2017 CB1100EX Color matched side covers

Thread starter
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, I really was (am?) 50/50. The color matched looks great, but I think the silver covers make the tank "pop" in a nice way. All else aside, I lean towards sticking with stock. Maybe I'll change my mind next week. :P

To answer a question above, I got them done at a local shop and it was $200. I'd had him do some paint work on a past bike to good effect, though I'm getting the impression they aren't going out of their way looking for work like this, ha. Fortunately they've been indulging my odd jobs from time to time.
 
ceeko_imp said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, I really was (am?) 50/50. The color matched looks great, but I think the silver covers make the tank "pop" in a nice way. All else aside, I lean towards sticking with stock. Maybe I'll change my mind next week. :P

To answer a question above, I got them done at a local shop and it was $200. I'd had him do some paint work on a past bike to good effect, though I'm getting the impression they aren't going out of their way looking for work like this, ha. Fortunately they've been indulging my odd jobs from time to time.

Thanks, I have a local painter whom does small jobs like that .
 
Houtman_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I have to be honest and I do like the red ones ! I had put silver ones on my 2017 but might have to rethink the whole set up on my bikes . I have a spare set of silver ones for my 2013 . Could I ask whom did your painting and at what price ?
You put silver ones on your '17?
You put silver ones on your '17?
Yes , I did as at the time I did like the alloy silver ones and bought them from MR.T , now I am rethinking this !
You put silver ones on your '17?
Yes , I did as at the time I did like the alloy silver ones and bought them from MR.T , now I am rethinking this !
I guess I was thinking but the '17ex comes stock with silver covers so I was confused.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I have to be honest and I do like the red ones ! I had put silver ones on my 2017 but might have to rethink the whole set up on my bikes . I have a spare set of silver ones for my 2013 . Could I ask whom did your painting and at what price ?
You put silver ones on your '17?
You put silver ones on your '17?
Yes , I did as at the time I did like the alloy silver ones and bought them from MR.T , now I am rethinking this !
You put silver ones on your '17?
Yes , I did as at the time I did like the alloy silver ones and bought them from MR.T , now I am rethinking this !
I guess I was thinking but the '17ex comes stock with silver covers so I was confused.
My '17 EX came with the polished silver covers, which I like. But those matching reds are pretty sharp!
 
I made a mistake in a previous post , I did put the silver side covers on my 2014 and NOT my 2017. Am I "getting" old ???
Peter's answer : you ARE old !
 
Houtman_imp said:
I made a mistake in a previous post , I did put the silver side covers on my 2014 and NOT my 2017. Am I "getting" old ???
Peter's answer : you ARE old !
Ok, that's what I thought! Now I feel young again!!

ceeko, I would not be quick to sell the red covers. You could have a new looking bike each time you switch them out.
 
I really like the red sidecovers, but it's a shame to cover up that aluminum finish. I can't think of any Honda with metal sidecovers since the 305s.
 
Thread starter
Hey all, I decided I am selling these, will entertain any offer. Technically they cost over $500 (OEM side covers are expensive, plus professional paint job) but I’m not gonna ask for that, of course, so please just offer whatever they might be worth to you. Happy to take a hit on this fun experiment. Thanks!
 
I know that a few pages back, I voted for silver, saying that it was one of the things that attracted me to the bike when it came out in '13. However, when Elipten put his custom '13 painted side covers for sale here on the forum, I snapped them up. I really love them and will be keeping my original silvers wrapped and stored with the rest of the OEM parts.

That being said, I have some thoughts on why Honda may have gone with silver side panels instead of matching red on the '13, '17 and '19 (U.S. Market, at least). The tank has lots of curved surfaces, while the side covers are a flat surface. With the way light hits the two parts, the pearl or candy base causes reflections that sort of bend the colors. In shade, like this picture, the color looks like it matches perfectly. But, in some light, at some angles, the flat side panels look darker than the rounded tank. In fact, based on the pictures that Elipten posted with his classified ad, I asked him to confirm that the color was indeed '13 Glory Red.

It doesn't bother me, because I know that the colors really do match, and that any variance is a play of light. On a black '14 standard, it wouldn't matter. But, the matching red side covers on the '14 Deluxe are curved, not flat, making the colors change at the same hues on the tank and covers.

Maybe going with a completely different silver color on the flat side panels was a decision to prevent buyers from complaining about colors not matching between the tank and sides.
 
pdedse_imp said:
ceeko_imp said:
I decided I wanted to see what it would look like with color matched side covers. I bought some OEM covers, and had them professionally painted by a local body shop. They used the factory color code to match paint. I think they turned out great.

That being said, after some back and forth, I've decided I'm going to stick with the stock covers after all, and think I'm going to try and sell these painted ones. It was worth the experiment, though, and I thought y'all might like seeing how they turned out:

6ad7a27cb5d561e55b06d84ef469aa9b.jpg


71e237c9e788a9cab57f4ed3fca31df4.jpg


4872e4ea6bba50fe8a354bf35038f26d.jpg


Original for comparison:
306d3163cac2565f14abb859325cc773.jpg
Interesting. When I look at the red cover photo, I'm drawn towards the curvy tank.

When I look at the silver cover photo, I'm drawn towards the the silver cover.
Interesting. When I look at the red cover photo, I'm drawn towards the curvy tank.

When I look at the silver cover photo, I'm drawn towards the the silver cover.
The Sun was on the tank in picture 1 but you can see it has moved off the tank in picture 2, maybe that explains why your eye was drawn?

Red gets my vote.
 
Following up on my comments a moment ago, I just glanced up from doing some paperwork in my warehouse, and caught my bike from a different angle. Note the perceived difference in shades of red between the side and tank.
 
Back
Top