2017 CB1100 price $12,199 plus shipping

Rboe_imp said:
Once you get yours we'll have to meet up - not sure I want to get a 17, my 13 is doing a good job pushing all my buttons. And I'm not keen on having two of them. I like diversity. :)
Rboe, who is it you'll have to meet up with "when they get theirs"? Flynrider? He's had a CB1100 for a couple of years.
 
Guth_imp said:
I can't say that the price is all that surprising. I wouldn't have expected it to be any lower than this.

We talk a lot here about the lack of marketing for these bikes, or the high prices, demand for the bikes or the lack thereof. It's easy to forget that we are a very small group of active members here on this forum and that can sometimes skew our vision a bit. The CB1100 has always been priced pretty high and there has never been a big demand for these bikes. We often talk about the untapped demand for the 2014 DLX, but in reality Honda might not have been all that far off by just bringing in a few hundred examples of that model. A couple hundred more and there might still be some left sitting in dealer showrooms to this day. The average guy walking into a Honda dealer might think "nice bike" or "that's amusing" — they don't react to the CB1100 the same way most of us here on the forum do.

I'm guessing that there wont be all that many 2017 CB1100s showing up in dealer showrooms. Those who simply must have one will pay up right away. Others will wait for dealers to make deals or for used examples to hit the market. But those might be harder to find if dealers aren't inclined to order the 2017 CB1100 to begin with. If I really wanted one, I probably wouldn't be waiting around for too long.

Yes, I was one of those average dude walking into a Honda dealer and thinking "nice bike". But I was a little more foolish than the average guy, as I asked to test ride it. I was sold after the ride.
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
I've seen leftover '14's for $9500.00 in the Northeast but there are not many out there in general.
Leftover 14s for 9500.00. I hope that's for a deluxe because leftover 14 standards are going for 6999 to 7999 around me in the N.Y. metro and Long Island area.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
No this one dealer will keep them literally for years at the dealer discount to cover his costs. But doesn't hurt to ask. He still has a 2011 CB1000R for $3000 off MSRP.

uscgmac_imp said:
nhawk7504_imp said:
I've seen leftover '14's for $9500.00 in the Northeast but there are not many out there in general.
Leftover 14s for 9500.00. I hope that's for a deluxe because leftover 14 standards are going for 6999 to 7999 around me in the N.Y. metro and Long Island area.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Leftover 14s for 9500.00. I hope that's for a deluxe because leftover 14 standards are going for 6999 to 7999 around me in the N.Y. metro and Long Island area.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I'm really liking the 2017's, and having a 6-spd would definitely be nice. However, my biggest roadblock to getting one is that I'm not sure my $800 dollar Staintune exhaust on my 13 would fit the new bike.

Yeah, it's only $800 bucks. But it's $800 bucks!
 
TCBronson_imp said:
I just saw the price on Honda's website for the new 2017 CB1100 and it's listed at $12,199 plus shipping, wow! I am a little surprised and thought it would have been closer to $10,000. Makes me want to keep my 2013.
The 1969 CB750k had an introductory price of $1495, but most dealers quickly raised the price to $1800 to $2000 which in today's dollars is about $11,600 to $12,200; also the Yen is much stronger now than in the 70s. However, the CB1100 is a much better bike than the original CB750k. I think the problem facing the CB1100 is there are other choices in its selling price range. I also think if Honda would improve the look of the side panels and air covers, the CB1100 would be a much more attractive bike. I just wish other manufacturers would make bikes that look normal instead of the megatron look and also with analog gauges instead LCD. I am looking forward to the 2017, hope they look good in person as they do in pictures.
 
In 2015 I bought a 2014 CB 1100 black standard from the showroom floor which was being priced at ten five. I offered nine and both of our sides compromised and added all the expenses: license, tax, freight, set-up, excess cream for my coffee . . .

I put down two grand I had from the sale of my Tuono and started making payments. Around November of 2016 I went to the Progressive show in Long Beach due to an itch I could not scratch but absolutely loving my CB. At a Yamaha demo day at my local dealership shortly after that, I saw my Honda model on the dealer's floor for seven grand. I owe just under that at this point so no selling likely for a change to new.

I really like the 2017 EX model and would pull the trigger if no bike in house, or I was in a different position in the order of cycles in my life. I've in the past repeated purchases of individual bikes I've highly admired. Is the revealed SRP worth it compared to prices for say a performance standard such as the new Tuono, the Super Duke, the BMW S1000r or the etc., etc., etc? -Not an engineer, a bean counter or knowledgeable in any way about the R&D investment costs, electronic costs, the fine suspension componentry costs involved but, pound-for-pound the company produced a desired performance outcome for it's target audience and I have to feel that it has a right to every penny they can negotiate of the new sticker price. They made something excellent in a particular, a not entirely compatible bike type.

So many motorcycle choices this day must appear as fine swords did to past warriors seeking the right tool*.

We can choose our weapon from the vast array of models from the remaining motorcycle companies. It's a cornucopia out there and the manufacturers . . . this manufacturer deserves a nice profit for its efforts. If this bike successfully ticks off the boxes more than any other bike for a particular shopper, it's a win for everybody.

*P.S.: Buy a sword. Name it kindness. Kill people with kindness. (SunFrog T-shirt wordplay re: "Game of Thrones").
 
I ride a CB500XA that is perfectly suitable for my age and riding habits. It was paid for the day I bought it, and has been a lot of fun ever since. It is light and nimble and surprizing quick for a 500cc motorcycle.

But I have already put my deposit down on a 2017 CB1100 EX. Why? Ever since I saw pictures of the 2014 CB1100 Deluxe, I wanted one. To me it is the best looking motorcycle I have seen in a long time. But they were never sold here in Canada, and importing one would have been too expensive because of the currency exchange rate and taxes.

Now that the 2017 CB1100 EX is going to be sold here, my 3 year wait is finally over. Although it is not as pretty as the Deluxe model, it certainly will meet my needs. As the Rolling Stones once sang, "You can't always get what you want, but if try real hard you get what you need".

While performance and price are large factors in any motorcycle purchase. I believe the final choice is usually made on looks. How many times have you seen people on this forum text that they smile every time they pass their CB1100 in the garage.
 
Bighonda14_imp said:
Anyone know when the 2017's will make it to dealers in the US?
I've seen a few motorcycle publications saying it'll be available in May. If the 2013/14 are any indication an April/May timeframe would be about right.
 
The 2017 looks nice, I like the twin exhausts and the new beefier looking tank. Spokes are a nice touch, tubeless rims I assume right? There are definately more state of the art standard bikes on the market with a bunch more performance which is a great thing for the riding public. Choice and competition generally bring about discounts eventually.

There was a time that I thought I would buy an old cb750 and restore it but the lust just kinda faded. Haven't bought a bike in 6 years so until I feel that urge to spend cash the machines I have will be what I will ride.
 
Well heck!!!!I guess it really is going retro. I owned many a bike with tubes and spoke wheels in the past but they were cheap $1000 or less old ujms. Given the choice I gotta say it would be hard not to look at the suzuki gsxs1000, FZ-10, even the bandit 1250 for a more modern feel. Darn, spokes were the mark of a budget street bike back in the day, cast wheels meant deluxe.

I get that the cb's mission is to be a retro experience down to the spokes which is pretty cool ..but..... What would make me interested in spending cash is a freddie spencer replica with the 80's F model body work using a spiced up cb1100 engine with some top end to it. While I'm hallucinating lets add some serious suspension, 17 wheels, modern tubless sticky ickies, hellified brakes, room for two and what the heck abs. If they could get the power up to the 1983 cb1100f levels I would consider it at 12k.
 
Back in my day spokes/ tubes were on every new bike even the most expensive ones. I bought a set of Lester Mag wheels for my KZ1000 Kawasaki,(the most powerful bike of the day), in 1977 which came with spoke wheels. Few bikes had mags. They had to be bought from the aftermarket.

The 1976 Yamaha RD400 was the first production bike from a major manufacturer to come with Mag wheels stock (but still used tubes). In 1977 Honda introduced the Comstart wheel (a multi piece riveted design) and was the first manufacturer to offer tubeless tires as standard equipment.

My 2003 Triumph came with spokes and tubes. My brothers 2016 Triumph also came with spokes and tubes.
 
Ferret, my '78 CB750F2 came with Comstars and I'm pretty sure they had tubes. I'll check my owner's manual tonight. I used to run bias-ply Continental K112's on the rear (and RB2's on the front) -- remember those? They were the PR4's of the day!
 
well since you said that I went and did some research and what I found out was, surprisingly enough, there are two versions of the early silver SOHC 750 comstars - tube and tubeless. Although they were designed to be tubeless some of the early ones were shipped with tubes in the tires. If they have a metal retaining nut on the valve stem they are tubed. Some of the wheels were also stamped tubeless and some were not according to what I can dig up.

this from Wiki

The Comstar was Honda's replacement for the tension spoked wheel. Whilst spoked wheels offered a degree of flexibility to help absorb road imperfections, they also required periodic maintenance to ensure correct spoke tension and required the fitment of an inner tube. Honda claimed the Comstar design combined the strength of a cast wheel but allowed a predetermined level of radial flex like spoked wheels.[7]:27 Comstar wheels also allowed the fitment of tubeless tyres which, like other alloy wheels,[8] helped to reduce unsprung mass,[9] although not all models fitted with Comstars had tubeless tyres....... Honda first fitted Comstars to its road going motorcycles in 1977 on models such as the CB400T Dream, CB750F2 and the later flagship CBX1000.
 
Wiki can certainly be fishy.
I don't think the 400T was ever referred to as a 'dream'. I've owned a couple of them. They did have Comstars and I recall they were tubeless.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Once you get yours we'll have to meet up - not sure I want to get a 17, my 13 is doing a good job pushing all my buttons. And I'm not keen on having two of them. I like diversity. :)
Rboe, who is it you'll have to meet up with "when they get theirs"? Flynrider? He's had a CB1100 for a couple of years.
Rboe, who is it you'll have to meet up with "when they get theirs"? Flynrider? He's had a CB1100 for a couple of years.
Flynrider. When he gets the 2017 model.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Ferret, my '78 CB750F2 came with Comstars and I'm pretty sure they had tubes. I'll check my owner's manual tonight. I used to run bias-ply Continental K112's on the rear (and RB2's on the front) -- remember those? They were the PR4's of the day!
From my '78 CB750F2 owner's manual:

"Riding with underinflated tires will cause the tires to slip on the rims damaging the inner tube valves."

"We recommend that punctured inner tubes be replaced. Inner tubes should be patched only in emergency situations when replacement tubes are not available."

"The innertube size must correspond with the tire casing size or it will cause the tube to wrinkle or to be stretched beyond its designed capacity. In either case the innertube will be weakened increasing the possibility of failure."

And then it describes how to remove and replace a tire, being careful to not pinch or puncture the innertube.

And now that I remember it, I had a flat tire on this bike in 1979 near Boulder, CO, and had to have the bike towed to the shop to have the tube replaced. It was on a Sunday.

Also, for kicks, the OE tires were a Dunlop K87 Mark II on the rear and a Dunlop F6 on the front, apparently for use with or without a tube according to this period advertisement:

https://books.google.com/books?id=i8_7wR...II&f=false

But the Conti K112 / RB2 that I used were only available in tube-type for the sizes required (4.00H18 / 3.25H19). Too bad new tires aren't this inexpensive anymore.
 
Back
Top