'69 CB750 KO in Harrisburg

Did it sell? When the prototype bike was in the news there was much discussion on the skyrocketing value of sandcast bikes. Aside from there simply being fewer of them, there doesn't appear to be any other differences from later models.
 
What's the difference between this one and the once that sold recently for nearly $150K?
 
Friend of a friend bought several bikes from a local estate sale. One was a sandcast. Pretty well aged, chain was so rusted in couldn't be moved. He sold it for $31,000. Amongst the sandcast; there are four prototypes. One of these went for just over $130,000.

I'd never pay that much... but, Beauty is the eye of the beholder
 
Cormanus_imp said:
What's the difference between this one and the once that sold recently for nearly $150K?
That one was one of four, hand-built prototypes that were shipped to the US for dealer shows before the CB went into production. And apparently it's the only survivor of the four. It had many unique parts, most notable in my mind being the billet crankshaft. I never did hear who bought the damn thing, I hope it went to a museum or other owner who will display it.

I'm no expert, but I understand the sand-cast bikes were the early production models. I don't think there is any significant difference other than the production tooling between those and the later bikes.
 
Rumor that was circulating around was that Leno got.



[/i]
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rumor that was circulating around was that Leno got.



[/i]
That would not surprise me in the least.
 
Thanks for the explanation, Spaceman.

The Leno rumour reached Australia.
 
This info is from the SOHC4 Owners Club website and describes it better than I can.


"The earliest CB750′s had gravity cast engine cases erroneously referred to as sandcast. The early engine cases, which were made prior to the completion of production casting dies, were actually cast using what is correctly called permanent mold casting which uses metal casting molds not sand. It is the gravity casting method and the molds that results in a rough finish to the part. The later engine cases were cast using a technique called die-casting where the metal was pressure fed into a casting die resulting in a smoother surface finish, better quality control, and a generally stronger part.

There are several distinctive characateristics of this series of engines:
•The engine cases have a distinctive rough finish that resembles the roughness of 400-600 grit sandpaper.
•The engine serial number is CB750E-1007414 or lower.
•The clutch cover is held on with 10 screws – the diecast engines have 11.

The sandcast engines were fitted only to the earliest 1969 models. The first thousand bikes were hand built, mostly in California, as Honda tested the market for this new model. Most of these bikes would have been registered prior to August 1969. A good resource for owners of these highly collectible early CB750′s is the Honda CB750 Sandcast Only Owners Club. You’ll find lots of good information there including details on changes to the bikes in the early years and photos and analysis of the early production bikes.

Use caution when buying anything designated as ‘sandcast’ since this is a label often incorrectly tacked on parts and bikes by questionable sellers seeking to drive up prices."


That '69 for $13,000 was a steal! Had he put that on eBay, he probably would have been looking at more like $30,000 - $40,000!
The ferret_imp said:
Rumor that was circulating around was that Leno got.



[/i]
I don't know. If that were the case, I would of expected to have seen it on 'Leno's Garage' by now. Jay has never been shy about showing off his collection. :D
 
The blue 750 that sold on eBay was one of the first 4 handmade. The pipes was handmade beat out with hammers. The tank emblems was made from sand. The blinkers was welded on not bolted. One bike went to the junk yard and got crushed and ground up they found very small parts from it. One bike got stole and never recovered. One bike is in a room took all the way apart even the motor is apart laid out nice! The owner of it says he will never sell it but might have honda put it back together all parts like new! So it's 2 bikes left of the 4. I got a friend from the cbx forum that went to jay Leno garage about 2 months ago. I will ask him if he saw the bike there
Damfino all 69 was sandcast and the first few 70 models was sandcast I think I could be wrong. But I think the motor #s made it to the first few 70 models. The 69 & 70 was both KO bikes with 71 being the K1
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks for the explanation, Spaceman.

The Leno rumour reached Australia.
Many of the articles I read on this while searching for the purchaser stated the bike was an absolute steal at $130k. Unfortunately, the only info I can find on who actually bought the bike:

"The new owner is unknown, but so long as the European gold bike remains in pieces, the blue/green prototype should appreciate in value."
 
The owner of the 2nd bike is in Europe and is in pieces but every part is like new. That's why he took it all apart to keep every single part new! They want say who he is either. I'm sure the bike that got stole is still around also making 3 of the 4 still around!
 
Heard from a good source that jay Leno did not buy the bike! The owner ( guy that sold it) invented the glow stick! So $148,100 is not much money to him
 
Thread starter
Sorry, you need to be logged in to see the sale prices.
Yes, CB did sell at $13K
The bike was in a rather extensive collection for over a decade and Mecum, like all the big auction outfits, is meticulous in documenting what it sells. I know that they pulled three cars at Harrisburg because they could not verify owners claims about things.
 
Back
Top