2022 Kawasaki Z650RS

I guess I am just an old dinosaur purist fuddy duddy. Probably the lions share of us on The Forum have been riding for a long time, and consequently lived and rode through a big part of motorcycle evolution, probably spanning 40 years of more. I am into what I would consider the classic look. For me, part of that look is what I think is a more balanced exhaust appearance, with one or more cans ( depending on number of cylinders ) on each side of the bike.

I had a CB750 Four back in the day, and if it had not been that bike, it would have been a Kawasaki KZ900. Both were 4 into 4, and I liked the look as well as the sound. When the Z900RS was announced, I was hoping it would have the classic 4 into 4, or at least a 4 into 2, but no such luck as it is 4 into 1. Personal taste to be certain, but judging from how many of us have spent the dough to buy an aftermarket 4 into 4, I am guessing I am not alone in liking that look/sound. Could it be that the younger riders just dont know what they are missing? Personally, I think Kawasaki blew a golden opportunity with both the Z900RS and the Z650RS by not at least going to 4 into 2 for the 900, and 2 into 2 for the 650, but again that is just my personal taste different strokes for different folks.

Unfortunately water cooled seems to be the way of the future, and I suppose I could live with that, provided the radiator blends in well. Remember the Suzuki 750 Water Buffalo? IMHO, nothing beats the look of the cooling fins on the jugs of an air cooled motorcycle engine. By comparison the flat smooth housing around the jugs of a water cooled engine looks like an after thought.

Although I prefer classic spoke wheels regardless of the fact that they are a time consuming pain to keep clean, I can also accept the look and advantages of mag wheels. That is, provided the mag is not too radical, and somewhat in keeping with a classic look. Personally I think the gold wheels on the Z650RS look gaudy and do not compliment the look of the bike.

Whether we like it or not, the styling of modern motorcycles is gradually getting farther away from what we are accustomed to, and perhaps targeted to a younger demographic. I have no doubt though that classics will never go out of style.
 
Yes there are styling cues that appeal to me, and the reason, or one of the reasons I traded my 13 CB 1100 for a 14 DLX. 4 into 2 pipes and color matched side covers, silver motor and wheels were all things that spoke to me. (others were chrome fenders, round headlight, round mirrors, patterned seat, dual round gauges)

4639353b050b8e69bf3634d3d03283f2.jpg



My other bike has none of those lol, but I overlook that because it's just a tool for my daily rides.

966f1ab489e1086016a24c1716b27a85.jpg


Maybe I should change the names of them from the pleasure horse (CB1100) and the quarter horse (NC 750) to The Beauty(CB1100) and the Beast (NC 750) :rofl:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yes there are styling cues that appeal to me, and the reason, or one of the reasons I traded my 13 CB 1100 for a 14 DLX. 4 into 2 pipes and color matched side covers, silver motor and wheels were all things that spoke to me. (others were chrome fenders, round headlight, round mirrors, patterned seat, dual round gauges)

4639353b050b8e69bf3634d3d03283f2.jpg



My other bike has none of those lol, but I overlook that because it's just a tool for my daily rides.

966f1ab489e1086016a24c1716b27a85.jpg


Maybe I should change the names of them from the pleasure horse (CB1100) and the quarter horse (NC 750) to The Beauty(CB1100) and the Beast (NC 750) :rofl:
Yes!!
Ferret, you already possess jacket with green stripes, so definitely, you must match it with green Z650RS ..analog gauges + many more simple gizmos, exclusively designed for not so old rider with great riding experience!!!
Go for it gadget!!

e95678bbeb89d14fb1200002ec722c89.jpg

:cool:
 
Thread starter
I just compared the Z650RS/12L and Z900RS/17L fuel tanks with an online catalog and the rear mounting bracket/holes are further apart, plus 2 fuel line fittings sticking out of the Z900, which also does not have a front mounting bracket.
So, it's very hard to tell if these two would be interchangeable. .. may need to do some mods ???.
I will explore this matter further after looking at these two bikes.
The price for the green/17L is :huh: and I hope the Canadian one is lower.
Might contact Mr. T.
 
As far as quality goes....every kawasaki I've ever had was rock solid and trouble free. I wouldnt hesitate to buy any Kaw based on that issue
 
Thread starter
Thanks MrP
I knew this bike is due in spring '22.
Here is the email, I received today:

"Good morning and thank you for contacting us about the 2022 Kawasaki Z650 RS models. I happen to only have (1) left available that is expected for March/April ETA. This model I have coming is the 50th anniversary edition in the candy diamond brown colour. I am not sure if this bike will sell before it reaches the showroom, but I can definitely let you know if it shows up for you to come and see it."
:-/
 
Man, years ago, Scorpion made a helmet that is a perfect match for that new Kawi's color scheme.

I still have one. Way out of date, and I only use it as a backup, too pretty to throw away!
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Man, years ago, Scorpion made a helmet that is a perfect match for that new Kawi's color scheme.

I still have one. Way out of date, and I only use it as a backup, too pretty to throw away!

a0923722b8455ee163e13c2cbb2275d9.jpg
ee31881a52ed36772c16fccf5bbd3186.jpg


Indeed, it is :thumbsup:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Thanks MrP
I knew this bike is due in spring '22.
Here is the email, I received today:

"Good morning and thank you for contacting us about the 2022 Kawasaki Z650 RS models. I happen to only have (1) left available that is expected for March/April ETA. This model I have coming is the 50th anniversary edition in the candy diamond brown colour. I am not sure if this bike will sell before it reaches the showroom, but I can definitely let you know if it shows up for you to come and see it."
:-/
Plant the stash down PB and ride with pride in May.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Bet that is a hoot to ride Michael
Scares me sometimes. With the race headers/muffler, it wants to wheelie too much. I now see why they invented wheelie control. It is nice to be able to tame the beast when you want to. But it is lots of fun. Seems I go thru tires faster on this bike than I do the EX.
DaSwami_imp said:
I just can't do watercooled bikes.
One of the reasons our beloved CB1100 is no more!
 
Please don't take my comments as those from a Honda lover who can't see and like other bikes. Today I have had a first chance to see in real and sit on both, a 900rs and a 650rs, standing side by side. Here is my list of "don't work for me" items, which may be less visible in the glossy pictures.
- both bikes come with huge, and I mean huge cooling radiators, not a biggy seen from the side, but from the riding position ... ugly,
- plastic fenders look cheap, not sure they will last,
- 900rs engine looks a little retro, the 650 engine looks like a garden pump,
- the 900rs 's tank is way too big - not it's capacity - just the way it looks when you sit on her or from behind,
- what others said before, don't like the kinky pipes
- the large distance between saddle and wheel looks anything but retro to me.

What I liked in the 650rs (and not as much in her big brother) is her low weight, low COG, handling when you walk and push her - all in a grown-up, powerful street bike. Have a test ride coming end of the month, just because of this light feeling and touch. Sometimes I wish my CB was nearly as light, but I would exchange her for either of the RS.
Gone in 60_imp said:
Man, years ago, Scorpion made a helmet that is a perfect match for that new Kawi's color scheme.

I still have one. Way out of date, and I only use it as a backup, too pretty to throw away!
Almost a reason to by the Kawa, I agree !
 
Thread starter
Got a response to my email that the green Z650SR has been sold :s
Some salespeople are as good as weather terrorists.
 
Back
Top