2013 CB1100 Price (revisited)

Catbird_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I initially wanted a 2014 CB1100 primarily because of the gear indicator and the 6th gear as well as any other possible improvements that I'm unaware of from 2013 to 2014.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2013 standard model CB1100 with approximately 2 miles on the odometer from a local private party for $7,000 - $7,200. In your opinion, is this a good/fair/poor deal?

Note-
By reading some of the posts here, many owners feel that the 6th gear is often not used for local speeds of 60 mph and less. (?)
 
Catbird, a GI Pro gear indicator can very easily be added if you want. Plugs into the DTC connector (diagnostics port) and works great.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Catbird, a GI Pro gear indicator can very easily be added if you want. Plugs into the DTC connector (diagnostics port) and works great.
Thanks. If I end up buying the 2013, that will probably be my first accessory purchase.
 
Any CB you can buy new for $7000 or less is a good deal, and any time or shipping money you spend looking for one far beyond your local area will, in many cases, offset any savings. They are great bikes at a reasonable price. Is the '13 an ABS model? Mine is non- ABS, that's likely the only thing I would prefer to have, but I prefer the look of the 13 in red with the 4 into 1, so the added benefits of the '14 are not relevant to me. You will not, in the vast majority of situations, miss the 6th gear, and the engine is so flexible, that what gear you are in almost doesn't matter. Buy and enjoy!
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
Any CB you can buy new for $7000 or less is a good deal, and any time or shipping money you spend looking for one far beyond your local area will, in many cases, offset any savings. They are great bikes at a reasonable price. Is the '13 an ABS model? Mine is non- ABS, that's likely the only thing I would prefer to have, but I prefer the look of the 13 in red with the 4 into 1, so the added benefits of the '14 are not relevant to me. You will not, in the vast majority of situations, miss the 6th gear, and the engine is so flexible, that what gear you are in almost doesn't matter. Buy and enjoy!
No, I don't think it has ABS, but not absolutely sure.
 
Easy to tell. If it has a speed sensor ring on the front wheel, its ABS. If it only has a ring on the rear, it is NON ABS.
 
Catbird,

After riding my 13 for several months I thought it really needed a 6th gear to slow down RPMs out on the road. I've changed both front and rear sprockets (+1 front, -2 rear) and that lowered top gear RPM 10.5%. The 6th gear on the 14s slows it down 20%. My bike is acceptable with my new gears but I'd still rather have a 6 speed. I prefer the looks of the 13 CB and that along with my extensive mods has prevented me from trading. All the best.

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Catbird,

After riding my 13 for several months I thought it really needed a 6th gear to slow down RPMs out on the road. I've changed both front and rear sprockets (+1 front, -2 rear) and that lowered top gear RPM 10.5%. The 6th gear on the 14s slows it down 20%. My bike is acceptable with my new gears but I'd still rather have a 6 speed. I prefer the looks of the 13 CB and that along with my extensive mods has prevented me from trading. All the best.

Chip
Hmmm, I thought the 13s and 14s were virtually identical in the "looks" department.

The road to Armageddon is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
+1
 
Shape yes, looks no. The 14 is a very dark model with a lot of blacked out parts tank, sidecovers, fork legs, passenger grab rails, where the 13 is brighter for a lack of a better word red tank, silver side covers, silver fork legs and passenger grab rails gives it a completely different look, but the same shape.
 
6th gear is not needed.

If you are a RIDER and not a poser, a gear indicator is not needed. Your sense of sight, feeling, hearing, and sense of speed will always tell you what gear you are in and whether if it's the right gear for the conditions. Of course, everyone is different. I prefer not to look down at a gear indicator and waste precious time thinking:
" Hmmm... I'm going 42MPH and I'm in 4th gear... I wonder if I should be in 3rd?"

In the two seconds it takes to do that, you'll travel 120 feet with your eyes off the road.
 
Lol George George George.. How about cutting back on the rhetoric? If you don't like having a gear indicator, fine, say so.... but don't go besmirching those of us who do like gear indicators. I kinda consider myself a rider, I mean I have 50 years in the saddle on the street, have ridden in 42 states 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe. I ride 12 months of the year ...IN OHIO. I rode 27, 053 miles last year. Does that sound like a poser to you? I love my gear indicator and it's one of my favorite features of the bike. Doesn't take any longer to glance at the gear indicator than it does to look at the speedo or the tach or the fuel gauge or the turn signal indicator or at the myriad of other things you look at while riding.
 
Thread starter
For me, it's not that I "need" a gear indicator - if given the option, I'd like to have it just for occasional visual confirmation. Actually, one of my current bikes I ride is even sans tachometer. My other bike DOES have a gear indicator and I like it. I always ride with earplugs and so, for all intents and purposes, I lose the feedback from hearing the engine.

Additionally, over the past 35 (poser?) years of riding, I must confess maybe half a dozen times that I've forgotten to shift back down to 1st gear from a stop sign/light. The gear indicator might be nice to have.
 
I'm not specifically naming or calling anyone a poser.... just giving one point of view, not of any more value, nor any less either of other's opinions. But if my comment makes someone nervous, well....

Maybe just stirring the pot a little...:P all in good fun.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I'm not specifically naming or calling anyone a poser.... just giving one point of view, not of any more value, nor any less either of other's opinions. But if my comment makes someone nervous, well....

Maybe just stirring the pot a little...:P all in good fun.
Well. With that out of the way, A GI Pro is really, really easy to install and I love both mine. :banana:

Popgun--the poser :excited:
 
Catbird_imp said:
For me, it's not that I "need" a gear indicator - if given the option, I'd like to have it just for occasional visual confirmation. Actually, one of my current bikes I ride is even sans tachometer. My other bike DOES have a gear indicator and I like it. I always ride with earplugs and so, for all intents and purposes, I lose the feedback from hearing the engine.

Additionally, over the past 35 (poser?) years of riding, I must confess maybe half a dozen times that I've forgotten to shift back down to 1st gear from a stop sign/light. The gear indicator might be nice to have.
this is just one of my "things"
if it is a manual vehicle it should have a tachometer. (or at least a red line per gear at a given speed built into the speedometer as on my old rebel )

my 1996 chevy cavalier was a manual transmission but no tachometer.
the sportster came stock with just a speedo but i added the tachometer soon after delivery.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
I'm not specifically naming or calling anyone a poser.... just giving one point of view, not of any more value, nor any less either of other's opinions. But if my comment makes someone nervous, well....

Maybe just stirring the pot a little...:P all in good fun.
Well. With that out of the way, A GI Pro is really, really easy to install and I love both mine. :banana:

Popgun--the poser :excited:
A GiPro is actually the next item on my list to buy. I try to buy just one item at a time just to spread out my purchases...an admittedly weak attempt at controlling my purchase impulses. Now when are those new levers coming in so I can order my GiPro?!?!?
 
Back
Top