A deer hit me tonight......

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Going down a two lane today about an hour before dark to get a chicken dinner from an old country type store close to the house and out of nowhere a deer jumps out of a ditch. I see this out of the corner of my eye and go left hard because nothing was coming and nearly clean out a ditch. The good news here is that I was in my old pickup truck so its all good. The deer hit the right side of the truck and folded in the mirror and broke the housing and skinned up the door but that is not a big deal. Looked in the mirror and the deer rolled several times and got up and ran back the same direction he came from. It could have been way worse.

Just throwing this out there for you guys to be extra careful on your motorcycles. First one that has hit me in my life. I dont think I would have been able to avoid it on my motorcycle. I was only going about 50 mph. Please be careful and mindful these deer are everywhere and more active this time of year.
 
Glad you were OK. Little body/fender massage and she will be good as new. Also glad the 750 was resting comfortably at home. Yes we are moving into the breeding season for deer and they will be on the move.
 
Thread starter
ride4now_imp said:
I too am glad you're ok. And you're right, if you were on your bike, it would've been much worse.
Yeah, I think I would have went one way and the motorcycle the other and it would have been ugly. Im not worried about the damage to the truck. Its a 96 and has been used as a truck since day 1 and is skinned up on every corner. Mechanically sound pretty much but its been used like a truck is meant to be used.

I just want everybody to be aware and pay extra attention. IN my particular case I was and still almost had a big mess.

I almost took the 750 and thought to myself nah its a little bit too cool right now and its not that far so I wont burn much gas plus the truck needs to be run from time to time.
 
Stinkin forest rats

Yea it's the season, but they are always crossing the road around here morning noon and night

Be careful out there fellas and ladies
 
Really glad to read that you're ok and only minor damage to your truck. We used to have deer in the neighborhood I grew up in but i haven't seen one in about 20 years. Too much development ran them off. They've been replaced by gang members in low riders. They also tend to jump out of nowhere!
 
Wow, even in a vehicle this can be pretty scary!
I've had several close encounters with deer and moose. While we didn't crash into one another, it scares the beejeebers out of you!!
 
I've been working in the Rochester NY suburb of Pittsford-Victor; commuting up from FL. I just about crashed my rental car into a giant deer that walked right into the road in front of the hotel. I'd never had that happen before, and it sucks. Worse still, I saw a HUGE deer that had been hit, lying on the main road, thrashing around in agony. A local cop pulled over and started shooting at it. I kid you not, it was like "Me and Irene" in the cow scene. The cop shot him (her?) 5-6 times, it'd get half way up and try to run, then he'd shoot it some more...Jesus what a nightmare.
 
Deer are the reason I avoid riding after dark, especially in the rutting season. I had three collisions with deer, all in the fall season, commuting to my job. Fortunately I was in the cage on those occasions. Another thing to keep in mind, if a deer steps out in the road there are usually a couple more right behind so stop and wait.
 
Glad you're OK, OldF7!
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
I've been working in the Rochester NY suburb of Pittsford-Victor; commuting up from FL. I just about crashed my rental car into a giant deer that walked right into the road in front of the hotel. I'd never had that happen before, and it sucks. Worse still, I saw a HUGE deer that had been hit, lying on the main road, thrashing around in agony. A local cop pulled over and started shooting at it. I kid you not, it was like "Me and Irene" in the cow scene. The cop shot him (her?) 5-6 times, it'd get half way up and try to run, then he'd shoot it some more...Jesus what a nightmare.
That cop needs a lesson in shot placement. Head or heart. Fer chrissakes. I do appreciate that he pulled over to end the animal's agony, though.
 
Had one land in my lap back in the day on a BMW R65LS. Not sure who was worse after that...me the Bimmer or the dang woodrat. :dodgy:
 
Back
Top