Any members along the total eclipse path?

I'm hoping for a future seat time report with pictures as I can't see a total eclipse in my future.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
MikeD_imp said:
A solar eclipse is coming to America. Here’s what you’ll see where you live.

Here is the map to find out what the coverage is for any area. Just enter the zip code. It looks like I would need to travel 16 miles SW to have 100% coverage. Unfortunately, I'll be at work, but I plan on stepping outside for a bit at the peak.

I like that map, MikeD I have to travel 266 miles SW, but I'm planning on traveling more like 350 miles more south than west. I may have to rethink that though if I can actually shave 100 miles of the ride down.

Here's an interactive map on Google Maps which works well, also.

USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier
That's an excellent interactive map. You just click on any point and it'll tell you everything you want to know.

I've been using it to get coordinates so I can load up my GPS with waypoints for the flight.

Fingers crossed for good weather!
 
According to our local news WLWT there are only 5 certified sellers of the glasses, and there are people selling glasses that wont protect your eyes. List is supposedly on their website ( note I couldnt find the list)
 
Rented a cabin in Andrews NC back in January for the eclipse. My wife is a serious photographer. She and another shutterbug are happily planning all the technical details while I am trying to decide what to put in the cooler that will be next to my chair. Decisions, decisions.....
 
The ferret_imp said:
According to our local news WLWT there are only 5 certified sellers of the glasses, and there are people selling glasses that wont protect your eyes. List is supposedly on their website ( note I couldnt find the list)
There are probably more bogus "eclipse glasses" out there than legit ones. Do your homework.

I found that Lowes (yeah, the home improvement store) is stocking eclipse shades that meet the ISO 12312-2 standard from American Paper Optics, one of the leading makers of legit eclipse eyewear. I picked up a few pair this morning for $2 each.

This page has a list of legit brands : Suppliers of Safe Solar Viewers & Filters
 
Finally found a pair of eclipse glasses so I'm planning my route. Plan is to head out of Chicago at around 5:30am to ride the 350 miles or so into the path of totality. Traffic may force me to a different viewing point, but my goal is to make it to the aptly named "Ozark, IL" in remembrance of physics_teacher who was so looking forward to seeing this celestial event.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Finally found a pair of eclipse glasses so I'm planning my route. Plan is to head out of Chicago at around 5:30am to ride the 350 miles or so into the path of totality. Traffic may force me to a different viewing point, but my goal is to make it to the aptly named "Ozark, IL" in remembrance of physics_teacher who was so looking forward to seeing this celestial event.

That made me smile Sea, very thoughtful.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Finally found a pair of eclipse glasses so I'm planning my route. Plan is to head out of Chicago at around 5:30am to ride the 350 miles or so into the path of totality. Traffic may force me to a different viewing point, but my goal is to make it to the aptly named "Ozark, IL" in remembrance of physics_teacher who was so looking forward to seeing this celestial event.
Purchased glasses on Amazon that were fake. Luckily, we found out before the eclipse. We are about 35 miles from totality and I am going to Craters of the Moon to watch the event.
 
Wish I could Sea, but I'm helping my brother tKe his Bonnie back to the dealer in Dayton Ohio, as it has developed a quit running problem.
 
aschem_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Finally found a pair of eclipse glasses so I'm planning my route. Plan is to head out of Chicago at around 5:30am to ride the 350 miles or so into the path of totality. Traffic may force me to a different viewing point, but my goal is to make it to the aptly named "Ozark, IL" in remembrance of physics_teacher who was so looking forward to seeing this celestial event.
Purchased glasses on Amazon that were fake. Luckily, we found out before the eclipse. We are about 35 miles from totality and I am going to Craters of the Moon to watch the event.
a chunk of glass out of a #14 welding helmet is the ticket
that is what I used last time still have it

I am going to an ADVrider's 5 acre wooded backyard in the southern tip of Illinois
bout 30 of us so far. could be a beer festival :beerchug:
 
Nice ride. 700 round trip for me Monday. At least that's the plan. Partly cloudy is the forecast at my preferred viewing point.
 
I'm in Bremerton right now for a week (across from Seattle) and the traffice yesterday was NUTS! Portland is supposed to be in the middle of it. The rental car guy at the airport in Seattle said cars are renting for $700 a DAY!!!
 
Back
Top