2026 Heartland Rally 8/29-9/5, 2026 Official Thread

Thanks for everything. David
 
I have family in MN and IL, so I may as well mark this out on the calendar. I'm sure I could talk my BIL to ride up and join us as well on one of his bikes.
 
DAC and Goldwing Dave are attendees for sure.  We are working on a smaller trailer option.  Goldwing Dave has a snowmobile trailer that looks like it will accommodate the two bikes side-by-side and it's covered "clamshell" fashion.  So, hopefully, we won't be hogging several parking spots.

As for the logo, that wasn't quite the naked girl I would expect.
 
Thread starter
So happy that DAC and Goldwing Dave will be making the trip to the rally!

Just communicated with Pam at Round Barn Lodge: "we have plenty of parking for trailers".

The hotel does not provide breakfast, continental or otherwise, at this time. This a minor problem, I think (and hope). There is a restaurant, Anita's, just a half-mile down the road from the hotel. Also, if the on-site restaurant deal goes through, they will have breakfast available there. We won't know about the new restaurant until after the first of the year. If none of that works, I'll make sure that we have at least some snack bars, water, soda, and maybe some fresh fruit available each morning. We can also schedule early "To Breakfast" rides if people like that idea. The point is that we will work this one way or another.
 
The A-man said:
Mark me down as "Highly likely" to attend.  It's an area of the country that I've never visited before, so I'm very interested.

PS.  I'll bring some spare tires!

How many bikes can you carry on your trailer?  :D


I'd sure like to see that part of the country. It's thirteen hours on the highways, though I notice that the Google route takes me through a place called Oak Park, so it might be worth it to stop there. And if I could find my way to Razor's place along the way, all my riding would be fulfilled.
 
And you could stop in southern Ohio, I'm pretty sure I owe ya a night or three
 
Thread starter
Inhouse Bob said:
The A-man said:
Mark me down as "Highly likely" to attend.  It's an area of the country that I've never visited before, so I'm very interested.

PS.  I'll bring some spare tires!

How many bikes can you carry on your trailer?  :D


I'd sure like to see that part of the country. It's thirteen hours on the highways, though I notice that the Google route takes me through a place called Oak Park, so it might be worth it to stop there. And if I could find my way to Razor's place along the way, all my riding would be fulfilled.



Oak Park would be a nice place to visit because of the Frank Lloyd Wright connection between it and Spring Green, WI.  It is a 1/2hour from Park Ridge and a night of free lodging if you so desire --  In an actual bed and with your bike in a locked attached garage.   We have room for a couple of you chuckle head, although it just dawned on me that we might already be in Spring Green by the time any rally goers would be passing through Chicago.   All the same, if you need a place to stay near Chicago, let me know and we'll figure out a way to make it happen.

MTC
 
Although it may be difficult for me to ride my CB1100EX this event, I will make sure I am there for at least one day to pay my respects and treat everyone to a nice meal. Looking forward to it. David
 
Thread starter
Exciting News!!!

Shortly after the Driftless Area was selected as the 2026 rally point, I began planning the event.  As you have read in posts above, we settled on Spring Green, WI for its relatively easy access from riders' homes and for its relatively easy access to some great Wisconsin riding.  I also posted a few "sample" routes to demonstrate that Wisconsin is a wonderful place to ride.   One of the sample routes would take us through Leland which is a tiny town to the northeast of Spring Green that is known for nothing much except as one of the two ends of the Slimey Crud Run, a biannual meet up, generally populated with vintage motorcycles,  vintage riders, and which was created by writer Peter Egan and his oddball motorcycling friends, though "oddball" and "motorcycling friends seems redundant somehow.  Another route could bring us out west, across the Mississippi to Pike's Peak State Park, which, while also named for explorer Zebulon Pike, bears no discernible resemblance to the Colorado Pike's Peak. I didn't know of Pike's Peak in Iowa until I read a story by Peter Egan in which he rides a motorcycle and his friend rides a bicycle from roughly Madison, WI to Pike's Peak State Park.  I was unable to think of riding in the Driftless without think of Peter Egan's writings on the subject.  

I got to thinking that it would pretty neat if Peter Egan somehow happened to ride past us on our way to Leland or to Pike's Peak; maybe he would turn around and follow the line of retro UJMs out WI33.   I shared this bit of fancy, which had now grown into "what if he came to the rally an hung out with us", with The Ferret and Offroad in a group text and they encouraged me to contact him.  I said I would try to find an email address for his publicist or him directly, but that I doubt I will be able to find anything.   The Ferret, as he does, cut through the red tape and came up with the elegantly simple solution,  "How about writing him a letter" after which he posted a screenshot that had Egan's address.   Google is a marvelously scary world, but I was glad to have an address.   

So I wrote Peter Egan:


r4aFQCe.jpg



And Peter Egan wrote to me:

9PZkDT6.jpg



There's a lot of time between now and then, but if the stars align, we might have another old rider hanging out with us in Spring Green.
 
Oh man, that would be so cool!
 
Thanks for sharing that article, SneakyFast. A good read.
 
Gents, I don’t believe my eyes. Not only is this the closest rally to me in 13 years, but it actually lands on the only week next year I don’t have a mandatory business trip. Doubt I could stay the week, but hope to make it there for a few days. Me and old Jessica Rabbit hope to see you all next year god willing!!!
 
Thread starter
Food!! Good news for those that were worried about breakfast and snacks. I was informed that the hotel has entered into an agreement with another party to run the restaurant, bar, and banquet operations on site. I do not have any more details than that right now, but it's a very promising development that should be able to keep our routine of gathering for rides at the hotel's dining area. If the bar is typical of Wisconsin bars, then you can also try out the Wisconsin brandy old fashioned after your day's ride. I personally view this as a monstrosity of a cocktail, but it's very popular. I'll clue y'all in on the difference between a "sweet", "sour", and "press" old fashioned as the big event draws nearer.

I will be in contact with the hotel after the First of 2026 to start setting up the booking process. I will urge you, as all previous rally hosts have urged you, to please book early so we can have a reasonable estimate of attendees as soon as possible.

Thanks again for agreeing to having the Rally in the Driftless Region. Cheryl and I are looking forward to showing you around.
 
I'll bring my own tea bags, creme and sugar. As long as they have a microwave in the room, I'm good lol
 
Back
Top