12 for 12 in 2014

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Great work, Ferret.
 
Thread starter
CA200_imp said:
Great job ferret, but even at 50mpg I could not afford the gas to do half that.
Yea riding a motorcycle is not cheap. Besides approx. 500 gallons of gas it also took 4 tires and 6 oil changes.

Next year I'm cutting back my goal... to 15,000 miles.
 
Well done. I like that second photo. Another couple of degrees less and the base down a bit and that's freezing fog. Do you get that in Ohio? I've ridden in that stuff in the Netherlands. Cold only relieved by the fear of being rear ended by some crazy Dutchman. It tends to bring out the depressive in me, but in someone else's photos it has a mood that's kind of appealing. Your summer photos are so full of colour and light that winter looks like you are on a different planet. ST looks good. Aren't you glad you weren't out on the CB, or the long gone Nighthawk?

Cheers,
 
Thread starter
I was worried a bit today in two instances..(1) I forgot to take my flo yellow green reflective safety vests which would have made me far more visible to cagers. Thought it was in the trunk. Ends up it was in my gear closet upstairs. and (2) I had one downhill left curve bridge over a creek I had to ride over on my route home. They can often be colder below than above and can get quite slippery. I transversed it cautiously and it was no issue today.

A couple degrees colder and this kind of fog just puts a ultra thin layer of ice on everything. At 32 or lower it can be an issue at 34 and above it's usually ok.
 
I tip my helmet to you for riding in all 12 months.
The weather here is too brutal in the winter and too variable to even think of riding between December and March.
Too cold; too much black ice; too much salt and sand; just plain too risky and not that much fun.
My bikes have been put away since 1 November although there was the odd day in November that it was decent enough to ride.
But to me, it's just not worth the bother to keep a bike serviced and ready to ride.
I'm retired so I can ride anytime I want in warmer weather.
 
I was told CHP parks the bikes at below 39 degrees because you can still have ice patches in the shady sections.
I don't worry about that because that is still below my personal comfort zone of 45 degrees and above.
This month, we have the wet leaves and the mush of smashed leaves left behind after they push the leaf piles along the roads to make bigger piles.
 
Thread starter
What can I say? I love riding and have been riding year round since 1965. Back when warm motorcycle gear was basically non existent. We have it so much better now. The gear is better, the motorcycles are better and the road conditions haven't changed much.

I can understand not taking the risk if you don't want to. I'm not encouraging anyone to ride in any conditions they are not comfortable with. There are dangerous conditions on the highway 24/7/365... Traffic, farm equipment, animals, oil, anti freeze, sun blindness, gravel, wind, rain. Winter riding just adds another layer of danger you have to watch out for..black ice, slippery over passes, salt piles, wet leaves ( although that's a fall hazard really) and traffic that is no longer used to seeing motorcycles on the road to name a few.

Like any other time of the year I rely on experience and good gear to keep me safe. So far so good. Heading out in about 45 mins for a ride.I love riding! Lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
What can I say? I love riding and have been riding year round since 1965. Back when warm motorcycle gear was basically non existent. We have it so much better now. The gear is better, the motorcycles are better and the road conditions haven't changed much.

I can understand not taking the risk if you don't want to. I'm not encouraging anyone to ride in any conditions they are not comfortable with. There are dangerous conditions on the highway 24/7/365... Traffic, farm equipment, animals, oil, anti freeze, sun blindness, gravel, wind, rain. Winter riding just adds another layer of danger you have to watch out for..black ice, slippery over passes, salt piles, wet leaves ( although that's a fall hazard really) and traffic that is no longer used to seeing motorcycles on the road to name a few.

Like any other time of the year I rely on experience and good gear to keep me safe. So far so good. Heading out in about 45 mins for a ride.I love riding! Lol
I with you Ferret, i never winterize my bikes and ride all winter. Anything above 35 and dry and I'm out riding. I just bought a butt ugly national cycle plexistar 2 to combat the winter elements. It fits right on the hardware for my street shield EX. Should have it tomorrow, button it up and I'm good to go this winter:thumbsup:
 
I've been riding every month of the year for the past fee years now. That's not too hard to do here in Oregon as the climate is fairly mild overall. Lots of grey, damp weather for much of the year that's manageable with decent gear. When ice and/or snow is a strong possibility, the bikes remain parked in the garage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I feel blessed. Here in SE Queensland, Australia, there's no reason not to ride all year round.
 
The ferret_imp said:
What can I say? I love riding and have been riding year round since 1965. Back when warm motorcycle gear was basically non existent. We have it so much better now. The gear is better, the motorcycles are better and the road conditions haven't changed much.

I can understand not taking the risk if you don't want to. I'm not encouraging anyone to ride in any conditions they are not comfortable with. There are dangerous conditions on the highway 24/7/365... Traffic, farm equipment, animals, oil, anti freeze, sun blindness, gravel, wind, rain. Winter riding just adds another layer of danger you have to watch out for..black ice, slippery over passes, salt piles, wet leaves ( although that's a fall hazard really) and traffic that is no longer used to seeing motorcycles on the road to name a few.

Like any other time of the year I rely on experience and good gear to keep me safe. So far so good. Heading out in about 45 mins for a ride.I love riding! Lol
Ferret,please don't think I was suggesting you shouldn't ride. I admire the heck out of you guys that are hard core. I was only speaking of my own preferences and limitations. I know with heated gear I could manage it in worse circumstances than I ride now, but the whole desire is not there for me to go out in less conditions, nor to buy more gear. Heck, I own like six jackets for riding, I seem to be always looking for something better, and anyways, the wife says enough of being a closet hog!
 
Thread starter
126 miles today. Great ride. Weather was much nicer. Went from 36 degrees all the way to 41 before dropping back to 39. Got new doughnuts on the ST. Got 13,243 miles out of a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's. That's a lot of miles on a bike that weighs more than 700 pounds. Only going to get 9,000 out of the Dunlops on my CB. New Pilot Road 3s are at the shop waiting for my wheels. Oh and I swung by the spot I took yesterdays pics and took another for comparison

Yesterday



Today

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/newPilotRoad4GTs012_zpsc5c51e2b.jpg.html]
 
Way to go, Ferret! You've hit your target and then some. Loos better today. :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
126 miles today. Great ride. Weather was much nicer. Went from 36 degrees all the way to 41 before dropping back to 39. Got new doughnuts on the ST. Got 13,243 miles out of a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's. That's a lot of miles on a bike that weighs more than 700 pounds. Only going to get 9,000 out of the Dunlops on my CB. New Pilot Road 3s are at the shop waiting for my wheels. Oh and I swung by the spot I took yesterdays pics and took another for comparison

Yesterday



Today

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/newPilotRoad4GTs012_zpsc5c51e2b.jpg.html]

Did you forget something in the garage today????? I guess its easier to change tires without them on.
 
Thread starter
CIP good eye .... yea took the saddlebags off for the tire change. Didn't want the mech to have to mess with them at the shop. Looks like a sport bike now huh? a 717 pound sport bike lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
CIP good eye .... yea took the saddlebags off for the tire change. Didn't want the mech to have to mess with them at the shop. Looks like a sport bike now huh? a 717 pound sport bike lol.
I miss my ST, those hard bags where so easy to take off the bike, and the rear shock adjustment, just a well designed and put together bike. Not to mention how easy the oil change was, no removal of any plastics, just some tin foil so the oil didn't get on the exhaust:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Can't imagine my garage without that ST in it.
 
Back
Top