1981 -82 CB 900 F Super Sport

Bigskyorbust_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Anyone own or have experience with one of these beauties? Was picking up my bike late Saturday from the dealer after 8k service was done and they had an '81 out front just like the picture here ( did not get to snap a photo of the actual bike ).

Loved the styling and look of this bike . Read up a bit on it and I believe it put out about 94-95 hp up around 8500 rpm. Sounds like it was a screamer and would be a blast to ride .

This bike the dealer had was about 38 k on the clock and while in decent condition they wanted too much for it . Looks like cleaner lower mile options have been out there in the past . There was also a sharp silver / blue model.

Intrigued by this bike as a possible mile splitter down the road .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
I never owned one but I was a Honda dealer at the time and did sell them. The 900 was my favorite iteration of the surpersport 4 cyls. The trouble with owning one today as with any nearly 40 year old motorcycle is keeping them running and finding parts for them when they quit. Electrical stuff mostly, but rubber parts too. Carbs can be a pain if you don't ride a lot, and the chains weren't so good back then either. Other than that, typical Honda, with proper care will fun into the next century.
 
Thread starter
Agreed .. it would be a lot of responsibility and work to keep one of these old guys running .. much easier and in all honesty more rewarding in most regards to go with a more modern bike as a second option to split miles .

But the styling on some of the older bikes just calls to you !

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
I agree with ferret. My next door neighbor has an all-original '81 CB750F with 18k miles. His bike shares a lot of engine and chassis parts with the CB900F. He has constant issues with the stator and carbs, and has had a tough time finding new parts. His bike also suffers from weepy gaskets and seals. Like my ex-'73 RD350, they're lovely bikes to look at but the ownership experience requires a commitment and leaves something to be desired. As a daily rider, I'd pass.
 
This is the exact bike i'm modelling all of modifications after. LOVE that paint job, love that shape and feel. Part of me wants to buy one in 4 or 5 years just to park it next to mine, but I know I don't have the mechanical chops to keep it running right. I once purchased a Goldwing from this era and regretted every second of ownership.
 
They were a nice looking and nice performing bike back then, but everyone else had bigger engines and handled better, despite the FVQ (Fade Very Quickly) shocks. I remember there were valve sealing issues with them, and they still leaked at the head gaskets despite the spiral studs. The generator brushes wore out, and if the thin-walled generator cover was bent a little from a fall, it would cause the windings to rub on the rotor.
Best to take a picture of it and stick it on your fridge with a magnet.
 
Thread starter
Sound advice and experience appreciated ! Bike really is a looker as are the even older CB's , but with my limited mechanical expertise that is most likely what I would be doing the majority of the time .. looking at it .


Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
I owned one back in the early 90s. Never had any problems with it. Front forks were a little soft, but springs fixed that. I really enjoyed the bike.
 
Not surprising, but the bike in the photo doesn't have the original 4 into 2 exhaust. That omission alone, at least for me, would be sufficient to keep walking. OE replacements are likely unobtanium.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Not surprising, but the bike in the photo doesn't have the original 4 into 2 exhaust. That omission alone, at least for me, would be sufficient to keep walking. OE replacements are likely unobtanium.
Correct .. I grabbed a quick shot for reference .. good catch there . The bike I was looking at was a 4 into 2 setup. With the mileage on the clock and what they were asking I ( respectfully as possible ) told them they were crazy . But it got me thinking about other , better options for one of these bikes .



Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
Bigskyorbust_imp said:
Anyone own or have experience with one of these beauties? Was picking up my bike late Saturday from the dealer after 8k service was done and they had an '81 out front just like the picture here ( did not get to snap a photo of the actual bike ).

Loved the styling and look of this bike . Read up a bit on it and I believe it put out about 94-95 hp up around 8500 rpm. Sounds like it was a screamer and would be a blast to ride .

This bike the dealer had was about 38 k on the clock and while in decent condition they wanted too much for it . Looks like cleaner lower mile options have been out there in the past . There was also a sharp silver / blue model.

Intrigued by this bike as a possible mile splitter down the road .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
I owned an '81 silver/blue CB750F Super Sport. It came with cumbersome dual 2 into 2 mufflers. It gained a lot of power and got nimble when I replaced those with a 4 into 1 Vance and Hines. Oddly, those dual mufflers had a cross tube running between them under the bike. What's the point!

Even at +500 lbs, the CB750F seemed light. It was a good, dependable bike, and easy to ride. Other than the carburetor float valves getting stuck now and again, I never had a bit of trouble with it. I always felt that it could have been improved with a fork brace, but I never found one I liked. The 750 really didn't have enough power to be comfortable on the highway, although I never hesitated to take it there.

I recently saw a restored '81 CB750F advertised as a classic, and priced at 7K. I never imagined at the time that I was riding "a classic". In fact, I was rather disappointed I wasn't riding a CB750 from the '70s. The truth is I thought the CB750F was an ugly, over-styled bike back then. Now, these many years later, I am charmed by it. It's like Walter Houston's character, Noah Cross, said in the movie Chinatown, " 'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough."
 
A friend has a nicely fettled 900, and left it with me for a weekend a while back. Back to back with the CB, it was like riding a lawn tractor. But it had its charms, and is a fine looking machine. It also sent fewer vibes through the bars and seat than my CB did, which surprised me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Classic bikes are great fun to look at and talk about. Hours of reminiscing. Greatest thing ever for a friend to own and maintain.
Me? I love the old CX500-650’s and actually go look at a GL1000 when offered for sale locally.
 
I have owned 2 of these. One identical to the one pictured and an ‘81 model in silver w/blue stripes. The ‘81 was my all time favorite bike. Loved it. Fast, comfortable and sounded great with a Kerker 4 into 1. Also owned a couple of 1980 750F’s. One of each color. All four were tough reliable bikes.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
They were a nice looking and nice performing bike back then, but everyone else had bigger engines and handled better, despite the FVQ (Fade Very Quickly) shocks. I remember there were valve sealing issues with them, and they still leaked at the head gaskets despite the spiral studs. The generator brushes wore out, and if the thin-walled generator cover was bent a little from a fall, it would cause the windings to rub on the rotor.
Best to take a picture of it and stick it on your fridge with a magnet.
Would this suffice as something better than a picture on the fridge door?
(a 1/12th scale replica)
 
Back
Top