68 CB450 Rebuild with pictures

Thread starter
Success, the old bike fired right up without much fanfare. Like I never even had it apart. Actually it didn't start on the first try because the battery was low but after I charged it up it started no problem. A few more parts, recover the seat and I'll be waiting for the warm weather to get here for the first ride.
 
Very cool Mike. Glad she fired off right away. Got to feel good to do that yourself.
 
Mike. Your rebuild project is something that many of us would like to experience, so thanks for the detailed reports and pictures. The CB450 is looking great!
 
Great work. Must be a blast that she went 'first kick'.
 
It mush be a real reward to have taken the engine down, put all those pieces back together and have it fire right up. It's alive !
 
You are right, Mike. People toured on these "big" bikes. The 450 was Honda's first large bike and was well thought of by the press at the time.

This was the age when the soon to be announced CB750 was thought of as a "superbike" and an 1100 would have been what, a "megabike"?
 
Thread starter
I'll have to do some shakedown rides before I'll be ready to leave town. Cross country? I don't know about that.
 
Thread starter
Looks good, Mike. Wasn't the original high beam indicator the left hand light in the tachometer?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Looks good, Mike. Wasn't the original high beam indicator the left hand light in the tachometer?
That's the neutral light. It was originally in the top of the headlight bucket. I'v got a disc brake front end on it so the gauges aren't original to the 68. I think its a 72 front end.
Chapomis_imp said:
Nice work Mike, very inspiring. I need to find a worthy opponent for my efforts.
Pick up a 750, there are plenty of parts around.
 
Of course it was. Thanks Mike.
 
Back
Top