Average CB1100 Rider Age

Rocky_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Stopped riding, a few weeks ago, due to a health issue, at age 71 years, 7 months, so I am no longer a CB rider, but remain a CB enthusiast.
Sorry to hear that SD. All the best for your health in the future :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sorry to hear that SD. All the best for your health in the future :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
SD,
You are PERMANENT member forever:D:clap::hello::beerchug::worship:
 
Guess I need to go back to the beginning of this thread and click a new box, possibly. I'll hit 76 in January of 2019. I've just gotten the suspension to where I really enjoy this bike. She may weigh in at over 500 pounds, but feels at least 100 pounds lighter (how does Honda do that??)

Also threw a bunch of $$ at my soon-to-be 28 year old '91 BMW R100GS, and she's running nicely! I've owned since new in March of 1991, and at slightly over 155,000 miles, she now has a new lease on life. Carbs rebuilt, tranny bearings replaced along with seals, new driveshaft, new clutch plate and spring .... singular... it's one diaphragm spring, and a bunch of incidentals. Engine top end was rebuilt approx 25k miles ago, ignition by Alpha, Nippondenso starter motor, so she should be good to go for as long as I can throw a leg over.

And the Guzzi, at 65,000 miles, just rumbles sweetly along! Here she was in 2010, near Warsaw, Ohio, riding along the Walhonding River.


Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Guess I need to go back to the beginning of this thread and click a new box, possibly. I'll hit 76 in January of 2019. I've just gotten the suspension to where I really enjoy this bike. She may weigh in at over 500 pounds, but feels at least 100 pounds lighter (how does Honda do that??)

Also threw a bunch of $$ at my soon-to-be 28 year old '91 BMW R100GS, and she's running nicely! I've owned since new in March of 1991, and at slightly over 155,000 miles, she now has a new lease on life. Carbs rebuilt, tranny bearings replaced along with seals, new driveshaft, new clutch plate and spring .... singular... it's one diaphragm spring, and a bunch of incidentals. Engine top end was rebuilt approx 25k miles ago, ignition by Alpha, Nippondenso starter motor, so she should be good to go for as long as I can throw a leg over.

And the Guzzi, at 65,000 miles, just rumbles sweetly along! Here she was in 2010, near Warsaw, Ohio, riding along the Walhonding River.


Bob
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100.
 
emullick_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
Guess I need to go back to the beginning of this thread and click a new box, possibly. I'll hit 76 in January of 2019. I've just gotten the suspension to where I really enjoy this bike. She may weigh in at over 500 pounds, but feels at least 100 pounds lighter (how does Honda do that??)

Also threw a bunch of $$ at my soon-to-be 28 year old '91 BMW R100GS, and she's running nicely! I've owned since new in March of 1991, and at slightly over 155,000 miles, she now has a new lease on life. Carbs rebuilt, tranny bearings replaced along with seals, new driveshaft, new clutch plate and spring .... singular... it's one diaphragm spring, and a bunch of incidentals. Engine top end was rebuilt approx 25k miles ago, ignition by Alpha, Nippondenso starter motor, so she should be good to go for as long as I can throw a leg over.

And the Guzzi, at 65,000 miles, just rumbles sweetly along! Here she was in 2010, near Warsaw, Ohio, riding along the Walhonding River.


Bob
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100.
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100. Ended up installing Race Tech kit, with some really good tech phone support from Matt Wiley of Race Tech.
- installed lighter fork springs (.80 wt) a better match for my weight (160) and our rough secondary roads.
- drilled OEM damper rods per Race Tech (enlarged 4 existing 1/4" holes in each damping rod to 5/16" and added two more 5/16" holes in each rod.
- Per Race Tech, drilled two additional small holes in the RTG valve plates.
- initial sag came out to 45mm (too much) so added additional 25mm spacer to the 165mm spacer (both pvc, not oem.) Resulted in approx 30-32mm static sag.

I still need to change out 10W Honda fork oil to 15w or 20w per Race Tech, to firm up the rebound damping. We're into much cooler weather, so that'll wait until next spring.

For the rear suspension, I installed a set of Ikon 7610 shocks (PN 7610-1507) with 3 positions of preload and 4 positions of rebound damping, and ordered the lightest of two available spring rates (15/21/28.) Roger at Ikon in Bedford PA was another helpful source.
 
U
emullick_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
Guess I need to go back to the beginning of this thread and click a new box, possibly. I'll hit 76 in January of 2019. I've just gotten the suspension to where I really enjoy this bike. She may weigh in at over 500 pounds, but feels at least 100 pounds lighter (how does Honda do that??)

Also threw a bunch of $$ at my soon-to-be 28 year old '91 BMW R100GS, and she's running nicely! I've owned since new in March of 1991, and at slightly over 155,000 miles, she now has a new lease on life. Carbs rebuilt, tranny bearings replaced along with seals, new driveshaft, new clutch plate and spring .... singular... it's one diaphragm spring, and a bunch of incidentals. Engine top end was rebuilt approx 25k miles ago, ignition by Alpha, Nippondenso starter motor, so she should be good to go for as long as I can throw a leg over.

And the Guzzi, at 65,000 miles, just rumbles sweetly along! Here she was in 2010, near Warsaw, Ohio, riding along the Walhonding River.


Bob
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100.
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100.
The CB 1100 is nearly perfect for where I am now. With better rear shocks,
I expect it will be perfect. I’m 68, and honestly, I never thought I would ever be this old. It just happened. Changes take me by suprize all the time. I have to think about my knees and my back now, and something new gets added to the list every few months. I’m selling my 2000 ZRX 1100 because I no longer like leaning into the handlebars like I’m riding a wild horse. I’m selling the BMW K95 because it’s too tall, and one day I’m going to lose the wrestling match on my tip toes with 500 pounds of metal if I have to stop on an uphill curve. I’ll keep the ‘81 Kawasaki GPz 1100 because we go too far back. It’s low enough to be comfortable and can push me with 120 hp while sitting upright, and like the CB 1100, it draws long stares wherever I take it.
 
gwhmax1969_imp said:
I am 62, have Harleys, but the cb1100 is a lot of fun to ride
Welcome from Clark County, Nevada / Yavapai County, Arizona!

My 2014 CB1100 standard is a tad faster than was my stage 1 2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport...and much less vibration for distances. Both were very enjoyable for low end torque!
 
ohiorider_imp said:
emullick_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
Guess I need to go back to the beginning of this thread and click a new box, possibly. I'll hit 76 in January of 2019. I've just gotten the suspension to where I really enjoy this bike. She may weigh in at over 500 pounds, but feels at least 100 pounds lighter (how does Honda do that??)

Also threw a bunch of $$ at my soon-to-be 28 year old '91 BMW R100GS, and she's running nicely! I've owned since new in March of 1991, and at slightly over 155,000 miles, she now has a new lease on life. Carbs rebuilt, tranny bearings replaced along with seals, new driveshaft, new clutch plate and spring .... singular... it's one diaphragm spring, and a bunch of incidentals. Engine top end was rebuilt approx 25k miles ago, ignition by Alpha, Nippondenso starter motor, so she should be good to go for as long as I can throw a leg over.

And the Guzzi, at 65,000 miles, just rumbles sweetly along! Here she was in 2010, near Warsaw, Ohio, riding along the Walhonding River.


Bob
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100.
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100. Ended up installing Race Tech kit, with some really good tech phone support from Matt Wiley of Race Tech.
- installed lighter fork springs (.80 wt) a better match for my weight (160) and our rough secondary roads.
- drilled OEM damper rods per Race Tech (enlarged 4 existing 1/4" holes in each damping rod to 5/16" and added two more 5/16" holes in each rod.
- Per Race Tech, drilled two additional small holes in the RTG valve plates.
- initial sag came out to 45mm (too much) so added additional 25mm spacer to the 165mm spacer (both pvc, not oem.) Resulted in approx 30-32mm static sag.

I still need to change out 10W Honda fork oil to 15w or 20w per Race Tech, to firm up the rebound damping. We're into much cooler weather, so that'll wait until next spring.

For the rear suspension, I installed a set of Ikon 7610 shocks (PN 7610-1507) with 3 positions of preload and 4 positions of rebound damping, and ordered the lightest of two available spring rates (15/21/28.) Roger at Ikon in Bedford PA was another helpful source.
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100. Ended up installing Race Tech kit, with some really good tech phone support from Matt Wiley of Race Tech.
- installed lighter fork springs (.80 wt) a better match for my weight (160) and our rough secondary roads.
- drilled OEM damper rods per Race Tech (enlarged 4 existing 1/4" holes in each damping rod to 5/16" and added two more 5/16" holes in each rod.
- Per Race Tech, drilled two additional small holes in the RTG valve plates.
- initial sag came out to 45mm (too much) so added additional 25mm spacer to the 165mm spacer (both pvc, not oem.) Resulted in approx 30-32mm static sag.

I still need to change out 10W Honda fork oil to 15w or 20w per Race Tech, to firm up the rebound damping. We're into much cooler weather, so that'll wait until next spring.

For the rear suspension, I installed a set of Ikon 7610 shocks (PN 7610-1507) with 3 positions of preload and 4 positions of rebound damping, and ordered the lightest of two available spring rates (15/21/28.) Roger at Ikon in Bedford PA was another helpful source. What is the stock front spring rate, RaceTech recommends 0.85 for me at 180 lbs.
 
emullick_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
emullick_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
Guess I need to go back to the beginning of this thread and click a new box, possibly. I'll hit 76 in January of 2019. I've just gotten the suspension to where I really enjoy this bike. She may weigh in at over 500 pounds, but feels at least 100 pounds lighter (how does Honda do that??)

Also threw a bunch of $$ at my soon-to-be 28 year old '91 BMW R100GS, and she's running nicely! I've owned since new in March of 1991, and at slightly over 155,000 miles, she now has a new lease on life. Carbs rebuilt, tranny bearings replaced along with seals, new driveshaft, new clutch plate and spring .... singular... it's one diaphragm spring, and a bunch of incidentals. Engine top end was rebuilt approx 25k miles ago, ignition by Alpha, Nippondenso starter motor, so she should be good to go for as long as I can throw a leg over.

And the Guzzi, at 65,000 miles, just rumbles sweetly along! Here she was in 2010, near Warsaw, Ohio, riding along the Walhonding River.


Bob
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100.
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100. Ended up installing Race Tech kit, with some really good tech phone support from Matt Wiley of Race Tech.
- installed lighter fork springs (.80 wt) a better match for my weight (160) and our rough secondary roads.
- drilled OEM damper rods per Race Tech (enlarged 4 existing 1/4" holes in each damping rod to 5/16" and added two more 5/16" holes in each rod.
- Per Race Tech, drilled two additional small holes in the RTG valve plates.
- initial sag came out to 45mm (too much) so added additional 25mm spacer to the 165mm spacer (both pvc, not oem.) Resulted in approx 30-32mm static sag.

I still need to change out 10W Honda fork oil to 15w or 20w per Race Tech, to firm up the rebound damping. We're into much cooler weather, so that'll wait until next spring.

For the rear suspension, I installed a set of Ikon 7610 shocks (PN 7610-1507) with 3 positions of preload and 4 positions of rebound damping, and ordered the lightest of two available spring rates (15/21/28.) Roger at Ikon in Bedford PA was another helpful source.
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100. Ended up installing Race Tech kit, with some really good tech phone support from Matt Wiley of Race Tech.
- installed lighter fork springs (.80 wt) a better match for my weight (160) and our rough secondary roads.
- drilled OEM damper rods per Race Tech (enlarged 4 existing 1/4" holes in each damping rod to 5/16" and added two more 5/16" holes in each rod.
- Per Race Tech, drilled two additional small holes in the RTG valve plates.
- initial sag came out to 45mm (too much) so added additional 25mm spacer to the 165mm spacer (both pvc, not oem.) Resulted in approx 30-32mm static sag.

I still need to change out 10W Honda fork oil to 15w or 20w per Race Tech, to firm up the rebound damping. We're into much cooler weather, so that'll wait until next spring.

For the rear suspension, I installed a set of Ikon 7610 shocks (PN 7610-1507) with 3 positions of preload and 4 positions of rebound damping, and ordered the lightest of two available spring rates (15/21/28.) Roger at Ikon in Bedford PA was another helpful source. What is the stock front spring rate, RaceTech recommends 0.85 for me at 180 lbs.
What did you do for the suspension? I had RaceTech do my ZX 9R for Track Day riding and was very happy with the result.
They quote $320 parts and labor for front, and $900 for rears for the CB 1100. Ended up installing Race Tech kit, with some really good tech phone support from Matt Wiley of Race Tech.
- installed lighter fork springs (.80 wt) a better match for my weight (160) and our rough secondary roads.
- drilled OEM damper rods per Race Tech (enlarged 4 existing 1/4" holes in each damping rod to 5/16" and added two more 5/16" holes in each rod.
- Per Race Tech, drilled two additional small holes in the RTG valve plates.
- initial sag came out to 45mm (too much) so added additional 25mm spacer to the 165mm spacer (both pvc, not oem.) Resulted in approx 30-32mm static sag.

I still need to change out 10W Honda fork oil to 15w or 20w per Race Tech, to firm up the rebound damping. We're into much cooler weather, so that'll wait until next spring.

For the rear suspension, I installed a set of Ikon 7610 shocks (PN 7610-1507) with 3 positions of preload and 4 positions of rebound damping, and ordered the lightest of two available spring rates (15/21/28.) Roger at Ikon in Bedford PA was another helpful source. What is the stock front spring rate, RaceTech recommends 0.85 for me at 180 lbs. Don't know OEM spring rate. I'm using RaceTech .80 and I weigh in slightly over 160# without any gear on. Bike has zero added accessories at this time.
 
47 here.

Started really riding about a year and a half ago. Picked up a ‘77 CB550F. So cool, but old and not in the best shape for a commuter. Saw the ‘13 CB1100 DLX, and fell in love. Last year I popped on a ‘14 STD new old stock at a nice price, and I love it. A month later my wife got her ‘14 STD, and now we have a matching pair.

I should call it a day now and leave work early. I could still get in an afternoon ride.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
50 man. Younger riders than me complain that the bike is too heavy. Millennials, at least the ones around me, don't care 'bout m/c's in general.
 
I am 78 this month. I bought a brand new CB750 in 1970. I have several bikes I ride today but when I saw the CB1100 it seemed like a chance to own a bike that reminded me of the one I had in 1970. The bike is great, does everything really good. Its so easy to ride and sounds like a precision machine. I have no complaints. Mine is a 2014 that was new and still in a crate in 2019 when I found it, the price was great and the bike is fun.
 
Yup, for me CB1100 is too heavy. And I am a decade younger than you.:blush: But nonetheless its cool to ride CB1100 around, everyone thought she's a restored 1970's bike....

GoldOxide_imp said:
50 man. Younger riders than me complain that the bike is too heavy. Millennials, at least the ones around me, don't care 'bout m/c's in general.
 
Deftquiver_imp said:
So I know honda expected this bike to be bought by the guys who wanted to re-experience the CB750's of their youth, but I'm curious how old the people who actually bought the bike are... I'm probably the youngster of the group at 29.

Deft
Hi you and Honda are correct, except add the ones of us who were riding then, but could not afford a new CB750!
 
Getting real close to 65, started riding at 8, fell off and took the first engine apart in the same year, a solex i had found and dragged home, it never ran but i tried starting it with a rope.
Drove a 125 cc vespa scooter at 14 or so, built my first moped at 15 from bits, painted it grey with a sachs engine and drove that for two years before buying a new red sporty 50cc honda with the money from my first job.

Besides Rocky here's another role model on his 86'th birthday;


The comments on the video are just as good to read and;
He seems very happy.
 
lol good for him.God bless him. I can only hope. Gotta love old guys. Need a clock on your bike and it didn't come with one? Put a wrist watch and band around the brake master cylinder lol.

As of next month I will be 7 years older than when this poll started.
 
max_imp said:
Getting real close to 65, started riding at 8, fell off and took the first engine apart in the same year, a solex i had found and dragged home, it never ran but i tried starting it with a rope.
Drove a 125 cc vespa scooter at 14 or so, built my first moped at 15 from bits, painted it grey with a sachs engine and drove that for two years before buying a new red sporty 50cc honda with the money from my first job.

Besides Rocky here's another role model on his 86'th birthday;


The comments on the video are just as good to read and;
He seems very happy.
I love it! Good for him :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top