ABS Conversion

SportsterDoc_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
As C-ABS has bigger, a 3-piston front calliper, I wonder if front fork will accommodate different size/mounting...co$t is rising up...
Think Micahgerv survived our responses?
Think Micahgerv survived our responses?
Maybe is already talking to hi$ local loan agent :P
 
I think he is in the hospital after seeing what the cost will be. And all the work :) Probably grabbed his heart and yelled “I’m coming Elizabeth”
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I think he is in the hospital after seeing what the cost will be. And all the work :) Probably grabbed his heart and yelled “I’m coming Elizabeth”
:rofl:
...but I think is better for him to know predicted co$t upfront, before digging or 1/2 way through this project:exclamation:
 
Probably riding around enjoying the bike!
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Popgun, thank you, but no need.
I got further into this than expected and no further comment from OP.
I saved all the data you (and Max) sent me, should I have opportunity to help others, but do not plan to go any further on this.

I miss riding, but not as much as I dreaded. Just got back from a week at our Arizona ranch and youngest daughter's family. Been building a pig corral, as 6 local grandkids are all in 4H and will bring home this year's pigs in about 10 days...need to get it complete NLT Saturday and I volunteered for a local event mid-day Saturday...glad I am retired!

I should probably ween myself off this forum, as I did the TW200forum and Wildguzzi forum, especially since there are so very few electrical issues to address.
If so Doc, then it was a pleasure to share information and opinions with you! You know where to find us.
 
Micahgerv_imp said:
Good day all! Just looking for some feedback on if anyone has heard of someone trying to do an ABS conversion for an EX 1100. It is the ONLY thing I do not absolutely love about this bike and would have bought an ABS model if there were any around me. I searched all over, but found nobody talking about this. If there are any posts already about this I apologize in advance. Wondering if it would be a bolt on swap if the right parts could be found. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time riders.
I think this one is a genuine "you bought the wrong bike" case.

Just sell the non-ABS and buy an ABS model. Faster, cheaper, easier, and, on top of it all: doable.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I couldn't read or respond because the base I work at seems to have cellphone blocking powers and duty for new is 40 hours of being cut off from the world. I should have prefaced this post with a little background and intentions. I have 15 years as an electronic technician by trade and 20 or so years of heavy mechanic work on Honda cars. Everything but tranny work I'm experienced at. One of the things that I loved most about the Honda platform is the interchangeability of most of their cars, you can Lego swap any upgrade imaginable with a better version of your car with a little know-how and skill. I was really curious if the same applies to the 2 wheel world. Finding a parts bike from the same family with an upgraded brake system seemed to be an easy enough thing to swap over in theory. You all brought up great points that will help me further this research. It takes a lot more than little jabs to scare me away, trust that my skin is thick and I am unoffendable. Haha. There sense to be a wealth of knowledge here and I'm appreciative of all the input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I think he is in the hospital after seeing what the cost will be. And all the work :) Probably grabbed his heart and yelled “I’m coming Elizabeth”
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Micahgerv_imp said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I couldn't read or respond because the base I work at seems to have cellphone blocking powers and duty for new is 40 hours of being cut off from the world. I should have prefaced this post with a little background and intentions. I have 15 years as an electronic technician by trade and 20 or so years of heavy mechanic work on Honda cars. Everything but tranny work I'm experienced at. One of the things that I loved most about the Honda platform is the interchangeability of most of their cars, you can Lego swap any upgrade imaginable with a better version of your car with a little know-how and skill. I was really curious if the same applies to the 2 wheel world. Finding a parts bike from the same family with an upgraded brake system seemed to be an easy enough thing to swap over in theory. You all brought up great points that will help me further this research. It takes a lot more than little jabs to scare me away, trust that my skin is thick and I am unoffendable. Haha. There sense to be a wealth of knowledge here and I'm appreciative of all the input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I think he is in the hospital after seeing what the cost will be. And all the work :) Probably grabbed his heart and yelled “I’m coming Elizabeth”
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?
Glad to here, we have another tech with a few decades of experience:)
I would not buy a bike without ABS, but even if I did, as a tech, I would not pursue with this project.... but that's me..
Good luck and ride safe .
:beerchug:
 
Wow, 15 years. Good on ya for keeping at it. A lot of techs don’t. I’ve been one for 46 years now—avionics. Peterbaron, Max and some others have been at a while too, although some are engineers.

We have a little group that helps when an electrical problem pops up. Maybe we’ll invite you to join ;)
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Wow, 15 years. Good on ya for keeping at it. A lot of techs don’t. I’ve been one for 46 years now—avionics. Peterbaron, Max and some others have been at a while too, although some are engineers.

We have a little group that helps when an electrical problem pops up. Maybe we’ll invite you to join ;)
Thanks but it's nowhere near as much time as the rest of you have. As I play with the bike and learn the ins and outs I'll be happy to help when I can. I'll just pick up the lessons you all have learned to help speed that up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
peterbaron_imp said:
Micahgerv_imp said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I couldn't read or respond because the base I work at seems to have cellphone blocking powers and duty for new is 40 hours of being cut off from the world. I should have prefaced this post with a little background and intentions. I have 15 years as an electronic technician by trade and 20 or so years of heavy mechanic work on Honda cars. Everything but tranny work I'm experienced at. One of the things that I loved most about the Honda platform is the interchangeability of most of their cars, you can Lego swap any upgrade imaginable with a better version of your car with a little know-how and skill. I was really curious if the same applies to the 2 wheel world. Finding a parts bike from the same family with an upgraded brake system seemed to be an easy enough thing to swap over in theory. You all brought up great points that will help me further this research. It takes a lot more than little jabs to scare me away, trust that my skin is thick and I am unoffendable. Haha. There sense to be a wealth of knowledge here and I'm appreciative of all the input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I think he is in the hospital after seeing what the cost will be. And all the work :) Probably grabbed his heart and yelled “I’m coming Elizabeth”
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?
Glad to here, we have another tech with a few decades of experience:)
I would not buy a bike without ABS, but even if I did, as a tech, I would not pursue with this project.... but that's me..
Good luck and ride safe .
:beerchug:
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?
Glad to here, we have another tech with a few decades of experience:)
I would not buy a bike without ABS, but even if I did, as a tech, I would not pursue with this project.... but that's me..
Good luck and ride safe .
e8c96d86df0f04a8125b3337a6a2802e.png
Thanks for the input peterbaron, it's still hypothetical at this point, just trying to broaden my mind is all

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Micahgerv_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Wow, 15 years. Good on ya for keeping at it. A lot of techs don’t. I’ve been one for 46 years now—avionics. Peterbaron, Max and some others have been at a while too, although some are engineers.

We have a little group that helps when an electrical problem pops up. Maybe we’ll invite you to join ;)
Thanks but it's nowhere near as much time as the rest of you have. As I play with the bike and learn the ins and outs I'll be happy to help when I can. I'll just pick up the lessons you all have learned to help speed that up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
peterbaron_imp said:
Micahgerv_imp said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I couldn't read or respond because the base I work at seems to have cellphone blocking powers and duty for new is 40 hours of being cut off from the world. I should have prefaced this post with a little background and intentions. I have 15 years as an electronic technician by trade and 20 or so years of heavy mechanic work on Honda cars. Everything but tranny work I'm experienced at. One of the things that I loved most about the Honda platform is the interchangeability of most of their cars, you can Lego swap any upgrade imaginable with a better version of your car with a little know-how and skill. I was really curious if the same applies to the 2 wheel world. Finding a parts bike from the same family with an upgraded brake system seemed to be an easy enough thing to swap over in theory. You all brought up great points that will help me further this research. It takes a lot more than little jabs to scare me away, trust that my skin is thick and I am unoffendable. Haha. There sense to be a wealth of knowledge here and I'm appreciative of all the input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I think he is in the hospital after seeing what the cost will be. And all the work :) Probably grabbed his heart and yelled “I’m coming Elizabeth”
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?
Glad to here, we have another tech with a few decades of experience:)
I would not buy a bike without ABS, but even if I did, as a tech, I would not pursue with this project.... but that's me..
Good luck and ride safe .
:beerchug:
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?
Glad to here, we have another tech with a few decades of experience:)
I would not buy a bike without ABS, but even if I did, as a tech, I would not pursue with this project.... but that's me..
Good luck and ride safe .
e8c96d86df0f04a8125b3337a6a2802e.png
Thanks for the input peterbaron, it's still hypothetical at this point, just trying to broaden my mind is all

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks but it's nowhere near as much time as the rest of you have. As I play with the bike and learn the ins and outs I'll be happy to help when I can. I'll just pick up the lessons you all have learned to help speed that up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
peterbaron_imp said:
Micahgerv_imp said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I couldn't read or respond because the base I work at seems to have cellphone blocking powers and duty for new is 40 hours of being cut off from the world. I should have prefaced this post with a little background and intentions. I have 15 years as an electronic technician by trade and 20 or so years of heavy mechanic work on Honda cars. Everything but tranny work I'm experienced at. One of the things that I loved most about the Honda platform is the interchangeability of most of their cars, you can Lego swap any upgrade imaginable with a better version of your car with a little know-how and skill. I was really curious if the same applies to the 2 wheel world. Finding a parts bike from the same family with an upgraded brake system seemed to be an easy enough thing to swap over in theory. You all brought up great points that will help me further this research. It takes a lot more than little jabs to scare me away, trust that my skin is thick and I am unoffendable. Haha. There sense to be a wealth of knowledge here and I'm appreciative of all the input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I think he is in the hospital after seeing what the cost will be. And all the work :) Probably grabbed his heart and yelled “I’m coming Elizabeth”
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?
Glad to here, we have another tech with a few decades of experience:)
I would not buy a bike without ABS, but even if I did, as a tech, I would not pursue with this project.... but that's me..
Good luck and ride safe .
:beerchug:
Haha, love me some Red Foxx, but not scared at all. If I was buying OEM parts it wouldn't be happening popgun, but a salvaged bike could give me the parts I need at a very low cost. Besides, who doesn't want spare parts around for just in case?
Glad to here, we have another tech with a few decades of experience:)
I would not buy a bike without ABS, but even if I did, as a tech, I would not pursue with this project.... but that's me..
Good luck and ride safe .
aab31d4f45faeb9a57b6b1c2af68e4ec.png
Thanks for the input peterbaron, it's still hypothetical at this point, just trying to broaden my mind is all

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Micahgrev, don't tease me with this pint of beer, please = I cannot even grab it :@.....lol..

Popgun, I need 10 more years to catch up with yours = stop working :), I am retiring next year...maybe 2 days a week...maybe???
:beerchug::beerchug:
 
PB,

In my field it seems like most work until we can’t, then retire and die in 6 months. I’d like to avoid that and retire in a few years(and not die in 6 mos). Believe me, I really didn’t want to be doing this past 60, but here I am :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PB,

In my field it seems like most work until we can’t, then retire and die in 6 months. I’d like to avoid that and retire in a few years(and not die in 6 mos). Believe me, I really didn’t want to be doing this past 60, but here I am :)
Popgun,
..exactly the same here, I am already slowing down, from 7am - 3pm, Tues - Fri, next year = 3 days/week, and not working on the bench any longer...just supervising/helping others for the last 2 yrs..
August 2019 might be my final month, and after this , will visit you by bike in Virginia Beach :P:P:P (was there in 1997 & 2014):thumbsup:

:beerchug:::clap::banana::excited::hello::beerchug:
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PB,

In my field it seems like most work until we can’t, then retire and die in 6 months. I’d like to avoid that and retire in a few years(and not die in 6 mos). Believe me, I really didn’t want to be doing this past 60, but here I am :)
Popgun,
..exactly the same here, I am already slowing down, from 7am - 3pm, Tues - Fri, next year = 3 days/week, and not working on the bench any longer...just supervising/helping others for the last 2 yrs..
August 2019 might be my final month, and after this , will visit you by bike in Virginia Beach :P:P:P (was there in 1997 & 2014):thumbsup:

:beerchug:::clap::banana::excited::hello::beerchug:
Popgun,
..exactly the same here, I am already slowing down, from 7am - 3pm, Tues - Fri, next year = 3 days/week, and not working on the bench any longer...just supervising/helping others for the last 2 yrs..
August 2019 might be my final month, and after this , will visit you by bike in Virginia Beach :P:P:P (was there in 1997 & 2014)
58eed8a20a8afd15af19edf5c838ad0c.png


e03e405c64a1ed3dbe1ab3279b1df1e9.png
::clap::banana::excited::hello:
454cd0fa23000048447a957d70b13953.png
Did I hear a meet up in VA beach?!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Micahgerv_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PB,

In my field it seems like most work until we can’t, then retire and die in 6 months. I’d like to avoid that and retire in a few years(and not die in 6 mos). Believe me, I really didn’t want to be doing this past 60, but here I am :)
Popgun,
..exactly the same here, I am already slowing down, from 7am - 3pm, Tues - Fri, next year = 3 days/week, and not working on the bench any longer...just supervising/helping others for the last 2 yrs..
August 2019 might be my final month, and after this , will visit you by bike in Virginia Beach :P:P:P (was there in 1997 & 2014):thumbsup:

:beerchug:::clap::banana::excited::hello::beerchug:
Popgun,
..exactly the same here, I am already slowing down, from 7am - 3pm, Tues - Fri, next year = 3 days/week, and not working on the bench any longer...just supervising/helping others for the last 2 yrs..
August 2019 might be my final month, and after this , will visit you by bike in Virginia Beach :P:P:P (was there in 1997 & 2014)
58eed8a20a8afd15af19edf5c838ad0c.png


e03e405c64a1ed3dbe1ab3279b1df1e9.png
::clap::banana::excited::hello:
454cd0fa23000048447a957d70b13953.png
Did I hear a meet up in VA beach?!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Popgun,
..exactly the same here, I am already slowing down, from 7am - 3pm, Tues - Fri, next year = 3 days/week, and not working on the bench any longer...just supervising/helping others for the last 2 yrs..
August 2019 might be my final month, and after this , will visit you by bike in Virginia Beach :P:P:P (was there in 1997 & 2014)
00c60bff61a191cedee5f0f30e2294a4.png


306ed7b0b3a46563294f86119317dfbd.png
::clap::banana::excited::hello:
6d81e92d350246da6aecf2c7a9624299.png
Did I hear a meet up in VA beach?!

Your ears are perfectly tuned, now let's wait & see what reality brings up ????
Popgun, are you hearing :P
..I already have so many plans and errands before this short trip to VB...:blush:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PB,

In my field it seems like most work until we can’t, then retire and die in 6 months. I’d like to avoid that and retire in a few years(and not die in 6 mos). Believe me, I really didn’t want to be doing this past 60, but here I am :)
That is a concern, as my paternal grandfather retired at age 66, went on a trip, had a massive heart attack and it was all over, circa 1960.

My dad considered his father's demise, retired at age 58 and lived to 91, so there are exceptions...but he also kept busy.

I started drawing Social Security at 67, but did not retire until 70, to help middle daughter with health issues (Lyme Disease).

I figured that I would continue to consult, but employer closed there doors ~3 months after I retired.

Finding activities is VERY important.
 
I’ll start drawing SS next year when I get full draw with no offset due to my job. Then I can use the money to buy beer at the VB meetup!!
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PB,

In my field it seems like most work until we can’t, then retire and die in 6 months. I’d like to avoid that and retire in a few years(and not die in 6 mos). Believe me, I really didn’t want to be doing this past 60, but here I am :)
That is a concern, as my paternal grandfather retired at age 66, went on a trip, had a massive heart attack and it was all over, circa 1960.

My dad considered his father's demise, retired at age 58 and lived to 91, so there are exceptions...but he also kept busy.

I started drawing Social Security at 67, but did not retire until 70, to help middle daughter with health issues (Lyme Disease).

I figured that I would continue to consult, but employer closed there doors ~3 months after I retired.

Finding activities is VERY important.
That is a concern, as my paternal grandfather retired at age 66, went on a trip, had a massive heart attack and it was all over, circa 1960.

My dad considered his father's demise, retired at age 58 and lived to 91, so there are exceptions...but he also kept busy.

I started drawing Social Security at 67, but did not retire until 70, to help middle daughter with health issues (Lyme Disease).

I figured that I would continue to consult, but employer closed there doors ~3 months after I retired.

Finding activities is VERY important.
That is so true
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I’ll start drawing SS next year when I get full draw with no offset due to my job. Then I can use the money to buy beer at the VB meetup!!
.. and if we meet = I'll keep your word for it....easy, my alcohol annual consumption is near zero
:)
 
Thread starter
I'll be here for the next 4 years and down to ride and share a beer at anytime!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top