68 CB450 Rebuild with pictures

I love it.. the CB450 ('72) was the first motorcycle I ever rode. It belonged to my neighbor.. He put me on it, said this is the clutch, brake, etc.. and let me ride away (well, after stalling it about 4 times first)... Later on when he moved 300 miles away I rode the bike for him up to his new place.. my first ride of over 50 miles on a bike.. fond memories..
That restoration is looking good and bringing back the memories !
yay !
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. I would like to get the motor back in the frame this weekend but it's 20 degrees out there. I'll have to try and get some heat going. That should be that last major hurdle. I'll report back.
 
Really nice report!

It reminds me very much on my `76 CB500T (successor of the CB450), I had for a couple of years at the beginning of the 80s.

I also had to remove the starter chain, as the starter didn't work anyway and the free wheel mechanism of the starter was broken.

No need for the starter anyway. The motor started at the first kick every time. But you had to pull the throttle to max.

Did not have much money at that time as a student and wrenched everything by myself.
 
Thread starter
Chapomis_imp said:
I need to get one of those tables soon. Did yours come with hydraulic fluid in the jack ? Or just air like some.
I didn't check it but it does go up and down. I have to see how it works when I get the 1100 on it before I can say I'm completely happy with it.
Django_imp said:
Really nice report!

It reminds me very much on my `76 CB500T (successor of the CB450), I had for a couple of years at the beginning of the 80s.

I also had to remove the starter chain, as the starter didn't work anyway and the free wheel mechanism of the starter was broken.

No need for the starter anyway. The motor started at the first kick every time. But you had to pull the throttle to max.

Did not have much money at that time as a student and wrenched everything by myself.
They are very close to the same bike, love the old twins.
 
That looks like the Harbor Freight model. I have a coupon for one at $299.00. Been thinking hard about picking one up. let us know your impression of it when the CB is on it.
 
Back
Top