68 CB450 Rebuild with pictures

Mike546_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
While I'm searching for a CB1100 I have a 68 CB450 K1 half way through a complete rebuild in my garage and basement. I bought it May of 2015 with the intent of getting it running good and riding it around town. I'm 55 and have been riding motocross for the last ten years after not even sitting on a bike since I was 22. I broke my wrist at work a little over a year ago and unfortunately I can t ride MX anymore. Thats where the 450 comes in to fill the void. I did put s few hundred miles on it this summer but I know I need something bigger for longer rides. I"ll post up some pictures of my project.

Bike as I bought it with pitted chrome, tarnished aluminum and chipping paint.
977b6442cf0cd3668c63bd318de16fca.jpeg


f1be851d744493488f457b7570eee238.jpeg





[url=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bova/media/CB450/image_zpsr8wgowpm.jpeg.html]

[url=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bova/media/CB450/image_zpsztduwppq.jpeg.html]
First thing I did was strip the bike to the frame for powdercoating. Bought new rims and spokes and relaced the wheels myself to a NOS rear hub and a cleaned up front.

[url=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bova/media/CB450/image_zps6tenwvum.jpeg.html]

New bars, switches, steering bearings, levers and front fender.
[url=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bova/media/CB450/image_zpsb31r87vw.jpeg.html]
[url=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bova/media/CB450/image_zpshbetuzry.jpeg.html]
[url=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bova/media/CB450/image_zpsvjcyk3pm.jpeg.html]
[url=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bova/media/CB450/image_zpsmxhr9mmj.jpeg.html]

More to come
 
When I lived in Duluth these were almost as common at Suzuki 380's. Lately I've been thinking of getting one for a project but dang, you can't find 'em! Back in the day folks toured on them. Being spoiled rotten, not sure if they would make a good touring choice today unless you had a great custom seat made. I envy you; keep us posted!

Plan B, for me, get a CJ360T.
 
Thread starter
I looked for a while before I found this one. I only wanted the 68 with the toaster tank. Of course after I bought it several popped up in better shape and priced less but that's the way it goes. There is a nice one in CT right now. http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/391360132134
I could have bought a new CB1100 DLX for what I have invested in this one.
 
Nice bike! The early CB450's are very desirable, and some parts are super hard to source. When storing the bike; take some WD-40 and fog the mufflers. Doesn't hurt to coat the outside seams also.

Your '68 turned out real nice. I'd love to have a '67... someday.
 
Excellent ! and thanks for the pictures, very inspiring.

I bought a CB360 last summer for a project bike, I would have prefered something a little rarer like yours or a small inline 4, but they are very popular now and when they do come up they are priced to high for the amount of work they usually need.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the encouragement.
What I did to the motor was take it down and split the cases. I've never split cases or held the transmission in my hands before. It seamed like a daunting task but it was very straight forward. I soda blasted the cases, cylinder and head and painted them with hi temp paint. The cylinders were still in speck so I had them honed and replaced the rings. I found new valves and lightly lapped them in. I also replaced the timing chain because you have to break it to remove it. I polished the cam holders and bolted it back together. I have NOS (new old stock) clutch, chain and alternators coming UPS today.


[url=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bova/media/CB450/image_zpsblmmlqn9.jpeg.html]

[url=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Bova/media/CB450/image_zps98iysgvr.jpeg.html]
 
It's a lovely example of that particular style of CB450 Mike. I don't think they sold well in Australia; there certainly weren't many of the next styling iteration.
 
Thread starter
Chapomis_imp said:
What did you do to polish the aluminum parts ?
I either stripped off the clear coat with paint remover or soda blasted them. Then a few minutes on the buffing wheel. I didn't go too far, I'm not looking for the chrome like finish that can be achieved. I'm looking for a more stock finish. Then a couple of light coats of clear lacquer. The clear dulls it slightly. I just got new old stock covers today and they match pretty good?
 
Thread starter
Chapomis_imp said:
the parts look great, whats soda blasting ? Just Googled it, pretty cool. Did you buy a machine ?
It's like sand blasting but with baking soda. It won't etch metal but will remove paint and grease and light rust.
 
Just to add that soda blasting is fairly inexpensive, if you already own a decent compressor. Harbor freight sells the blaster and media fairly inexpensively. I use it to remove paint from stone memorials without affecting their polished surfaces. I never thought of using it to remove clear coat from aluminum. Thanks Mike! I have a couple of problems you just solved for me! Love this forum!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I found out clear lacquer is NOT what to use. Alas, I don't know what to recommend.
I've read that too because it has no UV protection. I thought I would try it because the bike will be indoor unless the motor is running.
 
Back
Top