2022 Kawasaki Z650RS

peterbaron_imp said:
Yap, space is the issue, cannot have my third so my white CB has to go to make some room for Z650RS

Ferret is more lucky, had plenty of bikes, has lots of room and only two bikes :)

Would like to know what our Defender of the Realm feels when he switches from his DLX to NC and vice versa, please.
The CB is my fav by far. If you said I could only keep one motorcycle, the NC would be gone.

The CB is just a joy on every ride. Smooth, love the engine and power and brakes and handling and transmission and looks. It's got it all.

The NC has it's advantages.. it's light, gets great gas mileage, it also handles well. The DCT makes it so easy to ride. It's main advantage though is that it keeps miles off my CB .... 28,313 of them so far.

Brakes are not as good as the CB's, and the motor is kind of anemic power wise, plus I am absolutely NOT a fan of the 270-degree throb which supposedly gives it "character". I wish it had a 360 motor with dual counter balancers instead like my 2003 Triumph T-100 Bonneville had. That was a great P Twin motor.

Every time I ride the CB I think man, I wish the NC had THIS motor.

Unfortunately for me, that 270 motor is the "in thing" right now and everybody is building them, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph. May as well be a V Twin Harley or Ducati or Guzzi or an opposed twin BMW

Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your P-Twin, shake your P-Twin lol
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Sat + fit + like it = buy it
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Found a rental 2017 Z650 near me.....awaiting response
Very similar bike if not identical engine
:banana:
Tev62_imp said:
I think you would grow to appreciate that "little less chrome" when it comes to taking the bike out in inclement weather. I always cringe on the CB if I am caught in the rain.
What you mean caught in the rain, can bike get wet?...me no ride when is wet outside :P
Riding in the rain is a part of the "freedom" (not ideal though).

PB - tell readers more about this 2017 Z650 "rental" thing?


GoldOxide_imp said:
Cannot tell now, but I will when mission completed. Stay tuned.
No info yet from Kawi dealer about approximate trade value...they work slow or no need a CB1100 :s

Cannot tell now, but I will when mission completed. Stay tuned.
No info yet from Kawi dealer about approximate trade value...they work slow or no need a CB1100 :s
I don't understand the "rental" response [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB, but okay. Sounds almost like you are planning to make an offer.

Cannot tell now, but I will when mission completed. Stay tuned.
No info yet from Kawi dealer about approximate trade value...they work slow or no need a CB1100 :s
I don't understand the "rental" response [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB, but okay. Sounds almost like you are planning to make an offer.
No.
I need a ride test prior buying.
There is a guy who rents his 2017 Z650, similar bike.... and upon liking it, I will buy the Z650RS from a dealer without testing.
The ferret_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The CB is my fav by far. If you said I could only keep one motorcycle, the NC would be gone.

The CB is just a joy on every ride. Smooth, love the engine and power and brakes and handling and transmission and looks. It's got it all.

The NC has it's advantages.. it's light, gets great gas mileage, it also handles well. The DCT makes it so easy to ride. It's main advantage though is that it keeps miles off my CB .... 28,313 of them so far.

Brakes are not as good as the CB's, and the motor is kind of anemic power wise, plus I am absolutely NOT a fan of the 270-degree throb which supposedly gives it "character". I wish it had a 360 motor with dual counter balancers instead like my 2003 Triumph T-100 Bonneville had. That was a great P Twin motor.

Every time I ride the CB I think man, I wish the NC had THIS motor.

Unfortunately for me, that 270 motor is the "in thing" right now and everybody is building them, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph. May as well be a V Twin Harley or Ducati or Guzzi or an opposed twin BMW

Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your P-Twin, shake your P-Twin lol
The CB is my fav by far. If you said I could only keep one motorcycle, the NC would be gone.

The CB is just a joy on every ride. Smooth, love the engine and power and brakes and handling and transmission and looks. It's got it all.

The NC has it's advantages.. it's light, gets great gas mileage, it also handles well. The DCT makes it so easy to ride. It's main advantage though is that it keeps miles off my CB .... 28,313 of them so far.

Brakes are not as good as the CB's, and the motor is kind of anemic power wise, plus I am absolutely NOT a fan of the 270-degree throb which supposedly gives it "character". I wish it had a 360 motor with dual counter balancers instead like my 2003 Triumph T-100 Bonneville had. That was a great P Twin motor.

Every time I ride the CB I think man, I wish the NC had THIS motor.

Unfortunately for me, that 270 motor is the "in thing" right now and everybody is building them, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph. May as well be a V Twin Harley or Ducati or Guzzi or an opposed twin BMW

Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your P-Twin, shake your P-Twin lol
Thanks, I'm afraid of what you've already experienced ....but not much choice when downsizing :-/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> YAY, just got the confirmation for a 2017 Z650, 24hr bike rental<<<<<<<<< :banana:
 
270 P-Twins and chain drives, cheap to manufacture and the bane of my existance lol. Not a fan.

You are right, if you want to downsize, there aren't many options.
 
Ha, PB, that was my experience with the Interceptor 650. Rented one for a day to either eliminate it from my conciousness or decide that I like it enough to seriously start shopping.

A, Ferret, cheap, 270 P-Twin with chain drive.

The rental sold me.
 
Some guys are twin fans, some triple fans, some 4s, some like air cooled, some liquid cooled, some like chain, some belt and some shaft. I've had them all and my favorite bikes since my first one in 1977 have been air cooled liter class I-4s....and if I had a preference they'd have shaft drives.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ha, PB, that was my experience with the Interceptor 650. Rented one for a day to either eliminate it from my conciousness or decide that I like it enough to seriously start shopping.

A, Ferret, cheap, 270 P-Twin with chain drive.

The rental sold me.
:thumbsup:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Sat + fit + like it = buy it
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Found a rental 2017 Z650 near me.....awaiting response
Very similar bike if not identical engine
:banana:
Tev62_imp said:
I think you would grow to appreciate that "little less chrome" when it comes to taking the bike out in inclement weather. I always cringe on the CB if I am caught in the rain.
What you mean caught in the rain, can bike get wet?...me no ride when is wet outside :P
Riding in the rain is a part of the "freedom" (not ideal though).

PB - tell readers more about this 2017 Z650 "rental" thing?


GoldOxide_imp said:
Cannot tell now, but I will when mission completed. Stay tuned.
No info yet from Kawi dealer about approximate trade value...they work slow or no need a CB1100 :s

Cannot tell now, but I will when mission completed. Stay tuned.
No info yet from Kawi dealer about approximate trade value...they work slow or no need a CB1100 :s
I don't understand the "rental" response [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB, but okay. Sounds almost like you are planning to make an offer.

Cannot tell now, but I will when mission completed. Stay tuned.
No info yet from Kawi dealer about approximate trade value...they work slow or no need a CB1100 :s
I don't understand the "rental" response [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB, but okay. Sounds almost like you are planning to make an offer.
No.
I need a ride test prior buying.
There is a guy who rents his 2017 Z650, similar bike.... and upon liking it, I will buy the Z650RS from a dealer without testing.
The ferret_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
The CB is my fav by far. If you said I could only keep one motorcycle, the NC would be gone.

The CB is just a joy on every ride. Smooth, love the engine and power and brakes and handling and transmission and looks. It's got it all.

The NC has it's advantages.. it's light, gets great gas mileage, it also handles well. The DCT makes it so easy to ride. It's main advantage though is that it keeps miles off my CB .... 28,313 of them so far.

Brakes are not as good as the CB's, and the motor is kind of anemic power wise, plus I am absolutely NOT a fan of the 270-degree throb which supposedly gives it "character". I wish it had a 360 motor with dual counter balancers instead like my 2003 Triumph T-100 Bonneville had. That was a great P Twin motor.

Every time I ride the CB I think man, I wish the NC had THIS motor.

Unfortunately for me, that 270 motor is the "in thing" right now and everybody is building them, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph. May as well be a V Twin Harley or Ducati or Guzzi or an opposed twin BMW

Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your P-Twin, shake your P-Twin lol
The CB is my fav by far. If you said I could only keep one motorcycle, the NC would be gone.

The CB is just a joy on every ride. Smooth, love the engine and power and brakes and handling and transmission and looks. It's got it all.

The NC has it's advantages.. it's light, gets great gas mileage, it also handles well. The DCT makes it so easy to ride. It's main advantage though is that it keeps miles off my CB .... 28,313 of them so far.

Brakes are not as good as the CB's, and the motor is kind of anemic power wise, plus I am absolutely NOT a fan of the 270-degree throb which supposedly gives it "character". I wish it had a 360 motor with dual counter balancers instead like my 2003 Triumph T-100 Bonneville had. That was a great P Twin motor.

Every time I ride the CB I think man, I wish the NC had THIS motor.

Unfortunately for me, that 270 motor is the "in thing" right now and everybody is building them, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph. May as well be a V Twin Harley or Ducati or Guzzi or an opposed twin BMW

Shake shake shake, shake shake shake, shake your P-Twin, shake your P-Twin lol
Thanks, I'm afraid of what you've already experienced ....but not much choice when downsizing :-/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> YAY, just got the confirmation for a 2017 Z650, 24hr bike rental<<<<<<<<< :banana:

How much was the rental [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB?
 
Thread starter
I don't know, Kawasaki, Triumph, Honda, Suzuki Powersports and cannot figure out a trade value of my 2014 CB1100 for 2 days.... total 6 - 7 emails exchanged....and now they want to know if it has an ABS :huh::@
This is not how I like doing business...
I will wait for my Z650 ride/3rd party on Monday and on Tuesday I decide what to do next.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
I don't know, Kawasaki, Triumph, Honda, Suzuki Powersports and cannot figure out a trade value of my 2014 CB1100 for 2 days.... total 6 - 7 emails exchanged....and now they want to know if it has an ABS :huh::@
This is not how I like doing business...
I will wait for my Z650 ride/3rd party on Monday and on Tuesday I decide what to do next.
Sell the albino CB1100 privately? Also consider using some forum classifieds, or sumthin like that? Facebook? (ick, but many seem to claim success)
 
Thread starter
Suddenly everything turned for the better.
Next week, after a long weekend, is the final decision.
:banana:
 
Thread starter
OK, here is my 2017 Z650 tester with 44K km and neglected with service , and I believe so identical twin engine, frame, wheels but different seat arrangement, so it felt bit too short as I couldn't move my bum any further back..ergonomics. The RS has a very comfy, one piece seat = no complaints.

14ce179daf74939457e03208a4d7ab4b.jpg


cbb962e3e0bf7780b094c04af707c940.jpg


Got this bike today and already clocked over 100 miles.
First impression:
1. city, when started, it idles like a sewing machine, or like a CB misfiring on 1-2 cylinders, the handlebar is kind of short
2*. taking off from first gear and I noticed jerky clutch, changing gears no problems, cluch cable bitt too stiff and kind of rough/notchy, definitely needs some lube or replacement
3*. the chain has way too much slack of 2 - 2-1/2" while specs calls for an inch
The chain double slack definitely has jerky influence, especially when riding in lower gears, changing gears, speed, acc & decc, city ridden
The front suspension was very "stiff", it had 38 psi while spec is 32 psi.
When got home, I set proper tire pressure and lube the chain before tomorrow's longer ride...may do chain slack as well??
For sure the new Z650RS won't have 1* & 2* problems, so we clarified this issues as no Z650RS fault.

This bike does not like 3000 or lower rpm when cruising in any gear, however is easy doable in 6th gear at 60 km/h and 3000 rpm but 2 cylinder vibration is noticeable.
Totally different animal when it reaches 4K rpm, very good throttle response/acceleration, and I was pleasantly impressed with its engine performance, especially from 4000+ rpm, at which the engine becomes very smooth as if it were a little I-4 CB
The Z650 feels much lighter then the CB.
I compared RS and CB 1/4 mile and 0-60 mile test and the Z650RS is only 0.2 - 0.3 sec behind our CB, not bad.
In my opinion, the Z650 is definitely not a mule.

Today's judgement: I start liking this bike and I know I have to accept its two-cylinder idling as normality.
I also wish I had the RS as a tester.
One more thing, If I buy it, I have to install the 2013 model L hand switches on my '14 DLX to mach Kawi arrangement, otherwise will get nuts when switching bikes.

Tomorrow is test #2..
 
Back
Top