You're kidding, right?

Scotty_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So a couple of you guys noted that I could polish up my headers. I bought the shiz and started applying. I think you're hazing me: the pipes sure felt smoother, but they don't appear much better.
 
You really have to cut a T-shirt into long strips and “shoe-shine” the pipe. And it will be a fair amount of work.

I use Autosol Blueing Remover after a member showed us the results you get with it. You have to order it from overseas usually and it isn’t cheap. Works GREAT! and is nasty stuff. Wear gloves, eye protection. It contains hydrocloric acid and is made in Germany.
 
I've had really good results maintain with Blue magic!
It's an ongoing battle to keep the stainless shiny!
Plus use of a 1200/ 1500 grade polish sponge to apply!
The key is to maintain without letting orange oxidation to deepen in color , usually once a month deep cleaning!

Good luck!
d89d03457ba80270dcf64b69e0592256.jpg
511d03555fe03b67c52e0ec295412825.jpg
38ac8ac2ddfc0eb0aee38413759291ad.jpg


2013 Cb 1100 "
 
Scotty, Thanks for “making” me look up the Autosol. Turns out someone hacked my Amazon account. They didn’t get in, but did kill my password while trying to get in. Thats all good now.

So I ordered another bottle of the stuff. It lasts a long time though.
 
Blue Magic works great for me too. It's six bucks at Walmart. Spend the 45 minutes now to get them all nice and shined up, and if you want to keep them that way easily, hit them again when they start to turn gold, before the little spots show up.

I usually spend about 15 minutes every two weeks, and they stay looking like new.
 
Well then it would Semialuminum polish right? :P

Their website says its good for just about any metal, including aluminum, chrome, stainless steel, copper... and “even plexiglas”
 
Anyone here in Ottawa with a British motorcycle in the 1960s was familiar with the Autosol paste. I still use it on the headers of my CB1100 EX when they are really grubby.

I spread a line of the paste down the front of the headers. Then use a cheap stretchy white sock wrapped twice around the header twice to polish the pipes. I bought a package of 10 pair of socks in Walmart for $10. Autosol takes a little elbow grease and turns the sock black, so nitrite gloves area good thought.

In a pinch, mufflers can be polished with Colgate toothpaste. I learned that in a surprise wash and shine contest at a motorcycle rally.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
I have decided to call the dark coloring a feature.
Quite right, Sir Robert. If Honda had wanted them to stay shiny, they’d be double-wall chrome. Right?
 
Yoshimura Stain Magic.....it really is magic. Cuts the elbow grease factor at least in half. Then hit briefly with the simchrome or autosol for the final polish.
 
Back
Top