7" Headlight Grill

f4c6558644d4732fd9cb53956cb7d149.jpg


Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
I keep coming back to this page. I like the look of this but wonder if there's a simple way to attach the grill without having the silver fasteners so visible.

Chienhyu, is your grill attached in some other way? The close-up photos don't show any fasteners but I'm not sure if the grill is simply resting on the headlight in those shots. I tried to enlarge the photo of it mounted on your bike but it got too blurry for me to see if the fasteners were visible. I suppose I can paint the fasteners and that would solve my concerns.

Now, what about cleaning the bugs out of it ...
 
The fasteners for this headlight grill are much less noticeable. Something I could live with. How they attach and whether this attachment method is compatible with the CB, I have no idea.

chienhyu_imp said:
Hi,

Does anyone can share information about headlight grill for CB1100?
I am looking for the grill which can be install on the CB1100 without any modification since I am from oversea and there will be a issue if the grill can't fit on CB1100 exactly.



e2b803fdba392bb1e8eaafd0c8bc535a.jpg


Any information will help, Thanks !!

Roger
 
Agreed, I'd like to find a less visible fastener. I got my grill on Ebay. All in all, they don't look too bad IMHO, but if I figure out a better attachment method I'll let you guys know.

As for cleaning bugs - Q-tips? Lol.

I thought about painting the clips black. That might make them less noticeable.
 
My turn. I ordered a headlight grill from eBay, it came quickly and I just got done putting it on. The fasteners, as simple as they are, proved to be rather challenging to put on. Determined that there must be a better way, I searched my tool box and found a bag of 14" cable ties. In black. Perfect.

The cable ties presented their own challenges but I was convinced that if I could make them work, I'd much prefer the clean look over the metal clips. I realize I'm sacrificing ease of removal and consider this an experiment of sorts. For now, I'm happy with the effort and the result.

Here are some photos of the finished project:


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/3CED23DE-460F-4215-9474-BD4E675EE5FC.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/EB1BEFE4-6DC5-40DF-917B-D86E5484D838.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/1302C453-2DA4-42A1-B823-7DD58E62340F.jpg.html]
 
Work gave me a new iPhone 6 (not the 6s, but I'm not complaining) and the camera is so much better than what I have on my personal cell phone. Here's my headlight grill with a couple of filters from the Tadaa app that I like. Just having fun.


Original Photo.

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/964EB604-C098-46B7-B302-CAF061E2052B.jpg.html]
"Skinny Jeans" filter.

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/C8A79BD8-2201-4FDB-AECA-59A3381416FA.jpg.html]
"Lucy" filter.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
Looks good, man. What kind of fasteners are those?
Thanks Rebel! They are nothing more than 14" cable/zip ties. The "buckle" portion of the cable tie is large enough to not pass through the gap between the headlight rim and headlight. It took some patience to get the ties in the right spot and securely affixed. I, of course, trimmed them down once locked in place. Now to see how it holds up over time.
 
Zip ties are pretty tough. Should hold up pretty well. I used them instead of screws to fasten the license plate on my Mustang's front bumper. Been on there for years now.
 
Suits you MG. It's sort of like the face protector crusading knights wore with their metal helmet when they went out to fight villains.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
MG,
I got some cable ties but I'm trying to figure out how you ran them through?
I hope explaining it will be easier than doing it!

I removed the headlight and chrome headlight rim. (I'm sure you know this already but there are two mounting screws at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions while looking at the headlight and then you gently lift it up and off at the top. I then unplugged the bulb connector.)

With the headlight unit free from the headlight case, you can rest the headlight grill on top of the lens and decide where you want to run the cable ties. I started from behind the lens and ran the cable tie through the gap that exists between the lens and the chrome rim. I continued with the cable tie under the headlight grill, weaving it through a gap in the grill, then back over the end of the headlight grill and through the same gap between the headlight and the chrome rim.

If you go slowly, you should be able to get the cable tie to go back directly over itself then through the cable tie's buckle. Cinch it tight and the buckle will be pressed against the gap in the headlight unit and chrome rim from the inside; too large to pass through. Repeat for however many connections you want to make (I went with four), trim the cable ties and you're good to go.

Does any of that make sense?
 
Back
Top