2017 CB1100 price $12,199 plus shipping

TCBronson_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I just saw the price on Honda's website for the new 2017 CB1100 and it's listed at $12,199 plus shipping, wow! I am a little surprised and thought it would have been closer to $10,000. Makes me want to keep my 2013.
 
Stopped by my local Honda dealer today and asked if they were getting any 2017 CBs. Sales manager stated they had not ordered or requested them.
 
In part I think an initial--for me high--msrp is what got the cb1100 off to a difficult start in '13...and lack of exposure, marketing. I remember walking into the dealership to see it for the first time at 10k plus, thinking "nice bike!"...about 2k overpriced. Two years later the price on '14 stnd droppd to just under 8k (a year ago, even lower now?) and that seemed reasonable. At 12k+...I think they're about 1.5 to 2k too high...again.
 
Lots of new bikes are available second hand slightly used for 40% off MSRP, not just the CB.
Last year I bought the Moto Guzzi California Touring with just a few hundred miles on it for 10 Grand. IIRC, the P/O paid over $21,000 for it.
 
$12,199 is a lot of money but Triumph doesn't seem to have much difficulty selling T120 Bonnevilles for about the same price. I'd argue both bikes are intended to appeal to a similar demographic, though Honda may be going after a slightly younger audience with the styling of the new CB. Marketing is the difference! I agree the CB will probably languish, which would be unfortunate.
 
Here is an add for a new 2013 dirt cheap.

Given the experience for the dealer and us owners, I would say while I love my bikes, I would not buy one new again. Too much rapid depreciation

0437c71e047887a4f41bc8d1cd1f4259.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
That is a steal. Maybe we're saying the same thing, but depreciation on a new leftover 4-year old motorcycle simply reflects supply and demand. Honda overestimated the demand for the bike, priced it too high, and imported too many. Those who wanted one, bought one. Once the demand was fulfilled, Honda was left holding the bag. The lack of marketing only exacerbated the problem, but I'd contend the cost of an effective marketing campaign probably wouldn't have paid for itself.
 
I believe MSRP on the '14 DLX was $11,899. A $300 increase 3 years later is actually less than I would have expected.
 
When I bought my DLX in May 2015 they were still offering $1,000.00 Honda Bonus Bucks. So I paid $10,899.00. The dealer wouldn't negotiate on the price because he was having dealers from all the country calling him after I had put a deposit it.
 
I can't say that the price is all that surprising. I wouldn't have expected it to be any lower than this.

We talk a lot here about the lack of marketing for these bikes, or the high prices, demand for the bikes or the lack thereof. It's easy to forget that we are a very small group of active members here on this forum and that can sometimes skew our vision a bit. The CB1100 has always been priced pretty high and there has never been a big demand for these bikes. We often talk about the untapped demand for the 2014 DLX, but in reality Honda might not have been all that far off by just bringing in a few hundred examples of that model. A couple hundred more and there might still be some left sitting in dealer showrooms to this day. The average guy walking into a Honda dealer might think "nice bike" or "that's amusing" — they don't react to the CB1100 the same way most of us here on the forum do.

I'm guessing that there wont be all that many 2017 CB1100s showing up in dealer showrooms. Those who simply must have one will pay up right away. Others will wait for dealers to make deals or for used examples to hit the market. But those might be harder to find if dealers aren't inclined to order the 2017 CB1100 to begin with. If I really wanted one, I probably wouldn't be waiting around for too long.
 
Yep I think it is a low demand bike so big market program costs will not be recovered by increased sales. I also think the bike appeals to an older demographic and hence many can not ride as much as they want for various reasons and when they can not ride for various reasons low mileage bikes are then sold at low prices.. Hence all of this results in poor resale values. I do think new it is fairly to slightly high priced but one has to consider it is Japanese made not in other lower cost countries. This results in higher cost product.

The younger generation of riders are not attracted to this bike and they are cash strapped for a recreational toy.

I just figure it is what it is and I can afford whatever I want. I think the bike is a fantastic buy at the current low prices.

A smart young man would buy one and store it away as a possible GB500 type situation in 20 years. But I'll be 81 in 20 years and could give a darn if I am still alive.

So bottom line, buy what makes you happy and can afford. But a CB1100 new for $5500 is a bargain when I see 30 year old bikes that will need thousands in rubber parts replaced and dry grease in the bearings that sell in the $3-4K range and they are still not as good in breaking, or performance.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
was watching the AZ SX race on TV last night and saw a real cool ad for the Suzuki SV 650..a $6995 retail bike. Silently wished it was a CB ad
 
Guth nailed it.

This time Honda IS featuring the CB on its web site fairly prominently and you catch a couple glances of it on the Honda Moto 2017 vid.

It's a niche bike though. With no real model lineup, accessory catalog or customization options, Honda will once again cede the retro market to Triumph and BMW with some small share to MotoGuzzi. I'm just glad they're still trying.
 
Guth_imp said:
I can't say that the price is all that surprising. I wouldn't have expected it to be any lower than this.

We talk a lot here about the lack of marketing for these bikes, or the high prices, demand for the bikes or the lack thereof. It's easy to forget that we are a very small group of active members here on this forum and that can sometimes skew our vision a bit. The CB1100 has always been priced pretty high and there has never been a big demand for these bikes. We often talk about the untapped demand for the 2014 DLX, but in reality Honda might not have been all that far off by just bringing in a few hundred examples of that model. A couple hundred more and there might still be some left sitting in dealer showrooms to this day. The average guy walking into a Honda dealer might think "nice bike" or "that's amusing" — they don't react to the CB1100 the same way most of us here on the forum do.

I'm guessing that there wont be all that many 2017 CB1100s showing up in dealer showrooms. Those who simply must have one will pay up right away. Others will wait for dealers to make deals or for used examples to hit the market. But those might be harder to find if dealers aren't inclined to order the 2017 CB1100 to begin with. If I really wanted one, I probably wouldn't be waiting around for too long.
That's my strategy. The first time around I wanted to make sure I got one, so I ended up paying full list price when they first showed up on the floor (ouch!). My plan this time around is to pick up a leftover or very lightly used one to replace my aging CB750. Since I already have one, I'm not nearly as desperate to hand over my cash this time :D
 
Once you get yours we'll have to meet up - not sure I want to get a 17, my 13 is doing a good job pushing all my buttons. And I'm not keen on having two of them. I like diversity. :)
 
Back
Top