Anybody try the Aprilla 660?

bioman_imp said:
... if you can find a Piaggio dealer in your neck of the woods.
It is interesting to observed that Piaggio vehicles are somewhat ho-hum quality and fit. Yet, they own premium brands like Moto Guzzi, Aprilia and Vespa - at least in that they have very good fit, finish, and in the case of Aprilia, superior sport performance. As well as Moto Guzzi for soul and Vespa for awesome urban fun.
 
I had an Aprilia Shiver 750 for a while. Bought it from a gal who was selling it to move to Europe for grad school, and did not test ride it. This was in Hollywood, CA, a very hot day. I just asked her to ride it up and down the street so I could hear it run and shift, but when I rode it home, I noticed that it had a swoopy feeling, like it wasn't planted. I went on some forums and found the fix, which was crank the single rear shock down tighter and that improved the feel, but it had a habit of changing riding modes on its own. I'd bee riding, and it would suddenly not run very well. It had switched modes from Street to Rain. I'd change it back, and some days later it would do it again. I ended up selling it.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I had an Aprilia Shiver 750 for a while. Bought it from a gal who was selling it to move to Europe for grad school, and did not test ride it. This was in Hollywood, CA, a very hot day. I just asked her to ride it up and down the street so I could hear it run and shift, but when I rode it home, I noticed that it had a swoopy feeling, like it wasn't planted. I went on some forums and found the fix, which was crank the single rear shock down tighter and that improved the feel, but it had a habit of changing riding modes on its own. I'd bee riding, and it would suddenly not run very well. It had switched modes from Street to Rain. I'd change it back, and some days later it would do it again. I ended up selling it.
That is too bad to read.

I almost bought a 750 Shiver myself, however my butt was too big for it.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I had an Aprilia Shiver 750 for a while. Bought it from a gal who was selling it to move to Europe for grad school, and did not test ride it. This was in Hollywood, CA, a very hot day. I just asked her to ride it up and down the street so I could hear it run and shift, but when I rode it home, I noticed that it had a swoopy feeling, like it wasn't planted. I went on some forums and found the fix, which was crank the single rear shock down tighter and that improved the feel, but it had a habit of changing riding modes on its own. I'd bee riding, and it would suddenly not run very well. It had switched modes from Street to Rain. I'd change it back, and some days later it would do it again. I ended up selling it.
Consider yourself lucky, as this bike did not have park/stop mode :rolleyes:
 
We drove 1/2 a day to look at an Apilia Mana for my wife a few years ago. Unfortunately it was too tall for her
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I had an Aprilia Shiver 750 for a while. Bought it from a gal who was selling it to move to Europe for grad school, and did not test ride it. This was in Hollywood, CA, a very hot day. I just asked her to ride it up and down the street so I could hear it run and shift, but when I rode it home, I noticed that it had a swoopy feeling, like it wasn't planted. I went on some forums and found the fix, which was crank the single rear shock down tighter and that improved the feel, but it had a habit of changing riding modes on its own. I'd bee riding, and it would suddenly not run very well. It had switched modes from Street to Rain. I'd change it back, and some days later it would do it again. I ended up selling it.
Consider yourself lucky, as this bike did not have park/stop mode :rolleyes:
Consider yourself lucky, as this bike did not have park/stop mode :rolleyes:
I think the earlier Aprilia Shiver models had some issues - I seem to recall from the dealership. Those were covered under warranty.
 
Or is anybody contemplating its sister bike, the new Aprilia Tuareg 660? Same engine I believe just a different state of tune, looks fab. A little pricey in Ireland but then all bikes are expensive here.

 
Really? A manual Africa Twin is under 500 pounds wet isnt it?
 
My Quota was around 550lbs and it was too heavy for me off road. So I got a XR650L - weighed it last year (with all my crap errr mods on it) 380lbs. Still too heavy.

I'm thinking a mountain bike might be light enough. :P
 
The ferret_imp said:
Really? A manual Africa Twin is under 500 pounds wet isnt it?
Close. Just a tad over 500 lbs, but I guess that is still too much for some folks. The 2020 DCT version is only 9 lbs less than the 2017 CB1100, so not a significant difference.

One thing for sure is both the CRF1100 and CB1100 are on the heavy'ish side, and they carry their weight quite differently. The CB1100 may tend to want to go down on a slow, front brake turn and it can be gently rescued. The CRF1x00 may not have that problem, but when it starts to go down - it is going down.
 
:rofl: thats the way the FJR was.. TIMBERRRRR
 
Back
Top