Average CB1100 Rider Age

I figured I'd be one of the youngest on here. 25 for a few more months (although I don't really keep track of my age; wife and I had to figure it based on DOB!) I bought my first bike exactly a year ago today (2012 Shadow Aero, new) and didn't start riding it until I got my license in August (it spent 6 months in the garage with 0.0 miles and started up immediately, thanks fuel injection!). By all means I'm still a brand new rider compared to most, but I fell in love with the CB1100 when I first saw it 9 or so months ago. Fortunately with only 1460 miles on the Shadow I was able to get full trade-in value and bought the CB1100 for $8949 (also new). Compared to the Shadow it was an absolutely wonderful ride, and couldn't be happier with it. The fact that such a wonderful bike represents such an important heritage is icing on the cake, and I hope to pick up a classic CB750 as well. Along with my father's Norton 850 Commando! (He sold it to a brother-in-law many years ago but I'm determined to acquire it).

Also, only 5 votes for under 26!?
 
23 Here. I read somewhere that there was a feeling in Honda that this bike would develop a bit of a niche with younger riders who are relativley new to motorcycling due to the way it looks like a "proper" motorcycle. If that is in fact true, then Honda caught me hook, line and sinker, I can't think of many other bikes that are so practical yet good looking.
 
Wow, 25 and 23....the pups are coming out of the woodwork. Good on ya fellas! I am actually amazed when I hear people in their 20's thinks this looks like a proper motorcycle. Would not have expected that.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Wow, 25 and 23....the pups are coming out of the woodwork. Good on ya fellas! I am actually amazed when I hear people in their 20's thinks this looks like a proper motorcycle. Would not have expected that.
Proper indeed. Not a fan of the insect look. I guess plastic bikes just aren't my thing!
 
The ferret_imp said:

Oh I get it now! You are a rider from India :-) would have never guessed that. one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk [url=http://'http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free

Funny thing about nicknames...story behind every one but we seldom learn the reason. I would have assumed he owned an Indian motorcycle. Silly me.
Back in India , we got cable tv only in 1990 or 1991 and once we got cable, we got delayed or recorded wsbk, gp races and the commentators would go "Italian rider" , "American rider", " British rider " etc..etc..etc..

Never had an Indian rider racing on the international scene so that was the nick name we gave to any local guy who was into bikes and racing in our group .. Once I moved to the US I still kept the Indian rider nickname and hence the user Id ..

Since I've been enjoying my Vulcan 900 cruiser for relaxed riding and touring lately, I have an eye on newer Indian cruisers in the future so the ID can mean anything anyone wants it to be ..

Maybe someone should start a thread to explain why they chose their user/forum id
 
IndianRider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:

Oh I get it now! You are a rider from India :-) would have never guessed that. one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk [url=http://'http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free

Funny thing about nicknames...story behind every one but we seldom learn the reason. I would have assumed he owned an Indian motorcycle. Silly me.
Back in India , we got cable tv only in 1990 or 1991 and once we got cable, we got delayed or recorded wsbk, gp races and the commentators would go "Italian rider" , "American rider", " British rider " etc..etc..etc..

Never had an Indian rider racing on the international scene so that was the nick name we gave to any local guy who was into bikes and racing in our group .. Once I moved to the US I still kept the Indian rider nickname and hence the user Id ..

Since I've been enjoying my Vulcan 900 cruiser for relaxed riding and touring lately, I have an eye on newer Indian cruisers in the future so the ID can mean anything anyone wants it to be ..

Maybe someone should start a thread to explain why they chose their user/forum id

I think you should be the one to start that thread. Frankly, I doubt that anyone is going to top your story however. That's awesome.
 
to top for new members.. poll up folks
 
I'm 25, got my m1 license last summer. The CB is my second bike, my '12 Bonneville is my first- bought it the same week I walked out of DMV with my interim license :D

Me and my friends always wanted Ninjas and CBRs when we were fresh out of high school. Matter of fact, that's what most people assume I ride when someone sees my gear but not my bike. But once I did my homework about motorcycles, found out what I really want out of a bike, and sat on multiple bikes to feel out their ergonomics, I realized that modern classics with traditional, standard riding positions were more for me.

Not to mention, WAY more forgiving on insurance. Any 20-something here will probably agree, the CB has the most affordable insurance of any brand new liter bike.
 
At Daytona this year the "aging motorcyclist demographic" the journalists have been talking about for years was painfully obvious. You could see it not just in the people themselves, but the rides as well. Trikes were everywhere, as were Can Am 3-wheelers. Fewer than 10% of the people at the demo rides were 30-something, and the majority were in their 50's and up.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
At Daytona this year the "aging motorcyclist demographic" the journalists have been talking about for years was painfully obvious. You could see it not just in the people themselves, but the rides as well. Trikes were everywhere, as were Can Am 3-wheelers. Fewer than 10% of the people at the demo rides were 30-something, and the majority were in their 50's and up.
Welcome to the future. It's been like this in general aviation for a long time now, and I think the trend is only going to accelerate for most non-virtual activities. Combine the demographic bulge of the "boomers" with the fact that younger people (as a group) seem to have less interest in this kind of thing, then throw in the ever-increasing pace of technological change....

The next 15-30 years could be "interesting," to say the least...
 
Older riders have more income too. Motorcycles don't offer the cheap transportation that they used too either.
It would help if a TV show (or two or three) - popular ones - came out like Then Came Bronson, Happy Days etc. that had positive role models for motorcycle riders. Someone young folks could look up to and want to emulate.

Who wants to emulate an ol' fart that not only knows what a slide rule is, but can use one.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Older riders have more income too. Motorcycles don't offer the cheap transportation that they used too either.
It would help if a TV show (or two or three) - popular ones - came out like Then Came Bronson, Happy Days etc. that had positive role models for motorcycle riders. Someone young folks could look up to and want to emulate.

Who wants to emulate an ol' fart that not only knows what a slide rule is, but can use one.
Brilliant. :rofl:
I just ran across my $300+ slide rule I used in college. The year after I bought it calculators started hitting the shelves and one with just basic functions (+, - , *, /, sqrt) was $700. I stayed with my slide rule.
 
Back
Top