ABS Conversion

Micahgerv_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Good day all! Just looking for some feedback on if anyone has heard of someone trying to do an ABS conversion for an EX 1100. It is the ONLY thing I do not absolutely love about this bike and would have bought an ABS model if there were any around me. I searched all over, but found nobody talking about this. If there are any posts already about this I apologize in advance. Wondering if it would be a bolt on swap if the right parts could be found. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time riders.
 
It will cost a fortune and a ton of work.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
It will cost a fortune and a ton of work.
Very succinct answer, popgun!

Micahgerv, just for a start,compare the wiring diagrams between ABS and non-ABS. The ABS modulator is a 12 wire device, requiring an additional speed sensor on the front wheel...and that is just the basic electrical aspect.

I had ABS on my 2016 Mto Guzzi V7II and never used it for 7,000 miles.
Flushing the MG system is rather complicated.

ABS might have prevented my first M/C crash in 1963 or I might have been decapitated. Does that help you feel better about not having it?!
 
My personal short answer is no, you will not be successful with ABS installation...just to start with the co$t, not to mention about complex-technical....and I do not remember if any member ever mentioned about it?
.
 
Much cheaper to look for a ABS model from any year than to convert one.
Bleeding the ABS system on the CB 1100 is very easy , especially if you use vacuum bleeder and air compressor and speed bleeders .
 
Just the ABS modulator for a ‘17 is $1400 USD list. Plus the wiring, hoses brackets, tone ring and sensor and all. Plus, maybe a different ECU (don’t really know.

Heck, buy a bike with ABS and be done with it. Cheaper, and you know it will work correctly.
 
I have this recollection that someone on this forum explored this option once before, but I can't seem to find it.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Much cheaper to look for a ABS model from any year than to convert one.
Bleeding the ABS system on the CB 1100 is very easy , especially if you use vacuum bleeder and air compressor and speed bleeders .
I think you mentioned that before. Good to know. Although a valve adjust is super simple and accessible on the V7II, changing the clutch is more than expected on a M/C. Just the nature of the beast.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just the ABS modulator for a ‘17 is $1400 USD list. Plus the wiring, hoses brackets, tone ring and sensor and all. Plus, maybe a different ECU (don’t really know.

Heck, buy a bike with ABS and be done with it. Cheaper, and you know it will work correctly.
Doubt it matters, since that $1,400 plus everything else should scare off 99.9% of us, but the ECM appears to not be involved and both ABS and non-ABS have the same connections (A-1 to A-33 and B-1 to B-33). Modulator is powered from fuse H (not present on non-ABS).

Since I probably came across negative, I thought I would add a positive note!

Popgun, does the service manual have a hydraulic schematic? Don't need it, just curious if available.
 
My shop manual shows simple hydraulics for bleeding only:
* lever brake line p. 14-10
* pedal brake line p. 14-13
Not really hydraulic schematic, as we may think of.
 
Sportsterdoc, The ‘14 manual does have 2 hydraulic schematics for the ‘13 C-ABS. One shows operation when using the handlebar lever and the other when using the foot pedal. Pages 14-10 and 14-13

Nothing on the ‘13 non-abs or ‘14 abs or non-abs. (Diagrams that is)

I don’t have a ‘17 manual. If Honda doesn’t bring a ‘19 model over I’ll get one. If they do I’ll wait some more.
 
There may be inherent liabilities when "building up" an ABS system from scratch should something go drastically wrong. Might be better peace of mind to go with Houtman's suggestion.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Sportsterdoc, The ‘14 manual does have 2 hydraulic schematics for the ‘13 C-ABS. One shows operation when using the handlebar lever and the other when using the foot pedal. Pages 14-10 and 14-13

Nothing on the ‘13 non-abs or ‘14 abs or non-abs. (Diagrams that is)

I don’t have a ‘17 manual. If Honda doesn’t bring a ‘19 model over I’ll get one. If they do I’ll wait some more.
Thank you, Peter and popgun.
If one actually wanted to add ABS, are the hydraulic schematics sufficient detail?
GoldOxide_imp said:
There may be inherent liabilities when "building up" an ABS system from scratch should something go drastically wrong. Might be better peace of mind to go with Houtman's suggestion.
Yes, I definitely would not do it for a client...or even a relative!
 
I reckon there must be a firmware requirement too, unless it is already populated on all CB1100's , but disabled due to absent sensors/controller?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I reckon there must be a firmware requirement too, unless it is already populated on all CB1100's , but disabled due to absent sensors/controller?
I suspect that the module has only one factory set program to pulse / modulate the pressure when the front and rear sensors read different.

The ECM is separate.

On ABS models, front and rear speed sensors connect to the modulator, which feeds speed to the meter.

On non ABS, rear speed sensor feeds directly to the meter (speedo).

Modulator connections are:
ground
battery
speed output to meter
diagnostics to DLC
rear VSP
rear VSP +
front VSP
front VSP +
brake switch input
SCS (serviced check short) to ECM B-19 / DLC
indicator lamp output
ignition power

So, there are no other sensors involved.

Interesting to dig into this.
 
Doc, No. The diagrams are not really enough to do the job. And they are for the ‘13 model operation

This job will require many expensive parts, replacement of the wiring harness, a service manual, some electronic/electrical knowledge and a lot of mechanical skill. Doable but not really feasible.
 
Thanks, popgun.
I'd be more concerned about plumbing than electrical.
Always found it easier to keep the smoke inside the insulation than to keep liquid in a tube/pipe/fitting!
 
Doc, I’ll send you the diagrams, but they are for the ‘13 model. They don’t show every hose connection, but could be used, along with the manual and parts listing to make the connections. At least you can see how the ‘13 C-ABS activates pistons when you apply the brakes.
 
Popgun, thank you, but no need.
I got further into this than expected and no further comment from OP.
I saved all the data you (and Max) sent me, should I have opportunity to help others, but do not plan to go any further on this.

I miss riding, but not as much as I dreaded. Just got back from a week at our Arizona ranch and youngest daughter's family. Been building a pig corral, as 6 local grandkids are all in 4H and will bring home this year's pigs in about 10 days...need to get it complete NLT Saturday and I volunteered for a local event mid-day Saturday...glad I am retired!

I should probably ween myself off this forum, as I did the TW200forum and Wildguzzi forum, especially since there are so very few electrical issues to address.
 
As C-ABS has bigger, a 3-piston front calliper, I wonder if front fork will accommodate different size/mounting...co$t is rising up...
 
peterbaron_imp said:
As C-ABS has bigger, a 3-piston front calliper, I wonder if front fork will accommodate different size/mounting...co$t is rising up...
Think Micahgerv survived our responses?
 
Back
Top