Your Last Bike Before the CB?

WOW LongRanger that 73 RD is gorgeous.. sure brings back some memories for me. First street bike I bought new as an engaged man. I was 23 in 1973 and sold a pan head Harley chopperto buy one about 7 months before I got married. My wife and I toured 2 up on "ours", of course we were much younger, much skinnier and able to put up with the rigors of riding 2 up on such a small bike. Had a Yamaha luggage rack and backrest. We even carried camping gear (a small 2 man pup tent and a blow up air mattress. We covered up with our jackets and rolled up sweatshirts for pillows.) lol. Boy those were the days. I saw one not too long ago and man was it little. She has been my touring partner ever since so she must not have minded too much, although now she prefers the rear pillion on my ST 1300 with passenger floor boards and a trunk to lean on, and a Holiday Inn Express for bedding .
 
And that's the thing -- we all loved these bikes back in the day and rode them everywhere with nary a concern. I rode a CB400F SuperSport back then and took it on 1000-mile days before there was an IBA. But after being spoiled by your ST1300 and my K1200RS (and others), suddenly these '70's bikes seem inadequate for anything other than a sedate Sunday afternoon ride. Two up with camping gear? I can't imagine!
 
I did much the same on my cb400f. I loved it and would do countless miles back and forth to college and girlfriends homes, all over Texas. But we were also just a bit younger then :beerchug: I would put out the passenger pegs and lie on the tank for hours without a care, cruising at 85 down I-10, usually tucked behind a semi so as to save gas. I tried that riding position the other day on the 1100 (not the semi part) and it was fine except that my neck won't let me look forward from that position any more :-( I also feel much more susceptible to death than I did back in the day.
It occurs to me now that I never carried any tools beyond what might live under the seat and certainly never had a patch kit or pump along. The front break pads stuck once and so I just removed them and rode for another year before saving enough to fix them. Jeez, I was an idiot. But I had fun.
For the record, that bike's top end (on 1-45, Houston to Galveston, 4 AM) was 114 indicated. :excited::rofl:
 
My last ride was a mint condition '92 Nighthawk with 83,000 on the clock.
I traded it in towards the 1100. I still kinda regret getting rid of it as it was such a great bike but I simply do not have the room for three bikes....... or do I? :)

I also have a 75' CB400F SS that I'm restoring. I put 10K on it before I dismantled her.
It's a fun little screamer, but not practical for rides beyond city limits.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Great story! How I survived without ATGATT back then is a mystery. And earplugs? What's that?
Sorry, I missed that. Could you speak up??

:s
LARIDER_imp said:
My last ride was a mint condition '92 Nighthawk with 83,000 on the clock.
I traded it in towards the 1100. I still kinda regret getting rid of it as it was such a great bike but I simply do not have the room for three bikes....... or do I? :)

I also have a 75' CB400F SS that I'm restoring. I put 10K on it before I dismantled her.
It's a fun little screamer, but not practical for rides beyond city limits.
Pics!
 
kennyw_imp said:
I had this 1982 CB750C for a couple months. I purchased it for the sole purpose of finding parking at school plus I had been without a bike for a couple years. It was a great bike other than pod filters filling with water in heavy rain and bad brakes.

3c4543507c7668213a86666674c5268e.jpg
Going farther back.

d6b5905e69ddf6754b3345ac4abb7227.jpg


This was my first bike. 1982 Honda V45 Magna VF750C.
 
My previous and first bike was a 2009 Triumph Street Triple R. A fun bike to learn on, and one of the lightest motorcycles that I know of, it was the right choice for a beginner who didn't want to get bored on a cheap learner bike. I'll admit now that the styling, both then and today, never really grew on me. I guess it's just a British thing, right? Well I'm in my mid-30s now, and the high-strung personality of that bike just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

And I must say, for the reviews of the Street Triple who say it offers "all day comfort", that is totally, 100%, Grade-A NONSENSE.
The seat and forward lean would wear you out well before the sun went down, and even if it didn't, you wouldn't be able to see anything because the headlights were pretty much just there for show. The 3-banger always did sound cool though. Definitely need to find me some exhaust for the CB1100.
 
My last bike was a 2006 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic. It was a great highway ride, but the CB is much easier to live with.

 
My only bike before the CB was also my first motorcycle, a motorscopter.



A year prior to the motorscoot I already bought a small 50cc scooter.
I still have the 50cc Honda scooter though, its a keeper :)
 
Harley 883 Iron. Very cool bike particularly to non-motorcycle people. Great bike if all you want to do is look cool locally. If you want to ride it more than 15-20 miles at a time don't buy one. CB is superior in every way but sound.
 
glenridgerich_imp said:
Harley 883 Iron. Very cool bike particularly to non-motorcycle people. Great bike if all you want to do is look cool locally. If you want to ride it more than 15-20 miles at a time don't buy one. CB is superior in every way but sound.
I thought about one too but then found the CB. Don't regret it at all! The 883 Iron is one good-looking bike though.
My first (and only) bike before the CB - a Cleveland Cyclewerks Misfit. I'm lucky I didn't die on that thing.
ddfa544296ab7d2a6428fa11c3807db5.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
c-breezy_imp said:
glenridgerich_imp said:
Harley 883 Iron. Very cool bike particularly to non-motorcycle people. Great bike if all you want to do is look cool locally. If you want to ride it more than 15-20 miles at a time don't buy one. CB is superior in every way but sound.
I thought about one too but then found the CB. Don't regret it at all! The 883 Iron is one good-looking bike though.
My first (and only) bike before the CB - a Cleveland Cyclewerks Misfit. I'm lucky I didn't die on that thing.
ddfa544296ab7d2a6428fa11c3807db5.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL many of us have had bikes we said that about
 
The ferret_imp said:
c-breezy_imp said:
glenridgerich_imp said:
Harley 883 Iron. Very cool bike particularly to non-motorcycle people. Great bike if all you want to do is look cool locally. If you want to ride it more than 15-20 miles at a time don't buy one. CB is superior in every way but sound.
I thought about one too but then found the CB. Don't regret it at all! The 883 Iron is one good-looking bike though.
My first (and only) bike before the CB - a Cleveland Cyclewerks Misfit. I'm lucky I didn't die on that thing.
ddfa544296ab7d2a6428fa11c3807db5.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL many of us have had bikes we said that about
All I know is that this 250cc Chinese-made bike on 55-60 MPH speed limit Irvine streets (meaning everyone was going at least 5-10 MPH faster) had me feeling like I was living out Mad Max in real life!
 
1981 Yamaha XJ 650 Maxim. Gifted to me non-running from my dad (who bought it new) in 2000. I rode this thing through college and grad school and put on around 65,000kms over 6 years, for 105,000 total. Took the carbs apart for the umpteenth time, got sick of it, and gave it away to a guy who wanted to get it running -- though I'm guessing that didn't happen as the entire bike was basically dead at this point. Life got in the way and took a break from riding until 2013 when I bought the CB -- I guess you could say that in terms of retro bikes, I went from the ground floor to the penthouse.

Looking, back the thing was a total POS, but I loved it and still think fondly of it. There is definitely truth when people say 'just get a bike, any bike, and go ride.'

d152d5858c2c2e1a62d521f5d1982ed3.jpg


6a961c71d450ca98512a93d78bba8e41.jpg
 
kmoney_imp said:
1981 Yamaha XJ 650 Maxim. Gifted to me non-running from my dad (who bought it new) in 2000. I rode this thing through college and grad school and put on around 65,000kms over 6 years, for 105,000 total. Took the carbs apart for the umpteenth time, got sick of it, and gave it away to a guy who wanted to get it running -- though I'm guessing that didn't happen as the entire bike was basically dead at this point. Life got in the way and took a break from riding until 2013 when I bought the CB -- I guess you could say that in terms of retro bikes, I went from the ground floor to the penthouse.

Looking, back the thing was a total POS, but I loved it and still think fondly of it. There is definitely truth when people say 'just get a bike, any bike, and go ride.'

d152d5858c2c2e1a62d521f5d1982ed3.jpg


6a961c71d450ca98512a93d78bba8e41.jpg
I have a special place in my heart for the '81 XJ 650. It was my first exposure to the smooth, powerful wonder that is the inline 4 motorcycle. I'd been riding slow, shaky, medium sized twins when my buddy offered to let me ride his '81 650 Maxim. I recall starting the bike and wondering if the engine was actually running.:D Sorry to hear yours turned into a maintenance hog. When they were new they were a joy to ride.
 
Back
Top