2022 Kawasaki Z650RS

Sounds like an expensive project bike to me. Pretty to look at, but a lot of work to make functional.
 
Thread starter
The SW-Motech side racks and cases arrived today; unfortunately, one mounting bracket is missing, but I’ve already ordered a replacement.
Installation went smoothly and took a good hour.
They are smaller (17.6 L) than the ones on my DLX, but they’ll be perfectly adequate for a very long trip, especially since I also have a Givi top case.
They stick out a bit; I might modify them over the winter to bring them closer together.

EpigI50.jpg



0GAMJpw.jpg


BE18vBN.jpg


LKEkDvt.jpg


n7Hp0YQ.jpg


6sOAtlZ.jpg


qvXHVWB.jpg



I also adjusted the rear/monoshock to make it softer

GVUdOgl.jpg
 
Beautiful cases. I have been trying to resist buying a pair for myself!
 
They look great, Peter. Would they fit on the CB1100?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
They look great, Peter. Would they fit on the CB1100?

The short answer is no, although I suppose smaller panniers, those from Kawi, might fit the CB's rack after extensive, reversable modifications, see pic.

ByW6gmm.jpg
 
I am a big SW-Motech fan. Their products are well-made, durable, and incredibly well-engineered. I previously purchased the Top Case, which also has matching side cases. There are soft case options, too. See links below:

Hard Cases

Soft Cases

Both options have mounting brackets available. If you have an existing rear rack, you may need crossovers or custom fabrication. I suspect I will find out in the next 12 months. :)
 
Are they hard plastic, or sort of a soft material? They look like the Givi Wl901 "Semi Rigid" top box.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
Are they hard plastic, or sort of a soft material? They look like the Givi Wl901 "Semi Rigid" top box.

The Kawi side cases are made of a plastic that is hard yet thin and flexible, not as hard and rigid as the givi top box. Inside, there is a fabric lining.
 
peterbaron said:
Gone in 60 said:
Are they hard plastic, or sort of a soft material? They look like the Givi Wl901 "Semi Rigid" top box.

The Kawi side cases are made of a plastic that is hard yet thin and flexible, not as hard and rigid as the givi top box. Inside, there is a fabric lining.

That must make them nice and light. Good for handling.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
peterbaron said:
Gone in 60 said:
Are they hard plastic, or sort of a soft material? They look like the Givi Wl901 "Semi Rigid" top box.

The Kawi side cases are made of a plastic that is hard yet thin and flexible, not as hard and rigid as the givi top box. Inside, there is a fabric lining.

That must make them nice and light. Good for handling.

It seems esier than CB's
 
I agree with Peterbaron's characterization of the plastic's hardness. I owned the top case, which had an expandable fabric lining that increased storage capacity. The stored items were not as secure as when the plastic lid was the only protector, but I did use this fabric function when I had more items than could fit in the standard case. It worked well for me, and I never lost a load or experienced any aerodynamic issues. See pictures to help make my slightly confusing statements make sense.

dyRzIk8.png


vWpf9rl.png


LH1QepJ.png
 
[quote="Cormanus" pid='275550' dateline='1785375736']
Are they waterproof?
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, no. The case itself is waterproof, but the zippers are not. In a light rain and light wind, no water will penetrate. But in heavy rain or heavy wind, there will be some seepage. SW-Motech provides a waterproof bag to place your items in before inserting it into the Top Case. The same applies to the matching Side Cases.

See details and picture.

URBAN ABS Top case
  • Lightweight top case for sporty motorcycles and naked bikes
  • Durable, robust and lightweight due to the 2.5mm (bottom) and 2mm (top) thick ABS plastic
  • Volume can be expanded from 16 to 29 l via circumferential zipper
  • With the volume fully expanded, the URBAN ABS top case holds a helmet
  • Integrated straps for compressing the luggage prevent the lid from fluttering
  • Anti-theft protection via mount on rack, lockable zipper and lock for motorcycle luggage included in delivery
  • Integrated straps for compressing the luggage prevent the lid from fluttering
  • Convenient carrying handle
  • Reflective details for more safety in traffic
  • The top case's modern-looking textured surface is easy to maintain and scratch-resistant
  • Spacious mesh compartment on the inside of the lid
  • Padded interior lining, with pocket for stowing the lock for motorcycle luggage
  • Waterproof inner bag included in delivery

Details
  • Material: ABS plastic / Polyester
  • Color: black / black
  • Size: 36,0 x 40,5 x 21,5 cm / 14.2 x 15.9 x 8.5 in
  • Total Weight: appr. 2,3 kg / appr. 5.1 lb
  • Total Volume: 16,0-29,0 l

Waterproof inner bag
  • Material: 210D polyamide
  • Surface: PU coated
  • Color: black
  • Total Weight: appr. 0,1 kg / appr. 0.3 lb
  • Total Volume: 29

Side Cases

SW-Motech Website
 

Attachments

  • bag.webp
    bag.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 107
Thread starter
Here are my observations: for water to leak into these panniers, you would have to submerge them in water.
I put all my gear into a plastic bag first, and then into the panniers.
I’ve ridden through a downpour like that for several hundred kilometers, and there was just a bit of moisture on the plastic bag.
The construction of the CB and Kawasaki panniers is very similar.
My bikes are not U-boats, ride more and worry less..
 
Back
Top