Any interest in cams?

use2b_imp said:
I think much money could be spent to make this bike go faster only to be blown away by any 600 Sport bike.
Learned my lesson with Hayabusa's and almost got me killed.
Now I am so happy to have a Smooth Honda that is happy at 2K in 5th gear and will not change a thing . It is what it is !
I don't think anyone is trying to compete with sport bikes. They just want to extract the true potential of these motors. I see nothing wrong with that.
 
Thread starter
Yea, a little more excitement in a comfortable cool lookig bike. What's wrong with that?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Cams arrived to me, and I sent them to the cam shop. I need to call them to see what's next.
Very much interested to hear what the cam shop says so please do update this thread when you get some info. thanks, Andy
 
Thread starter
Intake-
Lift 0.297
Duration
@ .010" 261°
@ .020" 224°
@ .040" 206°
@ .050" 199°
@ .100" 172°
@ .150" 146°
@ .200" 116°

Exhaust-
Lift 0.294
Duration
@ .010" 299°
@ .020" 244°
@ .040" 220°
@ .050" 212°
@ .100" 172°
@ .150" 154°
@ .200" 122°
 
What about the difference between cylinders Honda talks about to get the rumble? I would think measurements for all 4 cylinders are required for this motorcycle. Probably something the shop has not encountered before.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I replied to them about that, and linked to the honda page that mentions it for reference. I have not yet received a response.
 
One significant reason not to mess with the cams is resale value.
I for one never go near anything modified. If I wanted to have more performance I would buy something with more performance out of the crate, not dismantled and modified by God knows who.
 
Thread starter
That is silly. Limit my enjoyment of my own bike, for many thousands of miles, out of a fear that I might upset a potential future tire kicker? Good thing there are many other people to sell to, none of which are a crossing thought in my choices of how I set my bike up.

I'd be more fearful of some schlub who has never heard of a TQ wrench when they change their spark plugs or oil drain plug (not even factoring in their idea of an OCI)..

Yes, I understand some people like 100% stock cars or bikes...but for every one of those people there are several who aren't that way. Selling won't be a problem. This is certainly not my first modified vehicle.
 
Thread starter
You agree resale value is a significant reason not to do cams? You really think the bike will loose value? Do you feel the same about a full exhaust? ECU tune?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Lose interest by some people yes.

To loose value would mean that everyone would have to feel like you, and that is simply not true at all.

Plenty of people don't mind properly done modifications, and would happily pay the same as a stock bike.

Mods generally don't add value, but that is not the same as loose value.

Besides, riding the bike adds miles and wear and tear- I guess none of us should do that as it 100% causes a loss in value.

Being concerned about resale on a depreciating asset is pointless. Cars are bad enough, but on a toy like a motorcycle...
 
These bikes are not collector items. Look at the price used ones are going for, modded or stock. I personally never leave any vehicle stock. Yes I have seen some peoples versions of "cool" and then they want to sell thinking they made it worth more, Jeep owners in perticular.
 
Obviously anyone should do exactly what they want to maximise their pleasure of ownership, I just wanted to point out a downside.
I suppose my point is that as you narrow the field of potential buyers for a given item then you reduce the final sale price. This is nearly always the case. The buyers of these machines are often like me (old, experienced) and don't want to buy modified machines to various degrees. Many I know change out the exhaust system and add stuff to their bikes and then convert back to stock to realise the most when they sell. And then sell the parts seperately, I don't think this will work with camshafts.
 
thepav_imp said:
Obviously anyone should do exactly what they want to maximise their pleasure of ownership, I just wanted to point out a downside.
I suppose my point is that as you narrow the field of potential buyers for a given item then you reduce the final sale price. This is nearly always the case. The buyers of these machines are often like me (old, experienced) and don't want to buy modified machines to various degrees. Many I know change out the exhaust system and add stuff to their bikes and then convert back to stock to realise the most when they sell. And then sell the parts seperately, I don't think this will work with camshafts.
I don't have any interest in cams for my bike, but I have to side here with the OP; cams can be changed very easily during a valve adjustment. I've removed and replaced cams several times, it really is not a big deal for one so inclined.

As far as warranty, as the OP pointed out, after a year you're done in most cases, but a few purchase the extended warranty. I have the five-year plan on my ZX-10R. That bike doesn't need any more power anyway but a reflash will get me another 15 easy horses, getting it back up to 200+ at the crankshaft, 185 at the rear wheel. Doubt if I would spend the $350 for that, though.

No one is ever going to get anything back out of any modification to any stock vehicle. I have owned a boatload of cars and motorcycles and you just get taken to the cleaners every time. And by the time you get around to wanting a new bike or trading the old one in, you don't want to spend the better part of week removing/replacing all the stuff back to stock. You just want that new bike or the dough in your hands from the sale.

We get all excited about our new bike and pour a fortune into mods, accessories and the like and get zero back but the fun we had.

Only thing I can say about all that is it's fine as long as one is not compromising his retirement or health care or whatever. Because it sucks to get to retirement age and not have a pot to pee in after laving well over six figures on a bunch of machines that are long gone.

I know a guy who had that addiction, last time I talked to him he'd owned over a hundred bikes, most of them used, and dumped his last dime into every one. He could have paid off his home with what he spent.

Camshafts are not usually on the list but they are not any more difficult to replace than doing a valve adjust, so for those owners who kinda dig that sort of surgery, they might be just the ticket.

It's not about the money, whether it's earmarked for A or B, but the way the bike is used. I like to leave my bikes almost completely stock and spend money only on control improvements, suspension, and tires. My time is mostly spent riding the bikes and figuring out what can be improved about me and the bike as a unit, and the racetrack is a good place for that.

Other guys want to open their wallets for paint work, fairings, pipes, whatever, doesn't matter, your relationship with your bike should make you happy.
 
I have to laugh at where this conversation has gone. Any vehicle with a motor and license plate (for general use) is the worst financial investment someone will make in there lives. You have a better chance making money on a penny stock than a motor vehicle purchase.

Having said that, these bikes have depreciated 50% already, modification will make no difference when where talking about a 5K sale.
 
Back
Top