place the RLET. Note that you will only be able to get the RLET on partially. Once it is “halfway” on the handlebar, withdraw the needle nose plowers and use your hands to finish pushing the RLET into its final position. When the RLET cools, it will return to its original shape. Like all parts on our CB1100s, Honda used only the best rubber to make the RLETs. 

sfyZMy8.jpeg


3zmmYRv.jpeg



Hope these notes are useful. I welcome any suggestions for improving them or an existing post which has a better approach.

Take care,
David
 
Brilliant! Another addition to RLET installation lore.
 
Please somebody repost the sheep castrator.

Also, does anyone else have the options for emoji's when replying?
 
Thread starter
peterbaron said:
I install one RLET under 7 sec, no tool... :blush: :D

That is because you are a not a man but a motorcycle God. The rest of us remain humble before you. David
 
Whoops said:
Please somebody repost the sheep castrator.

Also, does anyone else have the options for emoji's when replying?

I have them  :P :) :cool: :D and all the others :sick:  like that one if you click get more under the smilies
 
MiLord, look at the equipment and lots of new tool and stuff here... I think we should go back to school to update, no??  :P
 
peterbaron said:
MiLord, look at the equipment and lots of new tool and stuff here... I think we should go back to school to update, no??  :P

Sadly, that is probably true  :D
 
Welcome Venteuri. Excellent RLETs.
 
I have RLETs on three of my bikes. Just shot some rubber protectant in them for lubrication and shoved them on. Nothing to it. A little harder on the Triumph as the ball on the end of the lever was larger but, just shoved harder.
 
Yes, I believe there were mixed feelings about installing them on non-Hondas. I believe they have brought a positive energy and contend that the accident on my Triumph in January of 2020 was minimal and injury-free because of the RLET energy.

Then again, the rest of 2020 sort of went off a cliff, so…
 
Super Bird, on the other hand, is a Honda, but has hand guards. I believe those would block positive energy produced by the RLETs and have therefore kept them off of that bike.

I will be riding Super Bird to a job interview tomorrow... I will need an incredible amount of positive energy.
 
Thread starter
Gin60, any organization would be blessed to have you. We look forward to congratulating on a new gig and bright future. David
 
Gone in 60 said:
Super Bird, on the other hand, is a Honda, but has hand guards. I believe those would block positive energy produced by the RLETs and have therefore kept them off of that bike.

I will be riding Super Bird to a job interview tomorrow... I will need an incredible amount of positive energy.

Chris, lord knows it's a very interesting job market these days. But I'm sure you'll do great!

May the spiritual gods and the riding gods be with you today my friend  :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3261.webp
    IMG_3261.webp
    795.1 KB · Views: 38
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the good wishes and positive vibes. Not going to jinx it by saying much about the gig yet, but just got back from my interview and it went very well. Leading to a follow up call later today. If it does come to fruition, I'll spill the beans.
 
pekingduck said:
Gone in 60 said:
I have RLETs on three of my bikes. Just shot some rubber protectant in them for lubrication and shoved them on. Nothing to it. A little harder on the Triumph as the ball on the end of the lever was larger but, just shoved harder.

Are you saying the Triumph has bigger balls?

Yes. Yes they do.
 
Back
Top