Are you left-handed, right-handed, or neither?

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Poll posted on CA200's behalf.

How many of you who ride are left-handed, right-handed or both? The percentage of left-handed motorcyclists that CA200 encountered during his time in the business was higher than most might expect.
 
How can you do anything left handed? pffft all left hands are good for is gripping and clutching.
 
On longer rides (straight line ONLY!), I like to rest my right hand and arm and control the throttle/steer with my left hand. Of course I can only do this at speeds above 40mph or so. :D
Several years ago, my g/f and I drove from Memphis to St Louis to buy an 83 CB1100F. On the way back my right arm got so tired that I rested it by controlling the bike with my left hand for a couple miles. God forbid I had to grab a handful of front brake! :s YIKES!!!
Anyone else ever done this? :biker:
 
I am right handed but do everything that takes two hands left handed. Like shooting a shotgun, rifle, shooting pool ect.. I am left eye dominate so it works well for me. I shoot a pistol right handed but have to go down my left side because of the better eye. This all stems from my Dad teaching me how to shoot at a very young age. He was left handed and that is how he taught me and it has stuck with me for life. No way I can change it up now.
 
I'm right handed but do odd things like sweeping and chopping wood left handed. I've no idea why.
 
Answered the poll as the righty I am. My wife is a right handed rider, also. However, our son rides and is a lefty. I guess this proves that sometimes two rights can make a left. ;)
 
I'm right-handed, but in 2008 I had shoulder replacement surgery on my right shoulder due to a crash.
My wife took great care of me, but I had to learn to do many things for myself with my left hand - eat, wash, bathroom, etc.
I was as fit as a fiddle after six months of physio, but by then I had learned to use my left hand really well and even today I catch myself reaching with my left arm instead of my right.
I can't write with my left hand, or do anything delicate like that, but I can do many ordinary things now I couldn't before the crash.

BTW, the crash was in the wilds of Peru, but that's another story.
 
Well, Rocky, glad you recovered well, and it's good you can use your left as well,as your right hand, but why do t you enlighten us is with the story of your crash?
 
I knew a guy who crashed and injured his left hand, his left elbow, his left hip, his left knee, and his left foot.

He's all right now.

:thanks:
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I knew a guy who crashed and injured his left hand, his left elbow, his left hip, his left knee, and his left foot.

He's all right now.

:thanks:
And I'll bet that guy was you :D
Cormanus_imp said:
Well, Rocky, glad you recovered well, and it's good you can use your left as well,as your right hand, but why do t you enlighten us is with the story of your crash?
If anyone else is interested in the Peru story I can start a thread.
I guess the best place would be "seat time"?
 
Seat time....and yes, there are lots of people interested in PERUsing your story. :thanks:

[my previous post was also a pun, just in case people wondered]
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Seat time....and yes, there are lots of people interested in PERUsing your story. :thanks:

[my previous post was also a pun, just in case people wondered]
OK, I'm about to have lunch, but will come back and tell the story.
I think you will find it interesting.
 
Primary strength on the left side but I use both. I throw lefty bat lefty and kick Lefty shoot a bow lefty. Everything else is done from the right side golf, pool, eat, write, bowl, Pistols and rifles.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Primary strength on the left side but I use both. I throw lefty bat lefty and kick Lefty shoot a bow lefty. Everything else is done from the right side golf, pool, eat, write, bowl, Pistols and rifles.
Strange isn't it. I'm somewhat the same way.
Right handed, but bat lefty and shoot lefty with a hockey stick.
 
Inline4_imp said:
On longer rides (straight line ONLY!), I like to rest my right hand and arm and control the throttle/steer with my left hand. Of course I can only do this at speeds above 40mph or so. :D
Several years ago, my g/f and I drove from Memphis to St Louis to buy an 83 CB1100F. On the way back my right arm got so tired that I rested it by controlling the bike with my left hand for a couple miles. God forbid I had to grab a handful of front brake! :s YIKES!!!
Anyone else ever done this? :biker:
I saw Charlie Boorman doing this on one of the episodes of Long Way Round or Long Way Down (don't remember which). He had injured his right hand during the Dakar Rally and it would start to hurt him after some time on the bike. He did exactly as you described with his left hand. I hope I'm never that tired and unable to stop that I have to do it myself! I saw some inexpensive throttle devices at the Long Beach motorcycle show that act as a sort of cruise control, allowing you to completely remove your right hand from the bars and maintain speed. I'd get one of those before any long trip where I expect long stretches of freeway.
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm right handed but do odd things like sweeping and chopping wood left handed. I've no idea why.
Cormanus, you certainly are a Renaissance man. You cover quite the spectrum with that statement.
Aussie_imp said:
I'm a lefty..
And I bet you float with the best of them. Third nipple, by chance? I'm getting a large stake and some kindling ready, just in case...
EmptySea_imp said:
I knew a guy who crashed and injured his left hand, his left elbow, his left hip, his left knee, and his left foot.

He's all right now.

:thanks:
Haha! Nicely done.
 
Back
Top