A smaller, lighter, nimble stable mate to the CB?

CB4ME_imp said:
Has anyone purchased a new SR400 yet? They are starting to become available.

Mr.T has lots of accessories for that bike. :)

The thought of 2 retros is pretty appealing. Then again the new CBR300CR would cost a couple grand less than the rather pricy SR.
I used to ride an 80s one of those in Japan and I didn't like it but it had two wheels and got me where I needed to go. I really want to try a newer one though. I don't know if the EFI would make it any smoother, but I can't imagine it being anything but a plus.
Also, I hated that both brakes on that bike were drums, those things were horrid. First ride after a rain, the front brake would grab like crazy until I gave it a few runs around.

Also, my riding skills have improved a lot since I got the CB, so I think I would know how to enjoy the SR a lot better... I don't know if I want to give it a go badly enough to pay 6 grand for it though!

I also wouldn't mind a smaller stablemate for the CB if I had unlimited space and money... but I might be thinking of the CB300F or a Suzuki DRZ400SM or something of that sort.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Has anyone purchased a new SR400 yet? They are starting to become available.

Mr.T has lots of accessories for that bike. :)

The thought of 2 retros is pretty appealing. Then again the new CBR300CR would cost a couple grand less than the rather pricy SR.
I used to ride an 80s one of those in Japan and I didn't like it but it had two wheels and got me where I needed to go. I really want to try a newer one though. I don't know if the EFI would make it any smoother, but I can't imagine it being anything but a plus.
Also, I hated that both brakes on that bike were drums, those things were horrid. First ride after a rain, the front brake would grab like crazy until I gave it a few runs around.

Also, my riding skills have improved a lot since I got the CB, so I think I would know how to enjoy the SR a lot better... I don't know if I want to give it a go badly enough to pay 6 grand for it though!

I also wouldn't mind a smaller stablemate for the CB if I had unlimited space and money... but I might be thinking of the CB300F or a Suzuki DRZ400SM or something of that sort.
I agree the SR400 is overpriced. The more I research smaller bikes (250cc - 400cc), the better the CBR300F looks. Out the door prices look to be around $4800.....and it's a HONDA, a RED Honda! :)
 
Funny comment about the SR400. About 3 weeks ago, I saw one in a parking lot at a restaurant I went to for lunch. I was sitting outside eating with some co-workers when the rider got on to leave... a young guy. I told my friends... watch how he starts it. The right side of the bike was facing us. Well... he kicked it over and when he put it in gear, it died. He did that at least 4 times until a guy who had just got off a Harley yelled over to him... 'lift up the kickstand'. Once he did that... off he went. It must have been one of his first rides... pretty comical. But it was nice to see a 'youngster' on an entry level normal bike.
 
went up and checked this out today... my feet dangle on both sides lol

 
Don't know why reach to the ground should bother ya, Ferret, as much as you ride, you don't stop often enough for it to be much of a problem :D
 
Thread starter
All you need is one good leg to reach the ground, plus that bike is way taller on the center stand and not having any suspension sag.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
All you need is one good leg to reach the ground, plus that bike is way taller on the center stand and not having any suspension sag.
Yea I tried it off the stand too. I think you need to touch 2 toes for balance, loading and unloading passenger and gear, uneven street surfaces, backing up.

I've owned bikes that were too tall before. Don't care for it. My V65 Sabre had a 33 or 34 inch seat height. Even with my wife and I on it, it was scary tall. Dropped it with her on the back turning around in a parking lot. Sold it shortly after.
 
I once had a V-strom 650 that was to tall for me - loved the bike and motor , even two up it was great. But just could not over come the tallnest ( look I just made a new word). Could not find a good leg stretcher to save my life .
 
Thread starter
The more I think about it, the more I want an adventure bike based off the Yamaha FZ07. Something with a very small windscreen and integrated mounts for hard bags. I'm basically describing the Ducati Hyperstrada, but with down to earth reliability, affordability, and maintenance schedules. Maybe I'll do like Ack and and mount some knobbies on a naked standard bike. It would be very Mad Maxx looking.
 
Thread starter
I went and looked at a 2011 KLR650 on Saturday and I am thinking about going back to test ride and see if they'll offer me enough for my supermoto. Allegedly, one of the guys that works at this place wants a 250cc sumo. That may be a tactic to get me back in there with my trade. I was in the biz, so I know how it works. If the deal isn't right, it isn't right. I may just buy it outright if the trade doesn't work out. Hate to have that much clutter...cross that bridge later.

I still feel like I ought to test ride a Versys, but I wanted a KLR before I bought the sumo. I also miss blasting dirt roads, something the Versys is less adept doing. I figure the KLR will hold me over until Yamaha builds me the FZ07 based adventure bike. I went and looked at the FZ07 again and the ergos just don't work. I also don't want to spend $7k on a bike and then wind up throwing another $2k farkling it. The used KLR already has most of the stuff I would do to it, so I'm way ahead. Whatever I buy will be well farkled or cheap enough for me to spend a few bucks setting it up.
 
KLR, in my ever so humble opinion, is too darn heavy for dirt. My XR is about 80lbs lighter, but may be too dirt orientated for most leaving the DR as the better choice.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
KLR, in my ever so humble opinion, is too darn heavy for dirt. My XR is about 80lbs lighter, but may be too dirt orientated for most leaving the DR as the better choice.
I want good wind protection. I've ridden the XR in the dirt and completely agree with you. I'm guessing 10% of my riding will be off road and that would me primarily and and gravel back roads. XR is more dirt oriented than I need or want.

I'm actually still considering the Versys, too. I need to test ride some stuff.
 
My local dealer is running a sale on a leftover 2013 CB500X, Honda's adventure style version of the CBR500R / CBR500F. They're asking $4799 but they might take a check for $5500 out the door. Very tempting.

Honda only offered this bike in 2013 and only in black.

af8d61b23408f9caf48636ed11afa659.jpg
 
For only 10% dirt riding and that being gravel roads, anything without a fat tire, preferably light, and not a belt drive, should be OK. When I first rode there was no such thing as an adventure bike. You had dirt/dual sport bikes - for real dirt, not gravel roads, and street bikes which pretty much meant any prepared road (something that saw a road grader more than once a year).

Then put on decent dual sport tires and go at it. Tires and skill set will mater more than anything else.

I have not had the CB on gravel yet, but I suspect she would do just fine. Just a bit heavy to pick up if it slid out from under you. A buddy and I did some speed riding on some back roads in Northern Minnesota back in the day. He was crazy, bouncing off grapefruit sized rocks - on his KZ900. I was on my KZ550. Well maintained gravel roads; we didn't think twice about it. We didn't know any better! :)
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
My local dealer is running a sale on a leftover 2013 CB500X, Honda's adventure style version of the CBR500R / CBR500F. They're asking $4799 but they might take a check for $5500 out the door. Very tempting.

Honda only offered this bike in 2013 and only in black.

af8d61b23408f9caf48636ed11afa659.jpg
Honda still sells this bike. The 2014 was white with red decals. The 2015 is black again, but with hi-vis yellow decals.

I'd be tempted at that price. My hang up is the money. I'd end up dropping another grand on farkles. I'm looking at some decent used bikes in the $4k range that I'd have to spend less on farkles.

My general plan is to find something cheap for now and see what the future might hold for a Yamaha FZ-07 based adventure bike.
Rboe_imp said:
For only 10% dirt riding and that being gravel roads, anything without a fat tire, preferably light, and not a belt drive, should be OK. When I first rode there was no such thing as an adventure bike. You had dirt/dual sport bikes - for real dirt, not gravel roads, and street bikes which pretty much meant any prepared road (something that saw a road grader more than once a year).

Then put on decent dual sport tires and go at it. Tires and skill set will mater more than anything else.

I have not had the CB on gravel yet, but I suspect she would do just fine. Just a bit heavy to pick up if it slid out from under you. A buddy and I did some speed riding on some back roads in Northern Minnesota back in the day. He was crazy, bouncing off grapefruit sized rocks - on his KZ900. I was on my KZ550. Well maintained gravel roads; we didn't think twice about it. We didn't know any better! :)
CB does surprisingly good on dirt/gravel. As you said, fat tires aren't the best and the skinny rubber on the CB cuts through the loose surface dirt. Lack of suspension travel is the issue, so you just slow down on bumpy stuff.

I grew up on dual sports, too. Bungee a backpack on the back and take off. The BMW GS was the first mainstream adv bike, in the early 80s, but by the end of the decade, The KLR650, Yamaha Tenere, and Honda Transalp came about. North America didn't embrace the latter two and it wasn't until 10 years ago that we started buying big adv bikes in quantity. I'll admit that this trend isn't unlike the transition seen in the auto industry where people went from buying real SUVs to crossover utilities. "Soft Roader" is a term for both crossovers and ADVs.
 
Rboe_imp said:
For only 10% dirt riding and that being gravel roads, anything without a fat tire, preferably light, and not a belt drive, should be OK. When I first rode there was no such thing as an adventure bike. You had dirt/dual sport bikes - for real dirt, not gravel roads, and street bikes which pretty much meant any prepared road (something that saw a road grader more than once a year).

Then put on decent dual sport tires and go at it. Tires and skill set will mater more than anything else.

I have not had the CB on gravel yet, but I suspect she would do just fine. Just a bit heavy to pick up if it slid out from under you. A buddy and I did some speed riding on some back roads in Northern Minnesota back in the day. He was crazy, bouncing off grapefruit sized rocks - on his KZ900. I was on my KZ550. Well maintained gravel roads; we didn't think twice about it. We didn't know any better! :)
Yeah, back then they would take a standard dirt bike and add street legal equipment (lights, horn,etc...) and that was your adventure bike. As I recall, the were mostly referred to as "enduros" (Honda's were XLs and Kawis were KLs, Yammie used XT.).

Nowadays adventure bikes are essentially street bikes with a few features like longer suspension and bumpy tires. The emphasis is heavy on the "street" with a slight nod to off-pavement use. The opposite of the enduros of the 70s and 80s and modern versions like the KLX 250.
 
Back
Top