10w30 vs. 10w40

misterprofessionality_imp said:
Where I live it's oppressively hot 3/4 of the year, and it's very easy to get caught in gridlock traffic, so i'm a 10w40 full synthetic guy.
^^+1^^
 
See the post titled "Viscosity knowledge"
I'm in SoCal and only run 10W-40. I fear it's still too thin on days like today...
 
Yes to both questions.
 
I use 10/40 because of the warmer weather here in NC , if you mix the two half and half you have a 10/35 , no problem with that.
 
Up here in the deep south Ontario Canada in -25C winter and +40C summer 10W40 appears to work just fine on the ol' air cooled CB1100. I never used 10W30 non-synth during summer. It was like water (okay, once it was used).

Ultimately I ended up using 5W40 synthetic.
 
I posed that question a while back. Really hot in the mid- south, in the summer 10/40 and winter 10/ 30 - half and 10/40 half . The bike seems to like it .
 
My two bits, just remember the following : Honda bikes should never run on modern, full synthetic. Summer or winter temps have nothing to do with it.

From somewhere on the internet (I kept it in my files without url):
Car oils have been used up to 1998 as the base for most motorcycle oils. But as the technology in cars evolved, the oils were modified to meet those modern needs. As a result, additives were added and friction modifiers were blended with the oil. Although these modifications were positive for use in cars, they were damaging to motorcycles. This was especially the case with motorcycle gearboxes and clutches. Unlike with cars, motorcycles don’t use a separate oil for the gearbox, causing the clutches to slip due to the friction modifiers. It also could attribute to gearbox pitting (localised corrosion and the formation of micro-cracks). Oil in motorcycles and scooters is required to run under more intense conditions than in cars because it has to endure hotter temperatures as well as higher engine speed and a greater power density. These circumstances subject the oil to significant operating stress.
Our CB requires JASO MA or JASO MA2 oil.

I know you asked about viscosity, but I think this question is secondary to the issue raised above. No doubt, if your bike sees an extreme temperature range between winter and summer (more than 40 degrees ?) you have to address this problem. On the other hand Japan has extreme weather zones, and the user manual states 10W-30 as a house number.
 
There are plenty of synthetic MOTOR CYCLE OILS perfectly fine for Honda motorcycles , just do NOT use synthetic CAR oils in our bikes !
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the input. I’m usually only riding when it’s above 50 (getting older) so 10-40 should be ok.
 
Boonetown_imp said:
Thanks for all the input. I’m usually only riding when it’s above 50 (getting older) so 10-40 should be ok.
That pretty well sums it up:

* 10W40
* 6 speed is the best
* Any colour but red

:D
 
I'm in Southern California, I've always ran Honda oil 10/40. And used Honda filters. Just about to hit 89,000 miles on my bike. Never had a problem...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Boonetown_imp said:
Thanks for all the input. I’m usually only riding when it’s above 50 (getting older) so 10-40 should be ok.
That pretty well sums it up:

* 10W40
* 6 speed is the best
* Any colour but red

:D
That pretty well sums it up:

* 10W40
* 6 speed is the best
* Any colour but red

:D
^^+1 & white^^
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Boonetown_imp said:
Thanks for all the input. I’m usually only riding when it’s above 50 (getting older) so 10-40 should be ok.
That pretty well sums it up:

* 10W40
* 6 speed is the best
* Any colour but red

:D
That pretty well sums it up:

* 10W40
* 6 speed is the best
* Any colour but red

:D
^^+1 & white^^
That pretty well sums it up:

* 10W40
* 6 speed is the best
* Any colour but red

:D
^^+1 & white^^
Of course, I was only kiddin'.

ALL CB1100s are a thing of greatness.
 
MMC_imp said:
I'm in Southern California, I've always ran Honda oil 10/40. And used Honda filters. Just about to hit 89,000 miles on my bike. Never had a problem...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
:thumbsup: 89K that's awesome!
 
My contribution to the oil thread.

Picked this up at the bike show last weekend.

8a389937b982c4ccdcbfa43bc082a7be.jpg


fed01d7ed613c017443d22a7198bfe6f.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Does the stuff in the Triumph bottle make you handsome, or is it to be applied only to the faces of the handsome?
 
I like talking about oil. I also think, 10-40 is just fine, all the more so in the hotter areas. I used to live in Central MS, so I know what Summer hot is.

Not hard to get a ‘motorcycle oil’ these days, even Supertech has some labeled as such. In the Summer I hardly ever allow much of a warmup, though start the drive gently. If cooler I may give it more time.
 
Back
Top