2014 Std - First Set of Accessories

Elipten_imp said:
And regular air you breath is 78 % nitrogen. So you are only gaining 22% of nitrogen by getting rid of the oxygen
My wife's new Buick came with N2 filled tires. The salesman made a big deal out of it in front of her. So, several months later when one of the tires was low, she caught me filling it with my air compressor in the garage. Raised a real stink about it, said her car needed nitrogen in the tires only. So I told her that I modified my air compressor to run 79% pure nitrogen instead of just regular air. She bought it. Said ok, just don't run regular air on her car.
 
Rhinosaurus_imp said:
husky385_imp said:
OK I'll bite. Why would you want to fill the tires with nitrogen instead of air? Curious minds want to know.
Kevin
I had to Google it myself... Long story short, regular air in your tires contain oxygen. Oxygen = moisture, which in turn leads to potential long term damage to your wheels and tires.

Here is a good article about it:
Benefits of Nitrogen - NitroFill
I had to Google it myself... Long story short, regular air in your tires contain oxygen. Oxygen = moisture, which in turn leads to potential long term damage to your wheels and tires.

Here is a good article about it:
Benefits of Nitrogen - NitroFill
Once I remove that monstrosity of an oil cooler Ill have the perfect place to mount my spare nitrogen cylinder in case of flats ....
 
venturer434_imp said:
Rhinosaurus_imp said:
It's looking really good so far... I went the other direction with mine, replacing most of the chrome on my '14 Std with black accessories (fenders, grab bar, engine guards, exhaust).

I never thought about nitrogen for my bike tires. How did you go about getting it done... Just visit a local tire shop? How much $ did it run you (if you don't mind me asking)?
Thanks Rhinosaurus.. Please post some pictures of your bike so that the forum members can see? With regards to Nitrogen I know the local shop as I had filled my car and other motorcycle with 100 % nitrogen some months back.. so in this case I didn't pay anything. Just go and check your local tire shop and ask for quotes.. it should not be too expensive
Rocky_imp said:
I like that rack too, but I already have the Honda rack.
I recommend a Pyramid fenda extenda (fender extender) which helps keep crap off the engine.




Thanks for the suggestion.. Ordered one :thumbsup:

Thanks Rhinosaurus.. Please post some pictures of your bike so that the forum members can see? With regards to Nitrogen I know the local shop as I had filled my car and other motorcycle with 100 % nitrogen some months back.. so in this case I didn't pay anything. Just go and check your local tire shop and ask for quotes.. it should not be too expensive


Here are some pics of my bike... as I said, I went towards more black with just chrome accents.

[attachment=4933][attachment=4934][attachment=4935][attachment=4936][attachment=4937]
 
The tire folks at Costco claim nitrogen leaks out of tires more slowly than regular air, so less maintenance is required, hence its benefit to typical drivers. I check my tires frequently, so probably less of a benefit for me, and not worth the hassle of riding somewhere just to have my tires topped off. But it's all good. That black-with-chrome CB looks really good!
 
Thats because N2 molecules are larger that O2 molecules. So, wait for it, over time more O2 leaks out than N2 and eventually I'll have all N2 in my tires as I fill it with regular air. And thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
 
That's my theory as well. Air is 78% nitrogen. If my math is right, it should only take a few top-offs to be running 99% nitrogen.
 
Next will be putting Argon in the tires. Seems to me air filled tires have been around 100 years and doing just fine. Besides motorcycle toted wear out fast, or age out. So I suspect moisture not a big issue.

I'll stick with air as I have my own compressor. Getting a N2 system in my garage is not happening.

Now what really p'd me off was getting new tires on my truck on Sunday. Had to replace all the pressure monitors at $70 each! They would not install regular valve stems. Federal law. Too much government intervention, but then I guess most are never checking anything on their vehicles. I just hope it never comes to any motorcycle I own. Thank goodness the CB does not have it. I love technology but there are limits
 
I believe they are supposed to last for ~10 years. When the battery goes you need new sensors. Didn't know it was the law though. I have them on my car and if they fail I do want them replaced.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Thats because N2 molecules are larger that O2 molecules. So, wait for it, over time more O2 leaks out than N2 and eventually I'll have all N2 in my tires as I fill it with regular air. And thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
Actually nitrogen's molecular weight is less than oxygen, 28 vs 32. That said, oxygen is extremely corrosive. That is where the term oxidation comes from. So, in theory the lack of oxygen in the inside of the tires may have some benefit however, I doubt it overrides the external oxidation or wear of the tire. I would think the tires will wear out long before the small amount of oxygen inside would make any appreciable difference. The inside of the rims may get some advantage but, I don't recall any instances were the internal oxidation, of a modern alloy rim, was an issue.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Ok, I said molecule and should have said atom. I am obvioulsy not a chemist so Google is my friend. It turns out the O2 atom does have a highter weight, but N2 is larger. Read some, or all, of this: http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf
 
And just for FYI as we're on this topic...

What does a green valve stem cap mean?

These caps indicate the type of air that is in the tire. Nitrogen tires have a blue or green cap on the valve stem and regular tires will have a black or silver cap on the valve stem.
 
I want to know how do they get 100% nitrogen into a tire? Do they vacuum out the air before filing it? If not, they are simply adding nitrogen to the air already in the tire when it is mounted. There would still be oxygen and water vapor present in your tires.
 
Good point Kenny! Never thought of that. Personally I've always thought the nitrogen in passenger vehicle tires was mostly just nonsense and added profit for the dealer, or whoever sells N2. Racing, etc. well, different matter I guess.

I work as a civilian in Navy aviation and the Navy does use dry nitrogen in aircraft tires for all the reasons like corrosion, etc. Also in the big airborne radar I work on we use dry nitrogen in part of the transmission line to increase dielectric strength. But being dry, it also helps prevent corrosion. The rest of the line uses filtered and dried bleed air from the engines.
 
In spite of the fact that the world supply is getting low, I run Helium in my tyres. Makes the bike lighter on its feet and lets me perform my favourite squeaky voice party trick at coffee stops.
 
Out of curiousity, did the pics i posted yesterday @ 2:15 EST show up in the blog? I can't see them, just the...

[attachment=4933][attachment=4934][attachment=4935][attachment=4936][attachment=4937]

Just want to find out if posting them even worked. - Thanks
 
Rhinosaurus, can't see the pictures either yesterday or now.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Good point Kenny! Never thought of that. Personally I've always thought the nitrogen in passenger vehicle tires was mostly just nonsense and added profit for the dealer, or whoever sells N2. Racing, etc. well, different matter I guess.

I work as a civilian in Navy aviation and the Navy does use dry nitrogen in aircraft tires for all the reasons like corrosion, etc. Also in the big airborne radar I work on we use dry nitrogen in part of the transmission line to increase dielectric strength. But being dry, it also helps prevent corrosion. The rest of the line uses filtered and dried bleed air from the engines.
It also reduces the risk of an explosion due to an overheated tire or brake. Last thing you want is to retract an overheated wheel into the well, only to have it explode inside the aircraft structure. That could hurt!
 
Back
Top