2017 CB1100EX Color matched side covers

ceeko_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
I decided I wanted to see what it would look like with color matched side covers. I bought some OEM covers, and had them professionally painted by a local body shop. They used the factory color code to match paint. I think they turned out great.

That being said, after some back and forth, I've decided I'm going to stick with the stock covers after all, and think I'm going to try and sell these painted ones. It was worth the experiment, though, and I thought y'all might like seeing how they turned out:

6ad7a27cb5d561e55b06d84ef469aa9b.jpg


71e237c9e788a9cab57f4ed3fca31df4.jpg


4872e4ea6bba50fe8a354bf35038f26d.jpg


Original for comparison:
306d3163cac2565f14abb859325cc773.jpg
 
Indypikes_imp said:
I much prefer the red. Nice job.
Same with me. The 2013 CB in black was the only CB with matched color for side covers and tank. Didn't get the idea with silver.
 
Yes, same here. Colour-matched looks much better.

In "interior decorating" (not quite the same, I know!) the idea is to restrict colours to just TWO in a room. I think the same can be applied to good looking motorcycles - too many different colours/finishes and the 'bike looks 'bitty'. So, the black frame, silver (maybe black) engine, chrome bits, red tank, aluminium side panels... it's beginning to have too many different finishes. But a red tank, red side panels, then just chrome and black looks great.
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Yes, same here. Colour-matched looks much better.

In "interior decorating" (not quite the same, I know!) the idea is to restrict colours to just TWO in a room. I think the same can be applied to good looking motorcycles - too many different colours/finishes and the 'bike looks 'bitty'. So, the black frame, silver (maybe black) engine, chrome bits, red tank, aluminium side panels... it's beginning to have too many different finishes. But a red tank, red side panels, then just chrome and black looks great.
A black color set, a silver looking engine, some chrome here and there in combination with a golden shimmering exhaust system looks best in my eyes for the CB and a lot of other motorbikes too. You can't wrong with it. It's always fitting.
 
All red for me too.
 
ceeko_imp said:
I decided I wanted to see what it would look like with color matched side covers. I bought some OEM covers, and had them professionally painted by a local body shop. They used the factory color code to match paint. I think they turned out great.

That being said, after some back and forth, I've decided I'm going to stick with the stock covers after all, and think I'm going to try and sell these painted ones. It was worth the experiment, though, and I thought y'all might like seeing how they turned out:

6ad7a27cb5d561e55b06d84ef469aa9b.jpg


71e237c9e788a9cab57f4ed3fca31df4.jpg


4872e4ea6bba50fe8a354bf35038f26d.jpg


Original for comparison:
306d3163cac2565f14abb859325cc773.jpg
Interesting. When I look at the red cover photo, I'm drawn towards the curvy tank.

When I look at the silver cover photo, I'm drawn towards the the silver cover.
 
ceeko_imp said:
I decided I wanted to see what it would look like with color matched side covers. I bought some OEM covers, and had them professionally painted by a local body shop. They used the factory color code to match paint. I think they turned out great.

That being said, after some back and forth, I've decided I'm going to stick with the stock covers after all, and think I'm going to try and sell these painted ones. It was worth the experiment, though, and I thought y'all might like seeing how they turned out:

6ad7a27cb5d561e55b06d84ef469aa9b.jpg


71e237c9e788a9cab57f4ed3fca31df4.jpg


4872e4ea6bba50fe8a354bf35038f26d.jpg


Original for comparison:
306d3163cac2565f14abb859325cc773.jpg

Gorgeous!
 
When I bought my '13, it had red side covers. I asked the PO about it and he said he'd had it done at a shop. I like them a lot better than the stock covers, it sort of ties the whole together as one unit.
 
I have to be honest and I do like the red ones ! I had put silver ones on my 2017 but might have to rethink the whole set up on my bikes . I have a spare set of silver ones for my 2013 . Could I ask whom did your painting and at what price ?
 
ceeko_imp said:
I decided I wanted to see what it would look like with color matched side covers. I bought some OEM covers, and had them professionally painted by a local body shop. They used the factory color code to match paint. I think they turned out great.

That being said, after some back and forth, I've decided I'm going to stick with the stock covers after all, and think I'm going to try and sell these painted ones. It was worth the experiment, though, and I thought y'all might like seeing how they turned out:

6ad7a27cb5d561e55b06d84ef469aa9b.jpg


71e237c9e788a9cab57f4ed3fca31df4.jpg


4872e4ea6bba50fe8a354bf35038f26d.jpg


Original for comparison:
306d3163cac2565f14abb859325cc773.jpg
Nice!
 
Houtman_imp said:
I have to be honest and I do like the red ones ! I had put silver ones on my 2017 but might have to rethink the whole set up on my bikes . I have a spare set of silver ones for my 2013 . Could I ask whom did your painting and at what price ?
You put silver ones on your '17?
 
I would have to go with silver. It's one of the things that initially attracted me to my bike. Don't know why, I just like it.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I have to be honest and I do like the red ones ! I had put silver ones on my 2017 but might have to rethink the whole set up on my bikes . I have a spare set of silver ones for my 2013 . Could I ask whom did your painting and at what price ?
You put silver ones on your '17?
You put silver ones on your '17?
Yes , I did as at the time I did like the alloy silver ones and bought them from MR.T , now I am rethinking this !
 
Those side covers are polished by hand at the Kumamoto factory in Japan. I think it is a shame not to show off that handiwork! POLISHED cover by a mile!!! But a nice experiment indeed.
 
Back
Top