2017 CB1100 Revealed

uscgmac_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
uscgmac_imp said:
With the amount of awesome new bikes being produced Honda needs to really step it up. BMW now has a cheaper version of the nineT in a scrambler package which will sell like crazy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Sell like crazy? I haven't seen a single RNineT on the road since they came out. I know Triumph Bonnevilles sell well, too, but can't say I've seen more than one or two of those on the road, either. I've seen more very expensive BMW K bikes than I have naked standards. The most thing I've seen is Ninja 250-300, Honda 250-300's, and 600-1000cc sport bikes. Everything else is merely a whisper. I'd love to know what people are doing with these bikes they buy.
Sell like crazy? I haven't seen a single RNineT on the road since they came out. I know Triumph Bonnevilles sell well, too, but can't say I've seen more than one or two of those on the road, either. I've seen more very expensive BMW K bikes than I have naked standards. The most thing I've seen is Ninja 250-300, Honda 250-300's, and 600-1000cc sport bikes. Everything else is merely a whisper. I'd love to know what people are doing with these bikes they buy. I said the newer, cheaper scrambler, not the regular nineT. It's a new bike so they may be popping up. It all depends on where you are as well. These bikes (nineT) are all over New York City and the metro area. Same with the Ducati Scrambler and the triumphs, very popular in NYC and surrounding areas. Lots of dealer support in this area for these imports. If someone lives in let's say a more rural, less populated area it may be different.


Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Sell like crazy? I haven't seen a single RNineT on the road since they came out. I know Triumph Bonnevilles sell well, too, but can't say I've seen more than one or two of those on the road, either. I've seen more very expensive BMW K bikes than I have naked standards. The most thing I've seen is Ninja 250-300, Honda 250-300's, and 600-1000cc sport bikes. Everything else is merely a whisper. I'd love to know what people are doing with these bikes they buy. I said the newer, cheaper scrambler, not the regular nineT. It's a new bike so they may be popping up. It all depends on where you are as well. These bikes (nineT) are all over New York City and the metro area. Same with the Ducati Scrambler and the triumphs, very popular in NYC and surrounding areas. Lots of dealer support in this area for these imports. If someone lives in let's say a more rural, less populated area it may be different.


Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk That bike appeals to me as well.
 
The news from Australia is not good, although one bloke in one dealer may not be a completely accurate prediction. :P
 
Been away from this great site for a few months after buying a Guzzi V711 Special. The 2017 CB1100 is on my list to ride next year - though I'm still (perplexingly to some, I'm sure) deterred by the weight.

Beerman
 
Beerman, just curious... What is it about the weight that deters you? Are you small? older? frail? Do you have medical issues? Balance issues? Would you have to back it uphill out of a garage? Im about as small as they come at 5'6", 27" inseam. Old too at a soon to be 67 and not very strong ( I would struggle lifting a 50 pound bag of sand... I'm sure I couldn't lift one over my head). Other than the ocassional backing up, and lifting it off the side stand, there is not much involved that would make you notice the weight. It balances on it's wheels just fine. The power is so, that it's very easy to ride at anything above a walking pace. Truthfully for me the weight is not a concern at all.

My other bike weighs 142 pounds more than the CB dlx and the only time weight is an issue with it, is lifting it off the sidestand (especially with a passenger,) and backing it up, uphill. Once upright though riding it is no issue, as again you are balanced on the wheels.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Beerman, just curious... What is it about the weight that deters you? Are you small? older? frail? Do you have medical issues? Balance issues? Would you have to back it uphill out of a garage? Im about as small as they come at 5'6", 27" inseam. Old too at a soon to be 67 and not very strong ( I would struggle lifting a 50 pound bag of sand... I'm sure I couldn't lift one over my head). Other than the ocassional backing up, and lifting it off the side stand, there is not much involved that would make you notice the weight. It balances on it's wheels just fine. The power is so, that it's very easy to ride at anything above a walking pace. Truthfully for me the weight is not a concern at all.

My other bike weighs 142 pounds more than the CB dlx and the only time weight is an issue with it, is lifting it off the sidestand (especially with a passenger,) and backing it up, uphill. Once upright though riding it is no issue, as again you are balanced on the wheels.
Ferret, to be fair, you do claim to be a rider of 'modest spirit,' ( I say that with peace and love!) so the weight of the CB may not hinder the way you ride, or be noticeable at sub- sonic speeds and road twistiness. I can say that the CB's weightiness does impact more spirited riding, not that it's a pig by any means. But it weighs about 60 LB's more than my Tiger 800, which is kinda ridiculous. I do have access to a number of bikes to compare it to regularly, both in garage pushing around and riding...and the CB does just fine...for a slightly tubby gal!
 
Ferret, Thanks for posting what you replied to Beerman. I owned my CB1100 of only a month now (85 miles) and in back of my mind, I can not shake the thought that I made a big mistake buying my new CB 1100 due to my physical limitations. I am a shrinking 66 year old (5' 11" to 5' 8") with two types of arthritis. I too have lost a lot of strength. My main ride for decades has been my 67 CB77 SH. So when I was moving my CB1100 around the garage, learning how to put it up on the center kick stand. I was afraid I was going to drop the bike. (A few youtube videos helped me with that.)

The few times I was able to ride the CB1100, I felt the bike was made for me. Easy to handle, well balanced, and brakes that react much quicker than my CB77 drum brakes. I need more riding experience and practice to get comfortable with the CB1100 in the event I need to react during an emergency maneuver.

Your post will put my mind at ease until Spring finally arrives! Thanks
 
Thread starter
suhawk, you should be fine once you get some garage pushing and riding experience, the CB is a well- balanced bike. Don't over think it.
 
On the subject of weight, when I first got the CB It was by far the heaviest in my "fleet" and at first I wondered if I had made a mistake.
It seemed so heavy to balance and move around, but with a little time and experience it became second nature and a non issue.
Of course the bike isn't any lighter, and I'm not getting any younger, but it was just a matter of getting used to it and handling it.
But I am extra careful moving it around on foot and in slow maneuvers because I don't ever want to be in the position of having to pick it up.
Believe me, I did not make a mistake. It's the star of the fleet :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Capo.. I realize the CB is no " lightweight" as say a 250 CBR would be, and it's weight may be a slight hindrance in ultra tight stuff when canyon riding, but remembering the French Freddie Spencer ad, it can certainly be run briskly by someone who knows what they are doing.

However judging by his current choice of a 48 hp Moto Guzzi V7 Special, I don't think razor edge handling, and canyon or track racing is his choice of riding style either. There must be something else about the weight of the CB that has him concerned. We have a bunch of small, old guys on this forum for which the CB's weight is not an issue (I see about 25 of them every year at the rally lol). Would it hurt the CB to weigh 50 pounds less? Of course not. But it doesn't weigh 50 pounds less, so we have to figure out what it is about the current weight, that is causing him treppidation.

With regards to weight, some weight adds stability in " regular" riding IMO. I have ridden my daughter in laws Kaw Ninja 300 and my sons Ducacti 696 monter and both felt " twitchy" to me as best I can describe it. Input is so immediate and abrupt, as to be disconcerting at times. Great in tight turns, but requires too much attention to the task at hand for simple pleasure riding for me. I don't need or necessarily want things to happen that fast, and on the freeway you get blown about like a fresh fallen oak leaf if your bike doesn't have some weight/ stability.

There has to be a balance with weight..too much is bad, but too little is bad as well IMO.
 
Hey, no sullying the V7! It's actually very capable in the twisties (the 400 lb dry weight and tall, narrow tires really help!). So there.
 
Nice bike, don't mean to sully it, but would not be my choice of a twisties weapon if that were my passion. 48 hp, single disc front brake, shaft drive? ... the Triumph 675 R or a Ducati Monster, or Yamaha FZ09, or Suzuki GSX-S750 or a Suzuki SV650 even, or any true sport bike might be my choice.

I wouldn't choose a CB1100 for a twisties weapon either btw
 
I reduced weight on my CB by going with a full Titanium Exhaust and removed center stand. In early 2017, I'll replace OEM battery with a made in USA Lithium battery http://earthxbatteries.com/shop/ETX18C
also going to purchase aluminum body Works Billet Tracker shocks to replace my IKONS. This is probably a 20lb reduction in weight (totally guessing here).
 
I want to say that I like the weight of the bike and I didn't buy the CB to blast through the twisties. It's not a sport bike (frame or powertrain) . It's plenty competent at what I need it to do. I think the weight of the bike is part of what gives it such a solid and excellent road feel.
 
Timpo_imp said:
so is this officially coming to USA/Canada as 2017 model?
I check the Honda Canada website everyday hoping they will offer the 2017 CB1100 EX. But I am not confident that will happen. We never did get a chance to buy the Deluxe model.

Instead they keep dumping the ugly dawgs on us like this years model with its tacky racing flag stripes and blackened engine.

a32e0172ab770f4671f4d6faf7c0608b.png


I guess they are too young to know what a heritage air-cooled 4-cylinder Honda should look like.
 
Thread starter
Weight is a state of mind. I say this to my scale every morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top