A smaller, lighter, nimble stable mate to the CB?

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
A month ago, I bought a Kawasaki KLX250SF supermoto because I wanted a bike with a bit different personality and less "pretty" for those days where I might encounter rain or a dirt road...who knows what. My first thought was to get a newer KLR650, but I've long wanted a supermoto. For that, I would have preferred a DRZ400, but my cheapness and impatience won over when I found a good deal on the Kawi.

I've rejetted it and added a slip on exhaust. It runs much better, but is loud. You have to spool it up to run on the highway, it's fuel tank requires frequent fills, and it's really only fun on tight twisties and back roads. The 400 would be a little better at speed, but I don't think it's going to be what I want in a smaller bike. There are 3, maybe 4 bikes I am thinking about. Part of me wants something with a little bit of hooligan with some bit of comfort for a day ride and able to take on some soft luggage or a top case.

My least favorite may actually make the most sense. The Versys has an upright position and longer travel suspension so it may feel most like a motard. They are cheap and abundant on the used market and have a lot of aftermarket support. I've heard they are quite buzzy, so not sure how bad it is. I need to test ride one.

The other Kawi is the KLR650. I grew up on dirt bikes and dual sports, so throwing one of these around feels natural. They are heavy, but I've owned one and know what to expect. Decent wind protection and luggage capacity are plusses, but I have never been enamored with the way the KLR makes power or how it sounds. It just isn't getting me fired up.

The Honda CB500X is an odd duck in that I really like the way I fit on the bike and feel like it punches above it's weight for it's engine size, but I just don't get excited. It's my favorite on paper, but it seems to be missing that special feel.

Last, is the Yamaha FZ07. I haven't ridden one, but it's supposed to have a great engine. It's the smallest, lightest, and most powerful. On paper, it screams hooligan. When I sit on it, it feels a little cramped. It's the one I want to like the most, but am afraid I won't agree with the ergos. Like with the Versys, a test ride appears to be in order.
 
Since the Versys is on your list you might wish to try a V-strom. Smoother than the Versys on the highway and a really fine stock seat. Plenty of leg room and pretty decent off road ability with the right tires. Like the Versys, lots of them on the used market at bargain prices. Whitehorse Gear has a section of their catalog dedicated to making your V-strom your own.
 
My good friend Jim has owned 3 Versys (every time he sells one he misses it and buys another) and says they are his favorite bike. Fits them all with lowering kits, and Givi luggage, different windshield and heated grips. I rode one of them but really can't tell you much about it, other than it was tall and I had no issues with it. My son also rode one of his and came back complaining about vibration.

My nephew had a 650 V strom. I rode it too and it was tall, torquey and handled well.

I don't think of either of them as " hooligan" bikes, both weigh too much and neither had enough horsepower for that, but of the two, the V strom was closer. They are more like small sport tourers, which is what Jim used his as.

Test rides if you can get them are always a good idea.
 
Thread starter
My last bike was a 650 V-strom. It feels larger than it is due to the large fairing and tank shrouds. This is why I am not that big on the Versys because it seems most similar to the Strom of the bikes I listed.

If I could have the power and weight of the FZ07 and the ergos of the CB500X, it'd be what I'd buy. The Versys seems to provide the desired ergos with almost all of the power of the FZ, though a bit heavier than both the FZ and CB. I have read it is a sportier chassis than the Strom and feels a bit lighter than the actual weight difference suggests.

I have been steadily moving to less touring oriented bikes since my FJR1300. I traded it in for the V-strom because I wanted less weight and be able to ride some dirt roads. My CB1100 was a bit of a diversion from my intended direction. I always admired the CB and lusted after them, but was set to find an FZ09. I was surprised how much I liked riding the CB and bought it. With it in my stable, I think I went too far in the small and light direction with the KLX. I want to move somewhere between the 250 and 1100 without going back to such a large bike as the V-strom if that all makes sense.
 
Yes makes a lot of sense. The term "power corrupts" I think is true. Once you ride a bike with a certain power level, it's really hard to go back. I am truly a liter bike junkie. Every time I get on a bike smaller than 1000 cc, I think there is no way I could live with that on a day to day basis. I rode my other nephews NC 700 out in Nevada, in August. Two up, thru Monitor and Ebbets passes in the Sierra Nevadas. Nice bike..a little tall for me. Just needed about 30 more horsepower to make me happy.

Then again I ride our 400 Majesty around and I think this is all the power I need. guess I'm a non decider as well. It's all so confusing lol.
 
Has anyone purchased a new SR400 yet? They are starting to become available.

Mr.T has lots of accessories for that bike. :)

The thought of 2 retros is pretty appealing. Then again the new CBR300CR would cost a couple grand less than the rather pricy SR.
 
Which V-Strom did you have, oh undecided one? They come in litre or 650-ish capacities here as I recall.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Which V-Strom did you have, oh undecided one? They come in litre or 650-ish capacities here as I recall.
I had the 650. I had planned on buying the 1000 version before I ended up with the FJR, but I got such a good deal on the FJR, the idea of owning a V-strom went away for a couple years. By the time I came back around to getting a V-strom, I was set on the 650 because I felt it would be noticeably lighter and nimble than the 1000. The smaller motor is also happier to rev than it's torquey big brother. That 90 degree 650 is a nice motor to wring out. I liked to think of it as a poor man's Multistrada.

I can't say anything bad about it and sometimes I miss it. I would prefer I still had it over having to pay for another motorcycle. A better measure of a person's material wealth is not what they can buy, but what they already have. I might one day learn to live by this instead of getting rid of something perfectly good for the latest and greatest.
 
Un..here's a video review of the FJ09. Guy uses some blue language so be prepared

 
The CBR250R has been filling 'smaller', lighter' and 'nimble' duty for me quite nicely. When I first rode it off of the dealer's lot, the 'lack' of power and torque made me wonder if I'd made a big mistake. Readjusting expectations I've come to like it for what it is. It's like a modern version of my first bike, a 73 CB350. It probably weighs about the same and makes about the same amount of 'power', but unlike the CB350, it has brakes, handling and more importantly a counterbalancer.
 
I had a 2010 650 vstrom for a year. Popular bike but seemed top heavy and gutless to me. The newer ones look more trim and may be better.
 
Smaller, lighter, nimble stablemate? There's only one that I'd definitely pull the trigger on, but Honda just won't cooperate.

2014 CB400 Super Four
022d6064c7018315bdec1cb32531e440.jpg


2014 CB400 Bol D'Or
a4286ce6e889872e86dd5171e0c46e2e.jpg


It generates 52 hp at the crank and weighs 100 lbs. less than the CB1100. That power/weight ratio should make it a quick and nimble ride.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yes makes a lot of sense. The term "power corrupts" I think is true. Once you ride a bike with a certain power level, it's really hard to go back. I am truly a liter bike junkie. Every time I get on a bike smaller than 1000 cc, I think there is no way I could live with that on a day to day basis. I rode my other nephews NC 700 out in Nevada, in August. Two up, thru Monitor and Ebbets passes in the Sierra Nevadas. Nice bike..a little tall for me. Just needed about 30 more horsepower to make me happy.

Then again I ride our 400 Majesty around and I think this is all the power I need. guess I'm a non decider as well. It's all so confusing lol.

the_undecider_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Which V-Strom did you have, oh undecided one? They come in litre or 650-ish capacities here as I recall.
I had the 650. I had planned on buying the 1000 version before I ended up with the FJR, but I got such a good deal on the FJR, the idea of owning a V-strom went away for a couple years. By the time I came back around to getting a V-strom, I was set on the 650 because I felt it would be noticeably lighter and nimble than the 1000. The smaller motor is also happier to rev than it's torquey big brother. That 90 degree 650 is a nice motor to wring out. I liked to think of it as a poor man's Multistrada.

I can't say anything bad about it and sometimes I miss it. I would prefer I still had it over having to pay for another motorcycle. A better measure of a person's material wealth is not what they can buy, but what they already have. I might one day learn to live by this instead of getting rid of something perfectly good for the latest and greatest.
Statements of truth, gentlemen, and well put.

TU, isn't your solution to buy another VStrom?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yes makes a lot of sense. The term "power corrupts" I think is true. Once you ride a bike with a certain power level, it's really hard to go back. I am truly a liter bike junkie. Every time I get on a bike smaller than 1000 cc, I think there is no way I could live with that on a day to day basis. I rode my other nephews NC 700 out in Nevada, in August. Two up, thru Monitor and Ebbets passes in the Sierra Nevadas. Nice bike..a little tall for me. Just needed about 30 more horsepower to make me happy.

Then again I ride our 400 Majesty around and I think this is all the power I need. guess I'm a non decider as well. It's all so confusing lol.

the_undecider_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Which V-Strom did you have, oh undecided one? They come in litre or 650-ish capacities here as I recall.
I had the 650. I had planned on buying the 1000 version before I ended up with the FJR, but I got such a good deal on the FJR, the idea of owning a V-strom went away for a couple years. By the time I came back around to getting a V-strom, I was set on the 650 because I felt it would be noticeably lighter and nimble than the 1000. The smaller motor is also happier to rev than it's torquey big brother. That 90 degree 650 is a nice motor to wring out. I liked to think of it as a poor man's Multistrada.

I can't say anything bad about it and sometimes I miss it. I would prefer I still had it over having to pay for another motorcycle. A better measure of a person's material wealth is not what they can buy, but what they already have. I might one day learn to live by this instead of getting rid of something perfectly good for the latest and greatest.
Statements of truth, gentlemen, and well put.

TU, isn't your solution to buy another VStrom?

the_undecider_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Which V-Strom did you have, oh undecided one? They come in litre or 650-ish capacities here as I recall.
I had the 650. I had planned on buying the 1000 version before I ended up with the FJR, but I got such a good deal on the FJR, the idea of owning a V-strom went away for a couple years. By the time I came back around to getting a V-strom, I was set on the 650 because I felt it would be noticeably lighter and nimble than the 1000. The smaller motor is also happier to rev than it's torquey big brother. That 90 degree 650 is a nice motor to wring out. I liked to think of it as a poor man's Multistrada.

I can't say anything bad about it and sometimes I miss it. I would prefer I still had it over having to pay for another motorcycle. A better measure of a person's material wealth is not what they can buy, but what they already have. I might one day learn to live by this instead of getting rid of something perfectly good for the latest and greatest.
Statements of truth, gentlemen, and well put.

TU, isn't your solution to buy another VStrom?
Now that I don't have it, I'd prefer something lighter. I had gotten bored with it, but I realize I would be financially better off had I kept it.

This mirrors my recent car buying habits. I bought 8 different vehicles since March 2010. I want to stick to just one car, but it hasn't worked out that way. It really does bother me, but I try to make light of it when I can. My username is a reflection on this.
 
If I had the cash, I'd have a Ducati Scrambler. 414lbs, ample ground clearance, 70hp, and the Ducati reliability!! Oh wait...
 
the_undecider_imp said:
If I was going to have one bike, get rid of the CB, the FJ09 would be at the top of my list.
Seems like many reviews like the 07 engine more than the 09. If "lighter & nimble" were the objective, I would look hard at the smaller brother.
 
I just got a call from my dealer, looks like 2 FJ09s hit the shop today and will be set up and on the floor tomorrow. Going for a looksee.

the 07 is a twin isn't it?
 
Thread starter
DGShannon_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
If I was going to have one bike, get rid of the CB, the FJ09 would be at the top of my list.
Seems like many reviews like the 07 engine more than the 09. If "lighter & nimble" were the objective, I would look hard at the smaller brother.
Seems like many reviews like the 07 engine more than the 09. If "lighter & nimble" were the objective, I would look hard at the smaller brother.
If I owned just one bike, I think the extra leg room, wind protection, and luggage capacity of the FJ would be appreciated. That triple is pretty sweet. Most of the complaints have been on the fuel injection mapping on the FZ. This has been fixed on the FJ and rumored to have been fixed on the 2015 FZ. I rode a 2014 FZ and can tell you the way that triple howls at full song is intoxicating. I also found the suspension too soft and under damped for my weight. I actually prefer the ergos of the 09 over the 07.

For a second bike, the 07 makes more sense to me than the 09. With a louder exhaust, it's 270° twin sounds like a Ducati or SV650. This bike gets me more excited than any of the others on my short list. If I can make it fit better with some adjustments to the foot pegs and handlebars, I think it can work.

FZ-07 Akropovic Exhaust Clip:
 
Back
Top