A smaller, lighter, nimble stable mate to the CB?

Endures moved to Dual Sport (I have the dual sport 650L); I wonder if better roads contributed to that?

Now we have these big SUV type Adventure bikes. Meh. But, they do make darn good touring bikes; ignoring the "dirt" aspect of them. :)
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Endures moved to Dual Sport (I have the dual sport 650L); I wonder if better roads contributed to that?

Now we have these big SUV type Adventure bikes. Meh. But, they do make darn good touring bikes; ignoring the "dirt" aspect of them. :)
That's exactly why I sold my V-strom 650. It had gotten "meh" on me. It made a great touring bike because it was big and comfy, but I wanted a smaller, lighter bike. I ended up with a heavier bike with the CB, and now I still want a smaller, lighter bike. Go figure!

Settling on what I want that bike to be able to do has been difficult. As my username suggest, decisions aren't my strong suit.
 
I took a very very short ride on a 650 V strom,, big was not a word I'd use, I thought it was a small Quota (Moto Guzzi I had earlier). The Quota was a big bike. :)
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I took a very very short ride on a 650 V strom,, big was not a word I'd use, I thought it was a small Quota (Moto Guzzi I had earlier). The Quota was a big bike. :)
Bulky tank plastics and tall riding position make it feel bigger than it is. I ran either a 46L top case or big side cases which didn't help it feel more compact. They're actually not terribly heavy for what they are. It just doesn't feel racy.
 
I think a dressed 650 Wee Strom seems like a very big bike for the reasons you mentioned, just like the new Honda Valkrie seems like a cargo ship compared to the original one, like a B King seems so much larger than a Hyabusa. Not necessarily large bikes but the plastic around them make them seem so when you are sitting on them. My buddys Versys with the Givi Saddlebags and trunk was the same way, just all out of proportion to their motor size would suggest.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
I went and looked at a 2011 KLR650 on Saturday and I am thinking about going back to test ride and see if they'll offer me enough for my supermoto. Allegedly, one of the guys that works at this place wants a 250cc sumo. That may be a tactic to get me back in there with my trade. I was in the biz, so I know how it works. If the deal isn't right, it isn't right. I may just buy it outright if the trade doesn't work out. Hate to have that much clutter...cross that bridge later.

I still feel like I ought to test ride a Versys, but I wanted a KLR before I bought the sumo. I also miss blasting dirt roads, something the Versys is less adept doing. I figure the KLR will hold me over until Yamaha builds me the FZ07 based adventure bike. I went and looked at the FZ07 again and the ergos just don't work. I also don't want to spend $7k on a bike and then wind up throwing another $2k farkling it. The used KLR already has most of the stuff I would do to it, so I'm way ahead. Whatever I buy will be well farkled or cheap enough for me to spend a few bucks setting it up.
As a KLR owner, I might have to agree with Rboe if you're planning on doing any real dirt riding, unless it's mainly forest roads or just plain dirt roads. The bike is heavy...around 430 lbs. I'm kind of sorry when I bought mine that I didn't seriously consider a Suzuki DRZ400-S. It weighs about 300 lbs...quite a bit lighter. However, you probably wouldn't want to ride that bike any distance on the highway either where you could do an Ironbutt ride on the KLR.
 
Thread starter
ride4now_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
I went and looked at a 2011 KLR650 on Saturday and I am thinking about going back to test ride and see if they'll offer me enough for my supermoto. Allegedly, one of the guys that works at this place wants a 250cc sumo. That may be a tactic to get me back in there with my trade. I was in the biz, so I know how it works. If the deal isn't right, it isn't right. I may just buy it outright if the trade doesn't work out. Hate to have that much clutter...cross that bridge later.

I still feel like I ought to test ride a Versys, but I wanted a KLR before I bought the sumo. I also miss blasting dirt roads, something the Versys is less adept doing. I figure the KLR will hold me over until Yamaha builds me the FZ07 based adventure bike. I went and looked at the FZ07 again and the ergos just don't work. I also don't want to spend $7k on a bike and then wind up throwing another $2k farkling it. The used KLR already has most of the stuff I would do to it, so I'm way ahead. Whatever I buy will be well farkled or cheap enough for me to spend a few bucks setting it up.
As a KLR owner, I might have to agree with Rboe if you're planning on doing any real dirt riding, unless it's mainly forest roads or just plain dirt roads. The bike is heavy...around 430 lbs. I'm kind of sorry when I bought mine that I didn't seriously consider a Suzuki DRZ400-S. It weighs about 300 lbs...quite a bit lighter. However, you probably wouldn't want to ride that bike any distance on the highway either where you could do an Ironbutt ride on the KLR.
As a KLR owner, I might have to agree with Rboe if you're planning on doing any real dirt riding, unless it's mainly forest roads or just plain dirt roads. The bike is heavy...around 430 lbs. I'm kind of sorry when I bought mine that I didn't seriously consider a Suzuki DRZ400-S. It weighs about 300 lbs...quite a bit lighter. However, you probably wouldn't want to ride that bike any distance on the highway either where you could do an Ironbutt ride on the KLR.
Just dirt roads for me. I've done some pretty knarly stuff on my 91 KLR including a bunch of 4x4 roads in SW Colorado. The worst was Black Bear Pass descending into Telluride. Here's a clip of someone on a 250 going down the "steps" which is the most technical part:


I went down with with the with engine off and in gear so I could use the clutch to modulate rear speed without needing to use my right foot. The aluminum skid plate earned it's keep that day. Below the steps are a series of tight switchbacks, though no trouble for a motorcycle. Problem was,my group got stuck behind a massive group of 4x4 and they all had to make 3 point turns to get around the bend. A thunderstorm had rolled in, so I was not particularly happy as a sitting duck while lightning blasted the side of the mountain.

I think the Versys would work nearly as well for the occasional dirt road, especially with the right tires. I've seen some decent looking Versyses for not much money.

The 2011 KLR I was looking at sold later that day I found out, rather they took a deposit. I am not holding my breath it'll fall through, and I will have more time to look around and figure out what I want and get a good deal.
 
Ducati Scrambler. Light weight, low seat height, dual purpose tires and a strong proven motor. Checks all the boxes.
I don't think of the wee-strom as a large bike. My wife's Strom feels small and light to me, especially compared to my CB1100. And I'm a small guy with a 28" inseam.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Ducati Scrambler. Light weight, low seat height, dual purpose tires and a strong proven motor. Checks all the boxes.
I don't think of the wee-strom as a large bike. My wife's Strom feels small and light to me, especially compared to my CB1100. And I'm a small guy with a 28" inseam.
Have to say that I was surprised, and impressed, by the off-road capability reflected here...

 
Thread starter
The scrambler looks fun and it does check off a lot of boxes. Sometimes, I look at a bike and I just don't like it as much as I should. It even goes as far as me having a high level of admiration for the bike, yet no desire to actually own one. This can me said of most Ducati models save for the Diavel (not a cruiser guy) or super sports (not a sport bike guy). Every Ducati I have ridden (all of 2 times) has put a smile on my face. They sound and feel amazing. I am also fearful of their reliability (probably mostly unfounded) and maintenance costs (pretty well justified when I generally do my own work on simpler machines). I think they are a little too "exotic" for my taste.

I think I have come to the realization that a lightweight, compact, reasonably powerful, all road (dirt) capable motorcycle with luggage cases and good wind protection doesn't really exist. Actually, I knew that, but finding mix of two bikes to cover that spectrum has led me to the conclusion that my CB doesn't exactly fit in where I would like. Whatever I decide, it will be a compromise in some way. My choices of what I might do are:

1.) Buy a big ADV bike like a Super Tenere or V Strom 1000. They are big and heavy, but fulfill the comfort and power desire. The CB becomes my "small" bike. Other than being a little portly for it's size, the CB feels compact and the way I have it setup feels pretty sporty.

2.) KLR650 - not a lot of power, but will go anywhere I care to ride. Big dual sports are my kind of cruiser due to their comfort and lumpy engine character. KLR would be my sloppy weather bike and not require constant detailing. I miss that aspect of riding.

3.) Sell the CB to be able to afford a Middleweight sport tourer like the new FJ09 or a used Triumph Tiger 1050. Then, find a used DRZ400, DR650, XR650L.

See, this is why I am the_undecider!
 
the_undecider_imp said:
The scrambler looks fun and it does check off a lot of boxes. Sometimes, I look at a bike and I just don't like it as much as I should. It even goes as far as me having a high level of admiration for the bike, yet no desire to actually own one. This can me said of most Ducati models save for the Diavel (not a cruiser guy) or super sports (not a sport bike guy). Every Ducati I have ridden (all of 2 times) has put a smile on my face. They sound and feel amazing. I am also fearful of their reliability (probably mostly unfounded) and maintenance costs (pretty well justified when I generally do my own work on simpler machines). I think they are a little too "exotic" for my taste.

I think I have come to the realization that a lightweight, compact, reasonably powerful, all road (dirt) capable motorcycle with luggage cases and good wind protection doesn't really exist. Actually, I knew that, but finding mix of two bikes to cover that spectrum has led me to the conclusion that my CB doesn't exactly fit in where I would like. Whatever I decide, it will be a compromise in some way. My choices of what I might do are:

1.) Buy a big ADV bike like a Super Tenere or V Strom 1000. They are big and heavy, but fulfill the comfort and power desire. The CB becomes my "small" bike. Other than being a little portly for it's size, the CB feels compact and the way I have it setup feels pretty sporty.

2.) KLR650 - not a lot of power, but will go anywhere I care to ride. Big dual sports are my kind of cruiser due to their comfort and lumpy engine character. KLR would be my sloppy weather bike and not require constant detailing. I miss that aspect of riding.

3.) Sell the CB to be able to afford a Middleweight sport tourer like the new FJ09 or a used Triumph Tiger 1050. Then, find a used DRZ400, DR650, XR650L.

See, this is why I am the_undecider!
As a former owner of a Tiger 1050 I can attest that it is a superb machine with excellent handling and brakes that also makes a decent sport tourer. Be aware however, that early models (2007 thru early 2008) often had serious problems with oil consumption and cracked pistons. I was fortunate that my 2007 was mostly trouble free for the 5+ years I owned it. Battery maintenance is especially important on the Tiger as a low battery can lead to sprag clutch damage and costly repairs. If you get a later model (2009 on) you are unlikely to have any serious issues as long as the bike is properly serviced. Also be aware that the Tiger is not an ADV bike and is out of it's element on anything other than well maintained dirt roads. The Tiger triple has a gem of a motor with great torque from idle to red line and an intoxicating exhaust snarl common to most three cyl bikes.

5e326bd0d4a8cd8d9c522afee1a07c36.jpg


b5e90fd11d748f4cf9c3ead05bf3d139.jpg
 
With so many good bikes being made today, there should many that would put a smile on your face and be easy to live with.

After seeing the video, kinda makes we wonder if that would be a good addition to the fleet. I suspect though, that with my long inseam it would simply be a poor fit. And too heavy for my skill set.
 
Rboe, I sat on the Ducati Scrambler at the bike show. I have a 34" inseam and it wasn't small to me. It also felt very light, very controllable, reminded me of my recent '78 CB400 twin.
 
Thread starter
Well, I decided...to get another V Strom 650! It's a 2013 with 7500 miles.

It's comfortable, smooth, provides good wind protection, and it'll handle any road. I decided I valued this more than light and extremely nimble. It's no heavier than the Versys. This is the newest redesign with standard ABS. This one has some farkles done including Givi top case, adjustable Givi windscreen, center stand, fork brace, and Ram mount on the dash.

I pick it up Tuesday and drop off the supermoto to consign it.

 
So you decided... good for you. Congrats man, the 650 Stroms are great little bikes.
 
Good luck. Glad you figured it.
 
Back
Top