35K miles..living with the CB

Thread starter
jerrycon_imp said:
Very interesting that you never had the valves inspected. Nothing against my local shop or the other Honda shops in the area, but you just don't know who you're going to get as the technician when your bike is serviced. Regarding the valve inspection, the chance of an inexperienced tech causing a problem is greater than the chance of finding the valves significantly out of spec.

I believe I will have to follow your lead. As long as everything seems okay, I'm not going to let them open up the engine (while paying a small fortune for the risk). If I happen to befriend a master technician of proven competence, I will reconsider.

Jerry, my shop has a mastertech I trust. 35 years on the job and the only one that touches my bikes. He says it is very rare for a shim under bucket valve to go out of spec and that there are signs of a valve being out of spec...Hard starting, rough running, a drop in mileage, or excessive noise. He says if you're not having any of those issues you are wasting your money on a valve inspection. I forced him to check the valves in my ST at 54,000 miles, even though I wasn't having any symtoms. They were all in spec. It's now at 94,000 miles. I may have them inspected again at 100,000 just for grins. Well, a couple hundred dollars grins lol.

My brothers 2003 Bonneville had the same valve layout. He inspected his at 12,24 and 36,000 miles and all were in spec each time. So he quit inspecting them.

Now I believe each individual must make up their own mind on what to do with their own motorcycle. Honda recommends a valve " inspection" every 8,000 miles. Yamaha calls for it every 26,000 miles ( even on my FZ-1 which had 20 valves and ran up to 13,000 rpms and btw never had a valve out of spec in 50,000 miles. Are Yamaha valves and shims better? Does Yamaha build a more durable engine? If it gives you peace of mind by all means have your valves inspected every 8,000 miles. That's what Honda recommends. Ya takes your chances.
 
Cograts on the mileage ,but the way I figure it that would be at least $1500 in gas alone. You can buy a lot of hot dogs for that.
 
Maybe CA200, but riding is better for you than hot dogs.
 
Thread starter
CA200_imp said:
Cograts on the mileage ,but the way I figure it that would be at least $1500 in gas alone. You can buy a lot of hot dogs for that.
YES you can. I buy them 10 packs at a time when they are on sale (Kahn's Hot Dogs 2pks of 10 for $5) and freeze them so as to save money for gas for my motorcycles :thumbsup:


BTW why DO hot dogs come in packs of 10 but the buns are in packs of 8 ? :@
 
Is that a riddle? I give up. Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 and buns in packs of 8?
 
Thread starter
Not a riddle, it's the truth, and I have no idea. Makes no sense to me.
 
The ferret_imp said:
jerrycon_imp said:
Very interesting that you never had the valves inspected. Nothing against my local shop or the other Honda shops in the area, but you just don't know who you're going to get as the technician when your bike is serviced. Regarding the valve inspection, the chance of an inexperienced tech causing a problem is greater than the chance of finding the valves significantly out of spec.

I believe I will have to follow your lead. As long as everything seems okay, I'm not going to let them open up the engine (while paying a small fortune for the risk). If I happen to befriend a master technician of proven competence, I will reconsider.

Jerry, my shop has a mastertech I trust. 35 years on the job and the only one that touches my bikes. He says it is very rare for a shim under bucket valve to go out of spec and that there are signs of a valve being out of spec...Hard starting, rough running, a drop in mileage, or excessive noise. He says if you're not having any of those issues you are wasting your money on a valve inspection. I forced him to check the valves in my ST at 54,000 miles, even though I wasn't having any symtoms. They were all in spec. It's now at 94,000 miles. I may have them inspected again at 100,000 just for grins. Well, a couple hundred dollars grins lol.

My brothers 2003 Bonneville had the same valve layout. He inspected his at 12,24 and 36,000 miles and all were in spec each time. So he quit inspecting them.

Now I believe each individual must make up their own mind on what to do with their own motorcycle. Honda recommends a valve " inspection" every 8,000 miles. Yamaha calls for it every 26,000 miles ( even on my FZ-1 which had 20 valves and ran up to 13,000 rpms and btw never had a valve out of spec in 50,000 miles. Are Yamaha valves and shims better? Does Yamaha build a more durable engine? If it gives you peace of mind by all means have your valves inspected every 8,000 miles. That's what Honda recommends. Ya takes your chances.
Congrats Ferret!

BTW, the Bonneville is shim OVER bucket....not sure it matters
 
Congrats ferret :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My CB just rolled over 3,600 miles so I'll probably never achieve your milestone.
My modest fleet of bikes are all on the road so each one gets a turn which means that none get a lot of use over our fairly short summer.
 
The ferret_imp said:
That is a cool little rig, I've always just carried a bicycle lock and locked our helmets to the handle bars (each hanging on a mirror).

We always wear ballistic nylon jackets and pants when touring, if we stop at a tourist spot or to eat we strip down to shorts and sandals and ball all our gear up into this Pacsafe (used a lot by hikers) and lock it to the tourpak. We haven't had anything stolen yet.

http://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-85l-...r/10180.html?cgid=backpack-protectors#start=1
 
The ferret_imp said:
CA200_imp said:
Cograts on the mileage ,but the way I figure it that would be at least $1500 in gas alone. You can buy a lot of hot dogs for that.
YES you can. I buy them 10 packs at a time when they are on sale (Kahn's Hot Dogs 2pks of 10 for $5) and freeze them so as to save money for gas for my motorcycles :thumbsup:


BTW why DO hot dogs come in packs of 10 but the buns are in packs of 8 ? :@
YES you can. I buy them 10 packs at a time when they are on sale (Kahn's Hot Dogs 2pks of 10 for $5) and freeze them so as to save money for gas for my motorcycles :thumbsup:


BTW why DO hot dogs come in packs of 10 but the buns are in packs of 8 ? :@

That's easy. 8 dogs go in buns and 2 dogs get sliced up and fried with my eggs, lol.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
Congrats ferret :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My CB just rolled over 3,600 miles so I'll probably never achieve your milestone.
My modest fleet of bikes are all on the road so each one gets a turn which means that none get a lot of use over our fairly short summer.
Which is why I went from 6 bikes in the garage to 2! ;)

Banned_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
That is a cool little rig, I've always just carried a bicycle lock and locked our helmets to the handle bars (each hanging on a mirror).

We always wear ballistic nylon jackets and pants when touring, if we stop at a tourist spot or to eat we strip down to shorts and sandals and ball all our gear up into this Pacsafe (used a lot by hikers) and lock it to the tourpak. We haven't had anything stolen yet.

http://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-85l-...r/10180.html?cgid=backpack-protectors#start=1
That is a cool little rig, I've always just carried a bicycle lock and locked our helmets to the handle bars (each hanging on a mirror).

We always wear ballistic nylon jackets and pants when touring, if we stop at a tourist spot or to eat we strip down to shorts and sandals and ball all our gear up into this Pacsafe (used a lot by hikers) and lock it to the tourpak. We haven't had anything stolen yet.

http://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-85l-...r/10180.html?cgid=backpack-protectors#start=1
I'm afraid I'd get that tangled up and never get it untangled. I get bowstringers tied in knots in my pocket which is a straight string with a leather cup on each end. Never have figured how I carefully wind it up and put it in my pocket and when I get it out it looks like Charlotte's Web :dodgy:

curlyjoe_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
CA200_imp said:
Cograts on the mileage ,but the way I figure it that would be at least $1500 in gas alone. You can buy a lot of hot dogs for that.
YES you can. I buy them 10 packs at a time when they are on sale (Kahn's Hot Dogs 2pks of 10 for $5) and freeze them so as to save money for gas for my motorcycles :thumbsup:


BTW why DO hot dogs come in packs of 10 but the buns are in packs of 8 ? :@
YES you can. I buy them 10 packs at a time when they are on sale (Kahn's Hot Dogs 2pks of 10 for $5) and freeze them so as to save money for gas for my motorcycles :thumbsup:


BTW why DO hot dogs come in packs of 10 but the buns are in packs of 8 ? :@

That's easy. 8 dogs go in buns and 2 dogs get sliced up and fried with my eggs, lol.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YES you can. I buy them 10 packs at a time when they are on sale (Kahn's Hot Dogs 2pks of 10 for $5) and freeze them so as to save money for gas for my motorcycles :thumbsup:


BTW why DO hot dogs come in packs of 10 but the buns are in packs of 8 ? :@

That's easy. 8 dogs go in buns and 2 dogs get sliced up and fried with my eggs, lol.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
or in with the pork n beans for beans and weinies ;)

Banned_imp said:
Oh, and congrats on the milestone.

You seem to have dropped the ST1100 from your sig line???
Did not realize that . When Guth shortened the sig line I took a bunch of stuff out so membres didn't have to scroll and musta took it out by mistake. Still got it. Rode it 92 miles on today's ride. :thumbsup:
 
Congratulations on your riding adventure(s) so far on your "herd"... for this pony... it was also nice what you did NOT need to mention... like having to flush/change/check the coolant... no drips from the "weep-hole" from water pump!... like chasing coolant leaks & discovering that certain coolant galleys have started leaking due to stress cracks in block in thin areas of coolant circuit...I especially fondly read your statement that you have not "stressed" your CB1100 by staying lower than 6K RPM... there is great pleasure for some of us to "be in our zone" while riding 55-65 mph on secondary roads... best of luck & continued skill-level for your next mileage milestone!
 
:clap:
Quite an accomplishment Ferret!
Looking at your pictures, it was probably one of your posts where I got the idea to get chrome gauge covers from Mr. T. [/u]
 
Congratulations on reaching that far, may you double it with no major issues!
I just gave my bike its first clean after about 8 weeks, finally cleaned most of the dealer chain grease off the (spoked), back wheel and polished the tank... looks like new again :thumbsup:

Love this forum, cheers.
 
Back
Top