A LONG post

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Okay, after reading the thread on skinny posts, I've elected to do my part by creating what is without argument a very long (fat?) post. And yes, I realize that the skinny post thread has more to do more with the declining amount of posts on the forum lately rather than the size of the actual posts. But that doesn't really help set up my rambling that is to follow nearly as well...

Regarding the level of activity here on the forum: there tends to be a natural ebb and flow to the participation around here that is aligned with the coming and going of the seasons. Traditionally things tend to get a bit slower around this place in the off-season (late fall/winter time) here in the States. Maybe there has been more of a drop off in participation thus far this off-season than in years past, maybe not. Some guys tuck their bikes away for the winter and don't spend as much time talking about them with others. More than likely when warmer spring weather arrives things will pick up around here. Some people, myself included, just go through periods where we just aren't feeling as "engaged" with the subject matter regardless of the season.

The height of my excitement for the CB1100 came in 2013 (although the anticipation I experienced back in 2012 might rate a close second). Back then when I took delivery of my CB I wrote something to the effect that I had never been so excited by any other purchase in my life and I meant it. In fact I was so excited that I literally almost became ill that day while at the dealer. Not even buying our first house could match that experience. I still consider my CB1100 to be incredibly gorgeous and for me it remains one of the most desirable bikes available. Honda's vision for the bike hasn't exactly been in sync with my own as the bike's appeal to me has declined with each subsequent version released since 2013. But hey, I can live with it and besides, this is actually a good thing as I don't need to be trading out bikes every couple of years, lol. I still get a kick out of reading about new guys entering the fold for whom previous versions of the bike didn't manage to turn their crank. More than anything I'm glad that Honda did not choose to kill this bike off as many of us had feared in the past. Sure that day will come at some point, but I'm really happy to know that it will occur at some point in the future rather than at some point in the past.

I know that the ownership experience for the majority of people who actually bought a CB1100 is mostly satisfying and impressively trouble-free. But just so you guys who have had issues with your CBs don't feel alone, after reading the ferret's post about how little there is to complain about when it comes to these bikes, I made a checklist in an effort to do my part to perhaps spur on some further off-season conversation, lol

Issues with Guth's CB1100
- Engine paint flaking: check
- Rust issues: check*
- Weird high/low idle issue: check
- Excessive engine noise upon warmup: check
- Engine surging while riding at constant low RPMs: check

The engine paint flaking has been very minor but there are a few spots on the cooling fins where the paint is missing and I'm assuming it's flaking as these spots are not located on the front of the engine where there might have been impact from flying debris. Still, this doesn't really stand out all that much and the only time I tend to notice it is when I'm up close while cleaning the bike.

*The rust issue turned out to be my own paranoia after reading about others' experiences here on the forum (I'm sure there is some sort of catchy phrase for this sort of behavioral disorder). I had found what appeared to be some rust on one of the fork tubes just below the bottom triple clamp. I later came to realize that it must have just been the way some grime in that area looked thanks to the lighting in my garage as I continued to check for this repeatedly and never found any other signs of rust/corrosion. Hey, cut me some slack on this one as I've experienced more than my fair share of other issues.

The weird high/low idle issue was rather short-lived in the case of my CB1100. It's been long enough ago now that I'm having a hard time recalling how long I had to deal with it, but I doubt that it was much more than a few months. In my case the problem was very intermittent and then it seemingly disappeared just as it had arrived — very unexpectedly. Still, it did tend to freak me out quite a bit when it would occur.

The excessive engine noise is apparently related to the balancing gears in the transmission (according to my past notes, whatever the heck that means). It is a rather loud rattling that occurs a few minutes into the engine warmup while the bike is idling. After a few more minutes the noise disappears. If I were to ride off into traffic and not come to an idle again for more than 10 minutes or so I'd never even know this was happening. I can reduce this noise with the backlash adjustment, but to eliminate it completely would require so much compensation it would result in excessive gear whine, which strikes me as even more problematic — pick your poison. When I researched this issue I discovered that a number of people on a forum dedicated to the Honda Blackbird were reporting very similar issues with the engine used in that bike. None of them had reported anything more notable than their displeasure with the noise even after racking up a considerable number of miles.

The engine surging really bothered me as it had a direct impact on the actual riding experience. This would occur while riding around town on surface streets where speed limits are in the 20/25/30 mph range. I resolved this issue by installing an O2 sensor eliminator. Fueling has been smooth as can be ever since.

I'll admit that it is more than a bit ironic that the guy who founded a forum dedicated to this bike would end up experiencing so many issues with the CB1100 that he calls his own. But in reality these things haven't really impacted the enjoyment that I've gotten out of this machine all that much. Most all of these issues occurred after my warranty had expired so I've never had a dealer take a look at any of this stuff. The thing that bothers me the most is the rattling noise that occurs during warmup. At this point I'm not all that worried about. Especially considering the fact that it's probably been almost six months now since I last rode the CB.

While I haven't been out on the CB, it's not because I've been unhappy with the bike. It's more that my heart just hasn't been in it when it comes to riding motorcycles. For now I'm pretty much swept up in the sports car thing. But like I said earlier, I still consider the CB1100 to be a very desirable machine. And while there is nothing else like riding a motorcycle from my standpoint when it comes to the actual "riding" part, if your heart's not in it (even if it is only temporary) you're much better off just leaving the bike parked in the garage than you are being out on the bike with your head in the clouds.

So to try and bring this to a close, I can say that for me it's a lot less fun talking about motorcycles when you're not spending some time actually riding the things. I'm guessing that it's no different for a lot of guys. Not everyone will ride year 'round like the ferret (the heck with winter, lol). And most here don't live on the other side of the globe in places like Australia where I believe it is currently summertime. But thank goodness some do so that there are new tales of riding adventures (or challenges associated with riding) to be shared. Hopping on a forum to chat about motorcycles when you aren't riding (or more to the point when you actually can't ride because there is a thick layer of snow on the ground, or perhaps your garage door is frozen shut) can be sort of depressing for some folks. More than likely, once the temperatures begin to increase so will the participation around here. For those of you in the colder regions, hang in there until warmer weather arrives. Cheers guys!
 
Phew, that was a long one :D :D

I have had zero problems with my CB and love it more every year.
That said, next summer I will have owned it four years and I'll admit that some of the "thrill" has worn off and it has become, to some extent, just another one of the fleet.

After I bought my Triumph Bonneville I joined a Triumph forum and like most new owners, was over the moon about my new purchase.
I still belong to that forum, but as the years passed we had solved all problems and talked the bike to death resulting in less participation on the forum.

I think some of that is happening here now. There reaches point when you run out of topics to talk about except when new owners join and motivate the members into helping with any questions.

I see the forum slowing to some extent, but I think it will be around for quite a while. I would be very disappointed if it closes because I feel a kinship with many members and consider them friends.
 
I share your concern over the engine noise, although it sounds like it may not have any effects.

I love anything with an engine, and share your passion for sports cars & bikes. For me; I like to share time between them. My friends will tell you I enjoy “wrench’n“ more than riding. There’s some truth to that, but a good ride by myself or with friends can’t be beat.
 
Razor_imp said:
I share your concern over the engine noise, although it sounds like it may not have any effects.

I love anything with an engine, and share your passion for sports cars & bikes. For me; I like to share time between them. My friends will tell you I enjoy “wrench’n“ more than riding. There’s some truth to that, but a good ride by myself or with friends can’t be beat.
The house next door to me is for sale...hey neighbor! Sure is a nice garage ya got there!
 
As a younger buyer (32), I have a different perspective as I did not grow up riding CBs and did not have prior experience with Honda bikes.

I spent several years riding a traditional sportbike (Ninja 636) and while I enjoyed the bike, I quickly got tired of how pointed and peaky the bike's character was. The only time I could really wring the bike out was on the track (a 4 hour, 200 mile, yearly sojourn), or out in the backroads of central FL, which don't offer much.

When I began looking for bikes towards the end of 2015, I found myself attracted to rides that hearkened back to a time when motorcycles looked and felt simple.

Plenty of options exist for a comfy, powerful ride, but not many combine the power, comfort, style, reliability, and price that the CB1100 offers. The XSR900 came close, but didn't feel as authentic. The R9T was in the running, but ultimately was too expensive (I wanted to spend double what I sold the 636 for, which ended up being ~$7K). Triumph bikes didn't have enough power, and some of the sporty standards looked like Transformers.

When I saw the CB1100, I was drawn to it. And I still am. I've added a few items (passenger backrest and rack, engine guards, small windscreen) and really like the ride I've put together. I flirted hard with selling the bike a few times, even going so far as to listing it online, but I never pulled the trigger.

And I'm glad I haven't. Every time I look at my bike, it breathes the essence of what riding is to me. The aural sensation of the road. The torquey nature of the engine. The rumble of the oh-so-out-of-place Two Brothers exhaust (came with it). It has it's faults (high idle fixed under extended warranty), it is a sled around the track (obviously), but for the vast majority of miles, it encapsulates the spark of why I ride. To me, the CB1100 is pure motorcycle.
 
It is not unusual for any Forum, except maybe snowmobiles and indoor model railroads, to slow during the winter.

After a few years of absorbing and exchanging information, long time members will also skip over threads with information they are already aware of or have no interest in. Like the never ending discussion of oil or loud mufflers.
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
Dang! A 3am post!! Now that's dedication to the forum : )
Says the guy responding at 4:30am, lol.

Rocky touches on an additional valid point. Some natural decline is expected, especially in the case of a forum for a bike like the CB1100 which has sold in very low volumes. The key to any small forum is the core group of folks that develop a sense of community which we are fortunate to have. This core group might see some personalities come and go over time so it might grow or shrink some but I think that this core group activity will remain intact for a long time. Now if Honda were to decide to release the RS version over here in the States then I'd imagine we would see yet another uptick in membership and forum activity.

I tend to stick to the viewpoint that prefers quality over quantity. A lot of forums go through "down periods", like I said there is an ebb and flow involved. But many forums wind up with their core group chatting in an "off topic" area, no longer focused on the core subject that drew them there in the first place. That was never my thing at all. While there might not always be a lot to talk about, I think the fact that we still have a strong core group that wants to show up and talk about motorcycles and motorcycling on a regular basis speaks volumes about the type of personality that is attracted to the CB1100. It is one of the things that really sets this place apart from so many other forums.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
It is not unusual for any Forum, except maybe snowmobiles and indoor model railroads, to slow during the winter.

After a few years of absorbing and exchanging information, long time members will also skip over threads with information they are already aware of or have no interest in. Like the never ending discussion of oil or loud mufflers.
Good point. I tend to skip over subjects and long threads that don't interest me or I know what they're about.

Guth also makes some good points about the core group. These are the members I have come to know and feel like they are friends even though they are a million miles away and we'll never meet.
I enjoy their participation, great humor, ride reports, etc. That's why I check in every day - and several times a day when I'm home.
 
I'm relatively new here and have very little experience in forums (I belong to only one other not motorsports related but I only use it as a buy and sell, I don't get involved in any discussions) but the zero drama is what keeps me here.

Like Goth, I have no interest in logging on to motorcycle forum and read endless political rants, I am here for the motorcycle talk that swirls (sometimes a little wider than others but always coming back) around the CB1100 and the common attributes that we share in both our riding characteristics and choice of bikes.

I have nothing to add about the "ebb and flow" of the forum but I do know if you guys all turned into a bunch of jerks and turned this place into a giant d**k measuring fest I would be so out of here. Luckily I don't foresee that happening.

Unless we all get Alzheimer at the same time. Then all bets are off.
 
I like the CB talk, other bikes compared to and how politics and economics affects bikes or even the life of us in the forum. As long as things are IMHO opinions, I don't worry. We're burning a lot of fuel, which thankfully politics and economics have shifted to the USA being the number one supplier in the world, which then helps the CB and other big bikes and air cooled bikes in general. - Guth I also get being into the car for the time being. As I get older, out of sight, out of mind. I catch myself saying, "Wow, I have not thought about so and so or such and such in a while." The brain is selective. If we worked on farms we'd all be caught up in how it's running day to day. Luckily Ferret gets to ride all the time. I hope my body holds together that long.
 
I have recently sold my CB1100, a decision that tortured me for a while - the main reason being no 6th gear/smallish fuel tank capacity. We never got any models imported after the '13, so no 6 speeds available downunder.
I replaced the CB with another naked bike I have always lusted after, a GSX1400 which I believe you never got in the States? It's a great bike and does everything well and seems to have a bit more 'character' than my Honda did, but darn I loved how smooth and refined my CB was. Every single time I got on it, it put a smile on my face and was just pure pleasure to ride - until I got to the 110km/h mark, then I searched for that elusive 6th gear because it became 'buzzy'. If Honda every brings the CB back in to Australia I will be the first in line to buy one.
But the point of my reply to this post, even though I no longer have the CB I still love reading all the posts on this forum. There are some great characters and storytellers on here that make ride reports feel like you are there with them. And the forum knowledge to fix faults, modify and troubleshoot problems is mind boggling.
So as long as you don't mind an 'outsider' reading/contributing I think I'll be sticking around for quite awhile.
Cheers all
 
Sorry Guth and Ferret, I didn't mean to degrade your forum. I personally love this forum and the format. I check in several times a day. I should have said I miss the usual number posts that I enjoy. This forum is the reason I bought the cb1100 in the first place. I would post more myself but am keyboard defective.
 
Obleo, there was no degradation, just an honest observation on your part which allows us to discuss the possible reasons why posts drop off. We have all noticed it.
 
I don't use 6th gear on the CB either.

Well, she is a 2013 so it's not there to begin with...... :)
 
I would like to thank Guth for his dedication starting ang keeping this forum alive. I also appreciate our moderators ferret and Cormanus for keeping forum rookies like me in line. Where else can you find all the technical knowledge and common experience we have with our beautiful CB1100s in one place. I have learned so much reading the contents in this forum.
As a young man, I lusted for a CB750, but life events took over my priorities. I had my CB77 to ride, so that keep me (more or less) content for 44 years. Of course, Mother Nature and the laws of Physics came into play in recent years when both me and my Super hawk have gotten a little tired. After the 1970s, I lost any desire to buy another motorcycle when I saw plastic covered bikes and I didn’t have a need for a big cruiser. So my motorcycle resume is very limited when it comes to other motorcycles discussions.
When I first discovered Honda made a retro inline 4 and then saw one, it was love at first sight. It took me over a year for me to ask for my wife for permission to buy one. I was more nervous asking her for the CB than when I asked her to marry me almost 45 years ago. When she gave me approval, I had a CB1100 on order the next day, even though I knew very little about the bike.
Like Guth, this was the most exciting purchase I ever made, over any car, house or other man toys. Looking back, The questions I asked the dealer when I took possession of my new CB must have been pretty entertaining; “where is the kick starter? How do you turn the headlight on? What is the purpose of the bump in the exhaust pipe?.....what, since when have they been putting catalytic converters on motorcycles?” Now this shows I have little technical knowledge to contribute to this forum.
I do enjoy the monthly photo challenge thread. It gives me another reason to get out and go for a ride. Like November’s challenge with the flags. On that day, my wife made me get the Christmas decoration boxes out from the back corner of the garage. Of course, I had move me CB out of the way to get to the boxes. I got her set up to decorate and I did my part which involved me disappearing. What a better way to disappear is to fire up the CB and to go look for flags!
Enough from me...
 
Wow , Fat post strain my ADD brain :D

I also was taken back by ferret's post and also noticed i have experienced none of the problems he listed so my ownership has been a bit boring as it is Honda reliable at its best . did have a wheel unbalanced when i first got it but that was easily solved. Disappointed i can not figure out what luggage rack will fit it and Takashi could not help
 
Thread starter
obleo_imp said:
Sorry Guth and Ferret, I didn't mean to degrade your forum. I personally love this forum and the format. I check in several times a day. I should have said I miss the usual number posts that I enjoy. This forum is the reason I bought the cb1100 in the first place. I would post more myself but am keyboard defective.
I'm afraid that you've misinterpreted my post. I certainly don't feel that you've degraded this forum in any way with your post — you simply brought me out of a bit of a slumber. I basically felt the need to contribute something towards the discussion after reading your post, which was pretty much spot on. As I've noted — these things happen, it's not a big deal. As long as the folks who get something out of this forum continue to stick around and enjoy this place for what it is then it will be here for them to enjoy (even during the slow times, lol).
 
Back
Top